ID3 when reversing suddenly breaks

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
peterashford

Post by peterashford »

When reversing My ID3 sometimes breaks suddenly and goes into park which makes parking impossible.
The dealer thinks it is because i haven’t got the seatbelt on. In the UK we don’t need seatbelts when reversing so this should not happen.
Does anyone have any comments?
Is there a way to override ?

Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi
Yes it can be a little frustrating at times, the car is detecting a collision risk so breaks.
I try to be as gentle as possible on the accelerator and most of the time it’s ok.
I understand that if you turn off auto hold it will solve your problem but be ready to break
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I think Auto Hold might be a red herring from the post above, as that function should not cause the behaviour described (sudden braking and goes into park).

It does sound like collision detection, in other words the parking sensors. Do you hear the beeps of the parking assist? Does it just happen when you reverse at one location, or randomly at multiple locations?
ChrisCSL

Post by ChrisCSL »

This sudden breaking thing is driving me nuts. Takes a while to parallel park on the street in tight spaces as it keeps stopping.
johnbassett

Post by johnbassett »

I had exactly the same first time and I am certain that it is the auto hold having tested a few times. It happens when you reduce your speed to almost stop the auto hold kicks in. Thought I had an accident the very first time I parked it!
Deleted User 192

Auto Hold depends on you as the driver being heavier on the brake pedal.

There are many times I slow to a stop but if I keep my foot light on the pedal and don't depress it further the Auto Hold won't have kicked in - it needs a fuller press to activate.

You can see on the steering console display if it has activated or not, so you can work out for yourself if you've caused it to kick in, but it will only activate if you've already stopped (in my experience).

If you do want to disable it when performing very low speed manoeuvres, access the shortcut menu by dragging down from the top of the infotainment screen, it's one of the default shortcuts to toggle on/off.

I'm still not sure that's the issue in the original post, based on the description of "sudden" braking.
peterashford

Post by peterashford »

Do we know if VW technical are aware of the problem and are looking to fix the problem?
Deleted User 192

peterashford wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:33 am Do we know if VW technical are aware of the problem and are looking to fix the problem?

Did Auto Hold activate or not? Auto Hold doesn't make your car go into Park mode.
Peter Pan Pan

Post by Peter Pan Pan »

I've had this problem multiple times when reverse parking. I'm sure I saw something buried deep in the settings menu that you can disable brake assist while manoeuvring but I'll be buggered if I can find it now! My solution is to just pull forward. Stop and reverse again slowly. Usually works fine on this second attempt. A real pain though.
2021 ID3 Family Pro | Moonstone Grey | 4 wheels and a steering wheel
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Swipe down from the top and turn off auto-hold.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Haven't had this issue, but this morning when maneuvering forward into a parking spot I got too close to the curb and the brake was so aggressive that I thought I had actually crashed into it. Not complaining, since I expected to have to replace the bumper, and instead it was all dandy.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Peter Pan Pan

Post by Peter Pan Pan »

Think I've found a solution. As per my post above, I knew I'd seen it somewhere!

So, when you're reversing and the camera display comes up on the main console, you also get a little setting icon (cog wheel) come up. I don't think this is ever accessible from anywhere else - no wonder it's hard to find. Anyway, if you go in to the setting menu from there, there's an option to disable braking when manoeuvring. I'm pretty sure this will solve the issue but have yet to properly test it. Would be interesting to hear other drivers' experiences with this setting.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Peter Pan Pan wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:19 pm Think I've found a solution. As per my post above, I knew I'd seen it somewhere!

So, when you're reversing and the camera display comes up on the main console, you also get a little setting icon (cog wheel) come up. I don't think this is ever accessible from anywhere else - no wonder it's hard to find. Anyway, if you go in to the setting menu from there, there's an option to disable braking when manoeuvring. I'm pretty sure this will solve the issue but have yet to properly test it. Would be interesting to hear other drivers' experiences with this setting.
This is a standard feature in modern VW ICE vehicles. My 3 year old has it and it is accessed through the infotainment system to turn on or off. I tried it out one day with a carboard box. And it braked or not braked depended on how it was set up in the system.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
Peter Pan Pan

Post by Peter Pan Pan »

Newfie wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:31 pm
Peter Pan Pan wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:19 pm Think I've found a solution. As per my post above, I knew I'd seen it somewhere!

This is a standard feature in modern VW ICE vehicles. My 3 year old has it and it is accessed through the infotainment system to turn on or off. I tried it out one day with a carboard box. And it braked or not braked depended on how it was set up in the system.
I'm new to VW, so this was a bit of a find for me. I'd love to know where the setting is in the infotainment system though. As as said, I've only found it when the the reverse camera is activated.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

I've still got a little while to go to take delivery of my ID.3 so my info is from my Tiguan with an MIB2 infotainement system and the new MIB3 works in the same way but I don't think the menu functionality is the same as on the ID.3
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
Deleted User 192

Irrespective of whether Auto Hold is enabled or not...?
Peter Pan Pan

Post by Peter Pan Pan »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:23 pm

Irrespective of whether Auto Hold is enabled or not...?
Don't know about that. It would make sense if this was independent of autohold but given the sometimes bizarre logic I'm coming across in the ID3, don't bet on it!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

So, when you're reversing and the camera display comes up on the main console, you also get a little setting icon (cog wheel) come up. I don't think this is ever accessible from anywhere else - no wonder it's hard to find. Anyway, if you go in to the setting menu from there, there's an option to disable braking when manoeuvring. I'm pretty sure this will solve the issue but have yet to properly test it. Would be interesting to hear other drivers' experiences with this setting.I
I have this problem and tried the setting you mentioned. Didn’t work for me. My issue is getting in our garage. With stuff at the back of the garage, the ID3 just about fits lengthwise. Reversing with my previous ICE car and just slipping the clutch, worked fine. Now we have this automatic, it’s far too intelligent for itself. I end up jerking backwards until I get to the right point. PITA!
steve

Post by steve »

Mine wouldn't let me reverse past a long dandelion growing in the drive. I think it was trying to shame me into some weeding
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

I have experienced this. First time, the abrupt stop meant that I thought I had hit something, although I was several feet away from anything else. My own view of these assistance systems (at their present level of flakeiness) is that they add an additional burden to the driver. I am sure that will change, but right now that's my view. I am sure I am also going to be told, that even the current systems are safer than human driver, that insurance companies love them, yada yada yada ;)
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.