Sunroof laminate issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Deleted User 1426

Post by Deleted User 1426 »

I can't find anyone else who has this issue on an ID3 or any other car with a panoramic sunroof.

I picked my used Family pro performance up on Monday this week, 12 miles on the clock. It has been in the dealers since Dec last year. I had to wait for 2 weeks while they did the 2.1 update.

Anyway, when I collected the car I briefly looked out of the sunroof and saw a what looked like a number of water spots and some soapy ones (it had just been cleaned ready for collection).

The on Wednesday I had my first chance to clean and polish the car (having declined the GARDX con). While I was cleaning the roof, I noticed the spots wouldn't wipe off, moreover they are between the inner and outer layers of glass. There are no dents,chips or cracks in either the outer layer or the glass inside the car. The spots are in the laminate that is between the outside layer and inside layer of glass. Clearly it's a manufacturing fault by the glass supplier.

Visiting the dealer monday to see what the solution is, hopefully they will agree it is a warranty issue and get VW to deal with it (they are a VW main dealer).

Anyone else seen anything like this? Very difficult photograph as it is glass, but the photo from the outside (where you can see my phone) shows the issue the best.

20210929_113407 (1).jpeg

20210929_114041 (1).jpeg

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Certainly looks like faulty glass if the marks are "within" the laminate as you say. I'd insist on the roof's replacement, and if the replacement is likely to take longer than a replacement car, I would reject the car and insist on driving it until the replacement arrives.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

With some of the marks being in straight row and a number of them having a straight edge suggests something had been laid before the contaminant had marked the laminate. Seems a strong case for manufacturing error if it's in the laminate. If on the glass surface it might indicate contamination while protective films are in place. Agree, get it replaced.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

i just had my windscreen replaced, was chatting to installer about id3 and he mentioned he just replaced an id3 sunroof, apparently they cost thousands.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

This is quite an old thread - it would be nice if the OP gave us an update, please. Oh they have left the forum.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max