Is it possible to have a Reversing Camera fitted post delivery ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Vic Thompson

Post by Vic Thompson »

I've never driven a car which has a Reversing Camera fitted, but it seems a useful aid for someone like me who has limited neck movement due to spinal problems.

The reversing display fitted as standard allows me to get off my drive ok without flattening the front hedge but would the Camera facility be useful to me in most peoples opinion and if so, Is it possible to have one fitted post delivery ?

Thanks, Vic Thompson.

Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Yes. I read another thread about it can’t recall where.

From memory costs fromVW about £900 but you can get aftermarket ones that need some coding I think

Mine has one, first time I have had a car with one and 3 weeks in I hardly ever look at it. Maybe used to only having the mirrors and sensors. The car has great visibility anyway. That’s just me, and it might change over time as I get used to having it

It’s helpful when I have to back right up to the garage for the charger lead to fit the car.

I also love how it pops out the VW badge 🤪
First edition

Share £100 with me when you sign up
share.octopus.energy/dense-crab-700
ENEMUK

Post by ENEMUK »

Yes. I have had a dealer fitted reversing camera, installed before the car was delivered. This is (said to be) identical to the factory fitted camera. Cost in my case was £835.
ID.3 Life Pro 145ps, 58kw, metallic paint and alloy wheels.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

We've got a Life that doesn't have it and a Family that does. Don't miss it on the Life. Sounds and visual bars are every bit as good at interpreting distance to obstacles and have a much wider field of view than the fish eye view of the camera.

I've had 2 other VAGs that had the camera and the sensors - it all seems a bit gimmicky to me.

The best part of £900 seems a lot. Previously on the MK7 Golf, this was a £450 retrofit by the dealership. Literally a £300 kit and a bit of coding. Looks to be the same badge pop camera.

If you're thinking of getting it retrofitted, I'd hang on a week or 2 and see how you like the standard set up.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
CoalPorter

Post by CoalPorter »

Interesting… my dealer told me it’s not possible to retrofit! Agree with monkeyhanger though, £835 is more than I would have felt it was worth to me (might have sprung for half that).
Noel

Post by Noel »

I think the reversing camera, on any car, is an excellent and in my wife’s case, a necessary and important thing to have. She was always uncomfortable when performing reversing manoeuvres and a reversing camera makes it a breeze, even for her. I think they are a fantastic feature and I specify them in any car I buy now. When I walked into the VW dealership it was one of the first things I specified and after a test drive of one with the head up display, I insisted on that too 😀
sven akermark

Post by sven akermark »

Obviously VW have blocked the posibility to mount any equipment after delivery. I excluded back camera when I ordered my ID3. Big misstake ! The sight backwards is lousy. Many small workchops in eu are advertising installation of a "original VW camera " not telling you that once you have done it your car is blocked from any futher program update !! That is what happend to me . I wounder why VW is selling the camera without that information ? Or maybe they did not anticipate that either?
JohnEG

Post by JohnEG »

I had a reversing camera retrofitted by the dealer (Martins in Basingstoke) to my T-ROC a few years ago for £450.
In November this year I had one retrofitted to my new iD3 for the same price (negotiated as part of the deal). It comes with a dongle that can be plugged in if any re-coding is required in the future.
To my mind it is a good investment as the sensors don't always detect small obstructions.
Life Pro Performance, White/Black, East Derry Alloys.
Order No: 31558xxx 18/11/21
Delivered 14 November 22
Zappi Charger
Software 3.2.0
sven akermark

Post by sven akermark »

The crucial question is wether you have been able to update your software to level 3 after the camera installation!!!
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I have seen a couple of people on the Facebook group reporting they had major problems with 2.4 due to aftermarket reverse cameras but that they have had no issues with 3.0 installation.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.