another electric drive problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Lester

Post by Lester »

:))

kwalmsleyy

Post by kwalmsleyy »

Hi all, same issue for me last Wednesday on way home from work.

Called my local VW and booked in to take the car in on Friday (as I was WFH) but was advised there was no courtesy car available until the start of December?!

Either way, was advised it would be a quick fix and to drop it off.

Upon arriving Friday morning, I was greeted with a service advisor who stated they couldn’t actually work on my car as they aren’t EV trained… (not sure why this wasn’t mentioned on the phone when booking in) however they would look at the car and call me to discuss next actions.

Called up later in the afternoon to advise it was a broken water pump and they will fix it under warranty. However, the part is on “back order” with no ETA of replacement component.

Thankfully an ID3 was available for me to take, so currently rolling around in their courtesy car.

However, mine is less than 8 weeks old and less than 1500 miles! Thank god for warranty!
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

kwalmsleyy wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:10 pm Hi all, same issue for me last Wednesday on way home from work.

Called my local VW and booked in to take the car in on Friday (as I was WFH) but was advised there was no courtesy car available until the start of December?!

Either way, was advised it would be a quick fix and to drop it off.

Upon arriving Friday morning, I was greeted with a service advisor who stated they couldn’t actually work on my car as they aren’t EV trained… (not sure why this wasn’t mentioned on the phone when booking in) however they would look at the car and call me to discuss next actions.

Called up later in the afternoon to advise it was a broken water pump and they will fix it under warranty. However, the part is on “back order” with no ETA of replacement component.

Thankfully an ID3 was available for me to take, so currently rolling around in their courtesy car.

However, mine is less than 8 weeks old and less than 1500 miles! Thank god for warranty!

Not great on an 8 week old car, but at least you got a like for like courtesy car and I suppose the bright side is it's keeping the mileage down on yours..
kwalmsleyy

Post by kwalmsleyy »

Agreed, especially when I am on a limited mileage lease!

I think the shocking part was they booked me in somewhere with an "Electric Drive Fault" where they potentially couldn't have fixed it!

As it is not related to the HV system they can fix it at my local dealership, but I don't fancy the 30 mile trip each way if my car is potentially showing a fault in the future!
Jonr37

Post by Jonr37 »

I had similar today - car is 1 week and 300 miles old. charged it up at a BP Pulse 50kw fast charger. finished charging, unhooked everything, then got the "Electric Drive Fault" and a yellow warning light.

drove home (2 miles) left the car alone, locked for a bit, went back to it later and the error message has gone

so not really sure what to make of that really. Software bug that's now cleared, or error message and fault thats going to come around again in the coming days/weeks
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

I got the "Electric drive not working, visit workshop" warning this evening, I left the car on the drive and took the other car. On my return I tried again sure that the glitch would clear as I'd taken the key with me, it didn't, the warning remained. I popped in the house to check the forum for advice where I read it was worth resetting infotainment, I wasn't convinced but with nothing to loose I returned to the car 5min after locking it up. This time all was well, I touched nothing, reset nothing. Baffled!!
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
kwalmsleyy

Post by kwalmsleyy »

Got mine back today.
Lester

Post by Lester »

kwalmsleyy wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:56 pm Got mine back today.
That's good to know. I'm still waiting.
Lester

Post by Lester »

Finally got the car back today. They also sorted out a problem we had with the aircon - which may have been related to the pump failure. In the grand scheme of things it's been a relatively minor inconvenience - they had a hire care ready for us soon as ours was on the breakdown truck, so we've not been without a car.

The biggest problem came when I picked ours up this morning - after 3 weeks I'd forgotten how to start the thing. I just sat in the car staring at the dash and thinking what do I do now?

It's good to have it back though.
Chimaera500

Post by Chimaera500 »

Has anyone who was given a non-EV courtesy car had any joy with claiming an amount for the additional fuel costs incurred with being forced to drive a petrol vehicle whilst their EV is off the road through no fault of their own?

