Red charging light……..

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Showing on car at the charge flap. This happens after the pulsing white light. No timer settings set on car or Zappi charger. Happened 3 times in a row. The fourth attempt seemed to be ok and the car started to charge.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Mine has done that just once when I plugged in but left power turned off. I was manually switching charging times. There is some history in the threads and others have had the same experience. Mine now just shows white and then goes off after a short time. The RED bothered me so I disconnected quickly.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Daveion wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:29 pm Mine has done that just once when I plugged in but left power turned off. I was manually switching charging times. There is some history in the threads and others have had the same experience. Mine now just shows white and then goes off after a short time. The RED bothered me so I disconnected quickly.
The others here who have had similar problems, seem to have a Pod Point charger and I think Pod Point have sort of acknowledged the problem. Our charger is a Zappi. So maybe it’s the car at fault?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I only have a granny for home charging and thats when the ge port was red.
I did get a red light once at a 50kw podpoint but there was a fault on the charging unit.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

It seems a little flaky, as mentioned above it happens with pod point solo home chargers when using scheduled charge sessions (non-scheduled no problems), but I also had it when away at the weekend using the granny charger, once out of the two times I used it. Disconnected and reconnected and it was fine. Is it sensitive to the order you do things? I thought I did things the same both times, but maybe I didn’t.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

The same self doubt went through my mind.
With the granny I plug into the source, switch on, wait for the granny self check to complete ( a few seconds) and plug into the car and it clicks and away it goes. A few days back for some reason I had a solid green light no charge. Following day I deleted Home Location as I thought it might be holding a charge off and its been fine again.
It would be nice to know what the colours/port light actualy represent physically.
By observation.
White, plugged in and detected by car but no voltage.
Solid Green, plugged in detected by car but no current flowing, voltage only and charge relay not energised.
Green pulsing, car charging.
Red,? Maybe residual voltage below a threshold.
Unstable supply?
If it happens on scheduled charge you should from logic above have white, then nothing and then pulsing green at start time.
Do you disconnect when you see red or just leave it and if so does it charge?
Scott asked me that question at the time on the forum but I thought red must be a warning so pulled the plug immediately.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Daveion wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:26 pm It would be nice to know what the colours/port light actualy represent physically.
By observation.
White, plugged in and detected by car but no voltage.
Solid Green, plugged in detected by car but no current flowing, voltage only and charge relay not energised.
Green pulsing, car charging.
Red,? Maybe residual voltage below a threshold.
Unstable supply?

Copied some of the online manual below, in case it helps :
Displays for charging process

LED light unit flashes:
- The charging connector was recognised by the vehicle.

White LED light unit:
- Blinks: vehicle communication setup with the charging infrastructure. Charging process is being prepared.
- Lights up continuously: no charging function is active.

Green LED light unit:
- Pulsates: the high-voltage battery is being charged.
- Lights up continuously: charging has been completed successfully.
- Flashes: timer-controlled charging is activated. Charging has not yet started.
- Lights up alternately with the red display: charging is taking place with a reduced charging current to prevent the vehicle from breaking down. A fault is present, e.g. charging connector not fully locked.

Red LED light unit:
- Lights up continuously: fault in the charging system. The charging process cannot not be started or has been cancelled.
If the charging process display is continuously indicating a problem, seek expert assistance.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Thanks
It certainly covers more than I have observed but still leaves me wondering physically what is happening at the port and communications with the car. Defining a fault and knowing a charge is cancelled? If I turn my charger off at the isolator the port goes white not red. That's a cancelled charge? Does the charger communicate with the car by multiplexing through the cable conductors?
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Daveion wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:18 pm Thanks
It certainly covers more than I have observed but still leaves me wondering physically what is happening at the port and communications with the car. Defining a fault and knowing a charge is cancelled? If I turn my charger off at the isolator the port goes white not red. That's a cancelled charge? Does the charger communicate with the car by multiplexing through the cable conductors?
Exactly. What does a cancelled charge mean? If, for instance you create a charge time for say, Monday, and it charges OK. If you then untick that charge event, but leave the setting, as you might use it on some other Monday, is that a cancelled charge? Or, is a cancelled charge where the charge starts but you manually stop it?
I, personally, think someone at VW should be answering these questions, but as I said in another post, customer support are a waste of space.
Where do you go for help now? £70 a pop for the dealer to check it out? And do they actually know anything?
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

It would be useful to know if it's the car or the charger causing the issue. Have you tried it on another charger, e.g Tesco pod point? Similar with the cable if your home charger is untethered.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

robgarth wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:58 pm It would be useful to know if it's the car or the charger causing the issue. Have you tried it on another charger, e.g Tesco pod point? Similar with the cable if your home charger is untethered.
Not had a chance, yet. I know I shouldn’t judge but I suspect it’s the car. Another software glitch?