Roof Creaking

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Lundqvist_Zed

Post by Lundqvist_Zed » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:51 pm

Hi all,
At the start of November (the week it gets cold in the UK) I was driving over a speed bump or similar (nice and gently) when a gentle crack noise came from the roof area. Couldn't see any issue, but since then the roof creaks any time I go over a road height change and more so at an angle not square on (eg left wheel up before right so there is a twisted weight on the chassis).
Why is my roof creaking?. This is my first panoramic roof, is this normal and just made all the more noticeable by the absence of engine noise etc?
If I push down (not hard) around the outside edge of the roof there are a couple of areas that there is flex and creaking. Has a seal gone or is this a seasonal effect and rubber has shrunk with the cold and is now rubbing on the glass rather than being permanently pressed against it?
I'm going to talk to my dealer, but I'm posting this incase i'm overreacting, or if there is any guidance that I need to be insistent etc.

Many thanks in advance for you help

Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:29 am

It could be related to a seal but I've seen the setup on the car as mine is still months away !
However, its sounds similar to a problem I had with the window rubbers on a Touran many years ago. The window rubbers would creak against the glass and was really annoying at slow speeds. It was fixed by VW adding an additional strip of what looked like sellotape on the inside of the rubber strip that then sat against the glass.
I'm sure this problem occurred during the colder months as the rubber harden up.
58kWh 204 ps Family Pro Performance. Makena Turquios East Derry 18” alloys.

Ordered 26/10/21
Order No. 31517XXX
Awaiting build info
May 2022 delivery from dealer

Anduain

Post by Anduain » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:33 am

Getting the same and it’s increasingly loud until it’s warm.

Problem is that by the time it gets to the dealer the car is warm and it’s not creaking.
Yorkshireman, living in Barcelona.
ID.3 Pro Max, Metallic Makena-turquoise, since December 2020, 2.3
11kw/h 3-phase charger at home, granny charge via Solar