VW make a big enough point of the running cost savings when marketing EVs that it seems wrong to supply a courtesy car that is non EV and expect you to be out of pocket in addition to the general inconvenience of the vehicle you purchased in good faith not working.

My wife’s e-Golf has been off the road for 3 weeks now undergoing a seemingly endless stream of tests to diagnose a non-charging fault and in the mentime she’s racking up fuel bills like there is no tomorrow in the courtesy petrol Astra provided. Circa £200 per month additional running costs, so really doesn’t feel right.

Both VW customer services and the dealer working on it have yet to respond on this point of compensation for incurred additional costs, so I wondered if anyone else had been successful.
EVOWNER101

Post by EVOWNER101 »

My EGolf spent a month being “fixed” and although they paid for a nice non EV Audi hire car they did not pay for any fuel.

If the “losses” you are incurring are such that you feel it is worth pursuing because you have had zero response from the dealership or a flat out refusal to cover those losses, you could investigate making a claim through the small claims court. Don’t even need to involve a solicitor but a max value applies. The process to follow is well laid out and reasonably self explanatory. You would need to serve reasonable notice of intention to go down that route.

However, if the dealership is the only one around for the vehicle owned you may need to think hard before committing to such an action. Small victory and all that.

As for VW, other than from a reputation damage perspective they possibly do not think of compensating UK customers as they do for other customers in other territories simply because historically the UK is not known for its litigation prowess. Even the compensation claims over the diesel scandal did not start as a result of anything UK related relevant to legal procedures started by individuals.
Current EV: ID.3 Tour Pro S :D
Previous EV: VW EGolf (Sep2019)
Date Ordered: 01/11/2021 :(
Date Finally Delivered: 15/03/2023 :shock:
Deal Honoured: :!: :?: :|
Dealership: Herritage Gl :? :roll: but love the individual people.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Chimaera500 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:19 am Has anyone who was given a non-EV courtesy car had any joy with claiming an amount for the additional fuel costs incurred with being forced to drive a petrol vehicle whilst their EV is off the road through no fault of their own?

I’ve never thought for a second that I should claim, so long as I can’t get about and don’t have to arrange lifts, taxis, or other alternative transport I couldn’t care less - I don’t expect a courtesy car to be like for like.
Chimaera500

Post by Chimaera500 »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:08 am
Chimaera500 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:19 am Has anyone who was given a non-EV courtesy car had any joy with claiming an amount for the additional fuel costs incurred with being forced to drive a petrol vehicle whilst their EV is off the road through no fault of their own?

I’ve never thought for a second that I should claim, so long as I can’t get about and don’t have to arrange lifts, taxis, or other alternative transport I couldn’t care less - I don’t expect a courtesy car to be like for like.
I’m not talking about a courtesy car for a service here. This has been going on for over 3 weeks already and they haven’t even been able to diagnose the problem yet, let alone fix it.

She’s about £200 per month worse off in running costs as a result of an 8 month old EV stopping charging through abosultely no fault of her own. The vehicle was marketed heavily on the aspect of reduced running costs surely there should be some recognition of this.

We’ll look at the small claims route if nothing satisfactory comes from discussions. Not overly concerned about falling out with the local dealer - there are a few round here, but more than that she’ll not be looking to continue with VW ownership for any longer than she has to once this poorly handled affair is over.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Not had any issue with the car since March but (and it could be coincidence) 2.3 finally installed itself on Saturday (pt1) and Monday (pt2) this week. Now I have had the "Electric drive not working, visit workshop" error on 2 out of 3 journeys.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

And today I am sat in the middle of a junction with a car that refuses to move just been told assistance will take an hour to get here and I'm meanwhile directing traffic. Luckily its a fairly quiet residential junction. But still pretty unacceptable.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

G43FAN wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:40 pm And today I am sat in the middle of a junction with a car that refuses to move just been told assistance will take an hour to get here and I'm meanwhile directing traffic. Luckily its a fairly quiet residential junction. But still pretty unacceptable.

