Total blackout of infotainment and instrument binnacle

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Yossa

Post by Yossa »

The pop sound is the Bluetooth connecting to the cell phone, happens sometimes

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

HeidiFlowerpt Driver wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:44 pm Hi, in 15 months of ownership I haven't experienced this before:

Mid-journey I heard a sharp 'click' or spark sound and both the infotainment and instrument binnacle screens went totally black. So... no speedometer even.

After a few seconds both displays began to reboot, and within about 30 seconds everything was back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? And was it a one-off, or a harbinger of further trouble?
Let us know how it resolves. Sorry your thread was hijacked.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Daveion wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:30 am
HeidiFlowerpt Driver wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:44 pm Hi, in 15 months of ownership I haven't experienced this before:

Mid-journey I heard a sharp 'click' or spark sound and both the infotainment and instrument binnacle screens went totally black. So... no speedometer even.

After a few seconds both displays began to reboot, and within about 30 seconds everything was back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? And was it a one-off, or a harbinger of further trouble?
Thank you. So far it's been a one-off, but quite recent so I'll watch out for it over the next few months. I'm generally very happy with my car, including with its warranty duration (!) and certainly would never go back to ICE vehicles. My wife is not nearly so positive, she still drives a small Mercedes diesel and doesn't trust EVs. Any time we're on a journey and roll up at a public chargepoint which turns out to be faulty or in use, she begins muttering about how EVs are impractical, unusable, etc. And every journey we begin she interrogates me - how much charge do you have? Will it be enough to get there? ... etc. I don't know if she'll ever come around.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

HeidiFlowerpt Driver wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:40 am
Daveion wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:30 am

Thank you. So far it's been a one-off, but quite recent so I'll watch out for it over the next few months. I'm generally very happy with my car, including with its warranty duration (!) and certainly would never go back to ICE vehicles. My wife is not nearly so positive, she still drives a small Mercedes diesel and doesn't trust EVs. Any time we're on a journey and roll up at a public chargepoint which turns out to be faulty or in use, she begins muttering about how EVs are impractical, unusable, etc. And every journey we begin she interrogates me - how much charge do you have? Will it be enough to get there? ... etc. I don't know if she'll ever come around.

Once the electric public charging infrastructure becomes "as good as" the fossil fuel public charging infrastructure, she'll likely come right round. It's early days yet for "refuelling" EV's in public.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Paulbergin

Post by Paulbergin »

Interesting. I experienced the same total blackout last week after 12 months of driving with nothing similar. Reboot in seconds and as I was only coasting at 20mph at the time, I wasn’t sure if I had lost any power to the drive. Nothing similar on this forum so maybe very rare. A bit concerning but the car is great and I tell everyone I will never own an ICE again.