Tyre inflating via 12v socket

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

DSB18 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:36 am Plug seat belt in, keys on seat and press the start button, I know I have had 3 new tyres in 5000 miles, also the pump will reach the front tyres if you go through the inside of the car.
I can second everything said here. Bit of a change from any other cars we have had and with wife's recent slow puncture I have got very good at snaking the power cable through the car to the front tyres. Sometimes I got fed up and just parked next to my car and powered it from that. I have to say that not being able to run the accessories without first getting into the car and then having to ensure seat belt is fastened seems aver German way of doing things compared to every other car on the market!
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

hungerdunger wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:56 pm Yes, you are missing something. You need to turn the ignition on and leave the keys in the car. You can then carry on with pumping up the tyres.
I know I should check but does the included inflator reach the front wheels from the 12V socket in the boot?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Scratch wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:17 am
hungerdunger wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:56 pm Yes, you are missing something. You need to turn the ignition on and leave the keys in the car. You can then carry on with pumping up the tyres.
I know I should check but does the included inflator reach the front wheels from the 12V socket in the boot?
So, I can't strictly answer this question because I used a separate tyre inflator that came with my wife's old car rather than using the one provided with the ID.3 (as I thought I may as well leave it unused until I didn't have another). However, with that one, it reached the front tyres ok, but only by putting down the back seats and passing the wire through there from the boot, then through the front door on the correct side. I'd be surprised if the ID.3 one was shorter.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Jim24

Post by Jim24 »

Many thanks will try it.
JoanneMak

Post by JoanneMak »

Hi, I've just joined the forum for this exact issue!

I had a puncture and needed a rescue service as when I sat in the car (with the wire running out the passanger window) the compressor worked - but as soon as I goto out of the driver seat it stopped! So the answer is plug in the seatbelt is that right?

As with every other issue I've had with my ID3 (I've had many) my local VW garage has not been able to help. I feel like the car is an experiment on wheels that they just weren't prepared for.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

JoanneMak wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:48 pm Hi, I've just joined the forum for this exact issue!

I had a puncture and needed a rescue service as when I sat in the car (with the wire running out the passanger window) the compressor worked - but as soon as I goto out of the driver seat it stopped! So the answer is plug in the seatbelt is that right?

As with every other issue I've had with my ID3 (I've had many) my local VW garage has not been able to help. I feel like the car is an experiment on wheels that they just weren't prepared for.
It's nothing to do with the seat belt. You just need to turn the car back on using the button on the side of the steering wheel column. That button's main point is that it allows you to turn the car on without being in driver's seat. It's in the same place as the ignition usually is on ICE cars.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
JoanneMak

Post by JoanneMak »

Sidehass - thanks a million. I'll try that out this morning!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:17 am
Yes it does. It'll reach every tyre from there without snaking through the interior. Your biggest challenge will be getting all the power cabling back in the tiny recess on the back of the pump.

My wife's Family has a very slow puncture on the rear drivers side tyre, it's been there about 6 months, dropping from 2.6 bar to 2.0 bar and triggering the low pressure monitoring over the course of a fortnight, so I pump it up often.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Busman

Post by Busman »

If you have a slow puncture for such a long time.Do you not think you should pay the tyre repair garage a visit.Another tip for all owners new to tyre monitoring,the battery that powers this feature does need to be replaced and when coming to the end of its life , you will tend to get the tyre warning light coming on.Check your tyres if there is no apparent air loss ,replace the little battery that powers the tyre monitor at your next servicc.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Busman wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:29 am If you have a slow puncture for such a long time.Do you not think you should pay the tyre repair garage a visit.Another tip for all owners new to tyre monitoring,the battery that powers this feature does need to be replaced and when coming to the end of its life , you will tend to get the tyre warning light coming on.Check your tyres if there is no apparent air loss ,replace the little battery that powers the tyre monitor at your next servicc.
I just had a quick look at the VW online manual and couldn't find any reference to the tyre monitoring battery. Any idea where it is?
Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

Scratch wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:46 am
Busman wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:29 am If you have a slow puncture for such a long time.Do you not think you should pay the tyre repair garage a visit.Another tip for all owners new to tyre monitoring,the battery that powers this feature does need to be replaced and when coming to the end of its life , you will tend to get the tyre warning light coming on.Check your tyres if there is no apparent air loss ,replace the little battery that powers the tyre monitor at your next servicc.
I just had a quick look at the VW online manual and couldn't find any reference to the tyre monitoring battery. Any idea where it is?
There isn't a battery, the ID.3 system works via the ABS, if a tyre a flat the wheel rotates faster. It's not like other systems that display actual tyre pressures etc.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

As it's so slow, hasn't got any worse, and there are no visible signs of damage to the tyre, I haven't felt the inclination, no. The Bridgestones will all be getting replaced in the not too distant future with (almost certainly) Michelin e-Primacy, or Primacy 4.

Big GT is correct in the tyre monitoring system's operation.- no modules inside the wheels, no batteries. Just the ABS/XDS systems monitoring individual wheel rotational speeds as a result of effective rolling radius changes from stored values, hence why the tyre pressure reduction isn't picked up from 2.6 to 2.1/2.0 bar - the rolling radius hasn't changed significantly between those inflation values to be picked up by the system.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Busman

Post by Busman »

Mandarinfish wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:41 pm Apologies if this subject has been raised before but..,
I’ve just discovered my tyre inflator that plugs into a 12v socket ( ie the one in the boot) has a cable length that won’t reach the front tyres.
This is irritating as all my other vehicles have had 12v sockets in/near the centre console which has enabled me to reach all 4 tyres.
Small issue I know, but has anybody else had this problem, and how did they solve it (an extension lead perhaps)?.
Hi there,
You can buy a12V extension cable in Halfords for about £13.Plug it into the 12V socket in the boot and leave your car fob on the driver's seat.Attach your tyre inflator to same and away you go.