another electric drive problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Lester

Post by Lester »

Hi all

Yesterday my ID.3 suddenly displayed 'electric drive not working correctly. Please visit workshop'. with all icons red.

I did just that and it appears to be a fault with the HT battery. (That's as much of the technicalities that I understood). I was advised to drive home carefully and call VW assist. That way I would be sure of getting a courtesy car.

A couple of hours later the car was loaded onto the back of an AA breakdown truck and now - after 6 months - have to re-learn how to drive a manual gearbox and fill up with petrol. Oh the shame.

It's 6 months old and has done just over 3000 miles. This is the first problem of any sort that I've encountered. Will keep you posted.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

From other posts that fault is quite often the battery coolant pump failing… fairly fast turn around on the fix (a week for some people) fingers crossed
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Lester wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:48 pm
Yesterday my ID.3 suddenly displayed 'electric drive not working correctly. Please visit workshop'. with all icons red.

I did just that and it appears to be a fault with the HT battery. (That's as much of the technicalities that I understood). I was advised to drive home carefully and call VW assist. That way I would be sure of getting a courtesy car.
Are these ID.3 cars unreliable?
German engineering is not what is is claimed to be.
May be should have gone for a Japanese or Korean car!
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I recon so. Must be rubbish. Buy something different. 😂
Lester

Post by Lester »

I'm happy that they arranged collection and a replacement vehicle quickly enough.

I called VW Assist and an AA van turned up 2 hours later. Not a problem as I was at home all day anyway. He scratched his head, said 'no idea' and called for a recovery truck. I asked about a replacement car, he made another phone call and half-an-hour later I got a call from a car hire company in the town. It's on an automatic renewal, depending on how long it's in the workshop. All I now have to do is drive it and put petrol in it. Neither of which are preferable to the ID.3.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Surely they should provide an automatic, even though it may cost more. I have not driven a manual since my test. I found it a backward concept. I doubt I could drive one now!
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
Lester

Post by Lester »

Update; confirmed as battery coolant pump failure. No spares in the UK so have to wait for one from Germany.

I notice that this issue comes up on other forums - particularly in respect of the ID.4.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Glad the diagnosis was quick - although disappointing. At least it’s a regular fix?
Lester

Post by Lester »

Thanks. Yes - disappointing, but not the end of the world. And if it is just the pump, then it should be a simple swap?

The real downside, apart from having to buy petrol again, is the smug, knowing, 'I told you so', looks from my neighbours. Ours is the only ev in the road.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

I fully expect our neighbours to be looking down their noses at our EV whenever it arrives. It’s e-Tron, Model X and Taycan country round here so our “poverty” VW will probably be viewed as lowering the tone!

Sod the lot of ‘em 😂
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Lester

Post by Lester »

:))
kwalmsleyy

Post by kwalmsleyy »

Hi all, same issue for me last Wednesday on way home from work.

Called my local VW and booked in to take the car in on Friday (as I was WFH) but was advised there was no courtesy car available until the start of December?!

Either way, was advised it would be a quick fix and to drop it off.

Upon arriving Friday morning, I was greeted with a service advisor who stated they couldn’t actually work on my car as they aren’t EV trained… (not sure why this wasn’t mentioned on the phone when booking in) however they would look at the car and call me to discuss next actions.

Called up later in the afternoon to advise it was a broken water pump and they will fix it under warranty. However, the part is on “back order” with no ETA of replacement component.

Thankfully an ID3 was available for me to take, so currently rolling around in their courtesy car.

However, mine is less than 8 weeks old and less than 1500 miles! Thank god for warranty!
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

kwalmsleyy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:10 pm Hi all, same issue for me last Wednesday on way home from work.

Called my local VW and booked in to take the car in on Friday (as I was WFH) but was advised there was no courtesy car available until the start of December?!

Either way, was advised it would be a quick fix and to drop it off.

Upon arriving Friday morning, I was greeted with a service advisor who stated they couldn’t actually work on my car as they aren’t EV trained… (not sure why this wasn’t mentioned on the phone when booking in) however they would look at the car and call me to discuss next actions.

Called up later in the afternoon to advise it was a broken water pump and they will fix it under warranty. However, the part is on “back order” with no ETA of replacement component.

Thankfully an ID3 was available for me to take, so currently rolling around in their courtesy car.

However, mine is less than 8 weeks old and less than 1500 miles! Thank god for warranty!

Not great on an 8 week old car, but at least you got a like for like courtesy car and I suppose the bright side is it's keeping the mileage down on yours..
kwalmsleyy

Post by kwalmsleyy »

Agreed, especially when I am on a limited mileage lease!

I think the shocking part was they booked me in somewhere with an "Electric Drive Fault" where they potentially couldn't have fixed it!

As it is not related to the HV system they can fix it at my local dealership, but I don't fancy the 30 mile trip each way if my car is potentially showing a fault in the future!
Jonr37

Post by Jonr37 »

I had similar today - car is 1 week and 300 miles old. charged it up at a BP Pulse 50kw fast charger. finished charging, unhooked everything, then got the "Electric Drive Fault" and a yellow warning light.

drove home (2 miles) left the car alone, locked for a bit, went back to it later and the error message has gone

so not really sure what to make of that really. Software bug that's now cleared, or error message and fault thats going to come around again in the coming days/weeks
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

I got the "Electric drive not working, visit workshop" warning this evening, I left the car on the drive and took the other car. On my return I tried again sure that the glitch would clear as I'd taken the key with me, it didn't, the warning remained. I popped in the house to check the forum for advice where I read it was worth resetting infotainment, I wasn't convinced but with nothing to loose I returned to the car 5min after locking it up. This time all was well, I touched nothing, reset nothing. Baffled!!
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
kwalmsleyy

Post by kwalmsleyy »

Got mine back today.
Lester

Post by Lester »

kwalmsleyy wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:56 pm Got mine back today.
That's good to know. I'm still waiting.
Lester

Post by Lester »

Finally got the car back today. They also sorted out a problem we had with the aircon - which may have been related to the pump failure. In the grand scheme of things it's been a relatively minor inconvenience - they had a hire care ready for us soon as ours was on the breakdown truck, so we've not been without a car.

The biggest problem came when I picked ours up this morning - after 3 weeks I'd forgotten how to start the thing. I just sat in the car staring at the dash and thinking what do I do now?

It's good to have it back though.
Chimaera500

Post by Chimaera500 »

Has anyone who was given a non-EV courtesy car had any joy with claiming an amount for the additional fuel costs incurred with being forced to drive a petrol vehicle whilst their EV is off the road through no fault of their own?

VW make a big enough point of the running cost savings when marketing EVs that it seems wrong to supply a courtesy car that is non EV and expect you to be out of pocket in addition to the general inconvenience of the vehicle you purchased in good faith not working.

My wife’s e-Golf has been off the road for 3 weeks now undergoing a seemingly endless stream of tests to diagnose a non-charging fault and in the mentime she’s racking up fuel bills like there is no tomorrow in the courtesy petrol Astra provided. Circa £200 per month additional running costs, so really doesn’t feel right.

Both VW customer services and the dealer working on it have yet to respond on this point of compensation for incurred additional costs, so I wondered if anyone else had been successful.