Charging curves - Ionity and Gridserve

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I did back to back charging on Gridserve and Ionity twice yesterday, as an experiment, and because I was hoping Ionity would charge faster (it's also a bit cheaper for me). Today I checked the charge curves, and in both cases (only one set posted here), it appears to me that grid serve has a much more stable curve. The Gridserve charger is labeled a 60kW, the Ionity standard 350kW. Both at Beaconsfield, and as noted both charges within minutes of each other.

Any thoughts? Just thought it was interesting.

Vehicle is a Tour, could charge up to 125kW.

All the best

Andreas

Gridserve Beaconsfield 1.jpg

Ionity Beaconsfield 1.jpg

Ionity Chippenham.jpg

Gridserve Beaconsfield 2.jpg

Ionity Beaconsfield 2.jpg

Last edited by Andreas on Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I notice Ionity was first - was your battery a wee bit cold perhaps?
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

No sorry, just the way the pictures uploaded. Gridserve was first, and this was after driving ca. 60 miles at 70mph and with a preheated car (programmed departure but not on charger).

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Gridserve was at a lower starting SoC, go back and reverse the order in which you do them for a better comparison 🙂
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

scott28tt wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:24 pm Gridserve was at a lower starting SoC, go back and reverse the order in which you do them for a better comparison 🙂
All fixed and added the other three curves for good measure.

Thoughts, observations?

All the best

Andreas
——————
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Andreas wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:49 pm
scott28tt wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:24 pm Gridserve was at a lower starting SoC, go back and reverse the order in which you do them for a better comparison 🙂
All fixed and added the other three curves for good measure.

Thoughts, observations?

All the best

Andreas

Nope, your Gridserve SoC start % are still lower in all the examples?
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

As noted in the post, the order of charge was always Gridserve followed by Ionity. Chippenham the only one where I went for Ionity straight away as they were free when I got there.

From memory, even at lower SoC the Ionity curves always looked like this, and never as straight as the Gridserve ones.

All the best

Andreas
——————
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 1.19.36 PM.jpg

Here's an Ionity charging curve from the summer that covers similar SoC ranges. It just isn't that stable. I could post others, but they never are. I'm just wondering if there is some control software difference in the charging unit, or what?

All the best

Andreas
——————
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

The car's battery can only take a certain charge rate, which is not constant but reduces as a function of SoC. With Ionity, the available charger power is very high, so the charge rate you are seeing in that last curve is limited only by the car's battery. From what I've seen elsewhere (not having my own ID.3 yet) it looks completely normal. With Gridserve, in the SoC range shown above, the charge rate is limited by the 60kW charger, not by the car. That's why you have a fairly constant rate of ~60kW. If you continued charging with the Gridserve charger past 80% SoC it would become limited by the car and start to follow a similar path to the Ionity curve in that SoC range.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.