Both infotainment screen and driver info screen are blank - any ideas?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
bgtnw3

Post by bgtnw3 »

Hi all -

I'm new here. This is my first post and my first issue with my ID3. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

This afternoon I got into the car to run some errands. The infotainment screen says Welcome to Volkswagen and then goes blank. The driver's info screen walks through all the disabled features and then also goes blank. I can drive but don't have any details when I do - no speed, nothing - so I didn't go anywhere. We wondered whether this was due to an update running but don't have any clues as to why this has happened.

I'd been charging the car at home prior to this happening which we've done many times, so no idea how this happened.

Any ideas for why or what to try much appreciated!

ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Yikes! Not a great encouragement for someone thinking of buying an ID.3. Hope you get it sorted. I assume you can call VW Roadside Assistance if there is such a thing?
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

Something similar discussed previously, which seemingly goes away on its own, perhaps due to a software glitch. I recall previous instances have been just after a small update. You can try resetting the infotainment i.e press and hold the power button.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
steve

Post by steve »

I would try turning it off and on again: get out, lock the doors, wait 5 minutes or so, and then try again.

If that still doesn't work, call VW roadside assistance.

A few months back, while still v2.0, twice had the car come on but tell me all the assistance stuff was unavailable. Turning it off and on again worked both times. Hasn't happened since the upgrade v2.1.

Steve
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Something a bit like this happened to me. Turn off. Lock and walk away a distance (so key can’t be detected). I had a cuppa - came back and it was as if nothing had happened!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Had some icons blanked out yesterday morning when I got into the car. Vociferously swore at it, turned it on and off, and the issue disappeared.

One of the two solutions helped.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
bgtnw3

Post by bgtnw3 »

Thanks all for your advice! We tried all of the above off and on for a few hours and then ended up calling VW roadside assistance. As it wasn't urgent we're expecting them this morning. Glad it happened at home! Will pop back and report what was wrong. Cheers!
Jonty0560

Post by Jonty0560 »

I had a similar issue. 3 weeks after delivery and perhaps a week of not charging the battery * drove down the road and everything went haywire. Car still running but speedo not giving creditable readings, infotainment system blank, followed by speedo console. Dealer says ring roadside assistance so I did, and they say take it to the dealer. Dealer won’t collect - poor customer service. Now I want my Volvo back. Took it to the dealer who won’t give me a courtesy car, but will get me me one from a hire company. Told that the infotainment system controller had failed and would take 2 weeks to replace. Thankfully they were wrong and it was 5 days. All OK now, but not something you expect from a 3 week after delivery vehicle.
* I suspected that the failure was connected with issues with the 12v battery discharging. I have read of issues with the 12v battery as this is charged when the main battery is charged.. if the car isn’t charged for a week or so, the 12v battery becomes discharged. Any body else had this issue?
Id3 Max, stonewash blue, purchased June 21
craig

Post by craig »

the same thing happened to the courtesy id3 I'm driving just locked car next day all fine had no problems since
VW ID3 Max Pro Performance Glacier White Metallic