Sorry to hear that 😟

Sounds like 2.3 may have highlighted an existing component issue. Doesn’t help with the directing traffic problem I know. And there’s few things worse than the fear of an unreliable vehicle 😟
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Still waiting, eta 14:42 now. Left it locked for probably best part of an hour, car starts up and error gone but the drive selector switch appears to do nothing at all. Can't release the hand brake to get it to roll to safety, so still directing traffic.

After the car breaking down at about midday, I called VW support at 12:30,,,

The car finally made it off the junction which it was obstructing and onto an AA transporter at 20:00.
2 AA patrols and 2 different transporters later.

The car would still have been sat in the junction now if it hadn't been for the second AA patrol that arrived. It ended up with two freewheeling hubs being attached to the rear in order to be able to shift the car. If that solution hadn't worked we would have been onto awaiting a 3rd recovery truck as it would have needed a Hiab..

Very frustrating and quite a concern, the original warning is an Amber warning, surely the car should be moveable at that point to get it to a safe location. Now I will have to fight to get a replacement car whilst waiting for the dealers to reopen on Wednesday and who knows how long it will be in awaiting repair.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

So for anyone interested..
The issue was the Drive selector switch, has been replaced and I have the car back now, although currently the wife has suggested we sell it. I've had a long chat with the dealer Techs and have opened a ticket with VW UK. I appreciate that incidents of failure will occud but with nothing other than an amber warning (which actually cleared anyway) for the car to be turned into effectively a beached whale is a real concern. Had this happened in a different location the consequences could have been much more severe.

As an aside had a Hyundai Ioniq petrol Hybrid for a couple of days as needed to go to Anglesey, tried getting an EV but not a chance, anyway, the Ioniq was OK as a vehicle but very noisy, you felt like you were torturing the poor thing to get it above 60 and any hills it was really struggling. Interior felt cheaper than the ID3, there was a horrendous reflection from the dashboard across the windscreen making visibility difficult in low light and the round trip cost me £35 in fuel!!!
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:34 am So for anyone interested..
The issue was the Drive selector switch, has been replaced and I have the car back now, although currently the wife has suggested we sell it. I've had a long chat with the dealer Techs and have opened a ticket with VW UK. I appreciate that incidents of failure will occud but with nothing other than an amber warning (which actually cleared anyway) for the car to be turned into effectively a beached whale is a real concern. Had this happened in a different location the consequences could have been much more severe.

As an aside had a Hyundai Ioniq petrol Hybrid for a couple of days as needed to go to Anglesey, tried getting an EV but not a chance, anyway, the Ioniq was OK as a vehicle but very noisy, you felt like you were torturing the poor thing to get it above 60 and any hills it was really struggling. Interior felt cheaper than the ID3, there was a horrendous reflection from the dashboard across the windscreen making visibility difficult in low light and the round trip cost me £35 in fuel!!!

Honestly if a similar issue with drive select switching had happened in any “automatic” (ICE or BEV) you’d have been similarly stranded.

If selling is right for you then by all means go for it…but there is little on sale competing with the ID.3 currently, and what little is on sale is on massive backorder too!

I drove a Hyundai Ionia Hybrid once too - in my opinion it was a horrid asthmatic family shitbox.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
jhg

Post by jhg »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:34 am So for anyone interested..
The issue was the Drive selector switch, has been replaced and I have the car back now, although currently the wife has suggested we sell it. I've had a long chat with the dealer Techs and have opened a ticket with VW UK.
I had a similar issue in the first few weeks of ownership, though at least my ID.3 broke down in a car park, not on a busy road. The solution was the same, involving replacing the drive selector switch. Six months on I've had no further problems so I'm glad I didn't pursue the rejection option.
ID.3 Tech Pro Perf, Glacier White, May 2021
Wallbox Pulsar Plus