ID3 folding door mirrors , scratch marks on swivel joint.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Twocats

Post by Twocats »

Has anybody else got scratching on the surface of the door mirror swivel joint?.
. I have only had my car a week, and the marks are clearly visible when they are in the folded position.

453FB144-7185-4BE8-9CF7-33383DBECA17.png

Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Mine are similar; but I don't think they are scratch marks. Think about it; if they were scratches they would form an arc, prescribed by the rotational movement of the mirror units. I think they're part of the manufacturing process.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Reject the car. If there are any cosmetic rust marks on the unseen door stays too then definitely reject the car. :lol:

Slightly rough machining marks for the (relatively).smooth surface. These alloy inserts are better than the alternative - plastic on plastic pivoting with horrendous creaking and cracking as they rub over each other when folding or unfolding - my Polo and Golf had that

As Raxocorico says, directionality not as per pivoting action of the mirror mechanism.

I have 2 ID3s, 1 has almost mirror like alloy inserts, the other have machine marks like yours. Both feel smooth.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

The swivel joint pads on my new Family Pro Perf are almost identical.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

If that is how they are meant to look, then they have a problem with the design or something in the production process. Ours look just the same. I wonder if it's just Life models with these "downmarket mirrors", or do the more expensive models have the same issue? Not a good look on a £30K car (steel wheels anyone?) but pay £40K and it sucks.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:03 am If that is how they are meant to look, then they have a problem with the design or something in the production process. Ours look just the same. I wonder if it's just Life models with these "downmarket mirrors", or do the more expensive models have the same issue? Not a good look on a £30K car (steel wheels anyone?) but pay £40K and it sucks.
The alloy pads on our Life look tidier than the ones on our Family, so I don't think its a case of the Life getting inferior versions of the same part. I don't believe that the Life has different wing mirrors to most of the other trims, certainly not the Family - both pivot, have heating, mirror tilt, puddle lights etc.

It just seems to be batch variation and tooling marks on the finished article.

Someone was so worried about cosmetic rust dots (and they were literally pin head sized dots) on the door stays that you can only see if you get on your knees with the doors open, they had them replaced. presumably they're the same again. I really don't think its an issue.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:58 am
Scratch wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:03 am If that is how they are meant to look, then they have a problem with the design or something in the production process. Ours look just the same. I wonder if it's just Life models with these "downmarket mirrors", or do the more expensive models have the same issue? Not a good look on a £30K car (steel wheels anyone?) but pay £40K and it sucks.
The alloy pads on our Life look tidier than the ones on our Family, so I don't think its a case of the Life getting inferior versions of the same part. I don't believe that the Life has different wing mirrors to most of the other trims, certainly not the Family - both pivot, have heating, mirror tilt, puddle lights etc.

It just seems to be batch variation and tooling marks on the finished article.

Someone was so worried about cosmetic rust dots (and they were literally pin head sized dots) on the door stays that you can only see if you get on your knees with the doors open, they had them replaced. presumably they're the same again. I really don't think its an issue.
No it's not an issue and I won't be running to the dealer to complain. But it isn't good!