Scheduled charging with Podpoint Solo

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
djm25djm25

Post by djm25djm25 »

Hi

Complete Newbie, so apologies if I'm being stupid. Had my ID.3 Life Pro for nearly 3 weeks now and only just got a podpoint solo installed a couple of days ago. Since then, I have been trying to get a scheduled charge set up to take advantage of Octopus Go night time rates.

There is no schedule set in the car. I haven't even set up any charging locations in the car. In the podpoint app I have set up a scheduled charge for each day. For today, I've tried setting up a short charge to prove it was working. As soon as I plug the charge cable in to the car, it starts charging. If I stop the charge from the cars touchscreen, the podpoint then starts flashing green to indicate that it is waiting to start a charge scheduled by the car.

Am I doing something stupid, or is there a problem somewhere either with the car or the podpoint.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

David

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Unplug the car, set the Pod Point schedule, wait 10 minutes, plug in and see what happens.

The light at the bottom of the unit will be green if outside of the schedule window, and blue when in the schedule window.
djm25djm25

Post by djm25djm25 »

After posting I noticed the light was white indicating a wifi problem. Tried a number of times and couldn't get it to connect, so I gave up. However, just went out and checked again and it was solid yellow, so fingers crossed for a successful charge tonight.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

How did the charge go? Good sign that it was yellow (looks more like light green to me!) waiting for the scheduled charge, should have gone proper green when it was charging.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
djm25djm25

Post by djm25djm25 »

Total failure unfortunately. The charge did not happen and the podpoint was back to flashing green again. I've just unplugged it and the light went back to solid white again.

Doing my head in now. Assumed this would be simple!

Podpoint advised me to cycle power via circuit breaker. Tried that yesterday.
Deleted User 192

It should be simple.

My Pod Point is connected to my home wifi, I have my schedule set as below (to match my off-peak tariff), I plug the car in on nights when it needs charging - that's literally it.

IMG_3728.png

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Having reviewed all home charges again given I can proceed at last my preference is the Podpoint Solo.
Question
Does anyone have any experience of connecting to their home wifi via an extender like TP-Link.
Regards
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Idmania3

Post by Idmania3 »

I use a Pod Point Solo with a TP- Link wifi extender without any issues.
It used to drop off the connection without the T P- Link.
VW id3 1st Edition Moonstone Grey
Octopus referral. www.share.octopus.energy/harsh-hippo-272
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Excellent. My wifi isn't strong enough where the charger will be positioned. Thank you.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:33 am It should be simple.

My Pod Point is connected to my home wifi, I have my schedule set as below (to match my off-peak tariff), I plug the car in on nights when it needs charging - that's literally it.
...and yet others are having issues, I doubt they're doing anything that different, I'm not for sure. Don't you ever see the red light/unlocked cable before the schduled charge starts? Does the car just sit there until schedule charge time, does the charge and just sits there again until you unplug/unlock, no red light/unlocked cable?
djm25djm25

Post by djm25djm25 »

So it turns out the scheduled charge did take place but neither the vw or podpoint app showed it in the morning. Only noticed when I went out to do a manual charge that it showed it was sat at 80%. I've deleted both apps and reinstalled. The charger does seem to have an issue with WiFi connection as the light is white a lot of the time. The router is only 6ft away.

Will keep an eye on it. See if it does a scheduled charge next time I need to.
Deleted User 192

djm25djm25 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:20 pm So it turns out the scheduled charge did take place but neither the vw or podpoint app showed it in the morning. Only noticed when I went out to do a manual charge that it showed it was sat at 80%. I've deleted both apps and reinstalled. The charger does seem to have an issue with WiFi connection as the light is white a lot of the time. The router is only 6ft away.

Will keep an eye on it. See if it does a scheduled charge next time I need to.

The VW app won’t show anything, but the Pod Point app should once you’ve unplugged the car.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

To be clear. The We Connect ID app does not see either the charge progress or final charge status on a scheduled charge?
Do the Pod Point and We Connect apps show progress and status when charging on non scheduled charges?
One thing I really like about the We Connect app is monitoring charge progress and rate although dont intend to be awake from midnight till 4am in the morning on a scheduled charge.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

The We Connect ID app does see the charge process, scheduled or not. It tells you the rate (miles per hour, up to 30mph with a 7kwh charger) and the state (percentage charge of the battery). The pod point app tells you when the car was connected for charging and when it was disconnected (rather than when charging actually started and ended if it’s different) after the charge has happened and you disconnected, if you’ve entered your electricity tariff info into the app it will show you how much it cost.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Thanks Leccy.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Daveion wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:26 am To be clear. The We Connect ID app does not see either the charge progress or final charge status on a scheduled charge?

Sorry, I thought you meant a record that a charge took place, rather than live monitoring seeing as you’re doing overnight charging.

You would see the charge taking place in the app, same as if you were sat in the car.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Im still going pod point then 👍
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
LeonV

Post by LeonV »

It looks like PodPoint have an ongoing issue with the ID3. Here's the latest reply I received from them when I reported the scheduled charge was not working.....

"Thanks for keeping in touch, apologies for the delay in response.

The charge scheduling issue with the ID3 is still unresolved as the investigations are still ongoing. Thank you for your patience with this matter.

The light sequence and behaviour you have described regarding the red light and clicking sound is the issue we are currently looking into. We have found that leaving the cable connected to the vehicle regardless of the red light and clicking sounds usually results in a charge at the correct scheduled time.

At the time that the scheduled charge is about to start the red light will change to green and the vehicle locks the cable in place, and the charge runs during the set scheduled hours.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused from this issue, and we hope to resolve this soon."
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Is the clicking constant throughout the waiting to charge period?
If its an electromechanical device that is a concern.
Its design profile is unlikely to support frequent cycling.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22