Does the ID3 have a speed limit warning alarm sounder ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Vic Thompson

Post by Vic Thompson »

There's been a bit of a revamp of the speed limits in my surrounding area and a couple of times I've inadvertently driven at the old speed limit rather than the new one. Is there a way of making my ID3 emit a warning tone if I do this again or would I have to use a third party Sat Nav system for this purpose.

All useful info appreciated,

Vic Thompson.

The vehicle is an ID3 Life Pro and it was new in August 2021.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

You can set it to warn you that you've exceeded the speed limit, either at the actual speed limit or a defined number of MPH above the speed limit, as determined by the sat-nav acting actively or passively to monitor speed limits. It occasionally gets it wrong - picking up the speed limit at the top of a slip road from the dual carriageway you're on etc.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Vic Thompson

Post by Vic Thompson »

Thanks for the reply. I've now set up a visual and audio alarm to indicate when I cross the "speed threshold", but it's only a single tone at crossover point. Is there any way to get a continuous warble when exceeding the speed limit as being hard of hearing I often miss the momentary tone alarm when it sounds.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

There's a big number display which indicates how fast you are going constantly. How did you manage to stick to the speed limit in previous cars?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:41 am There's a big number display which indicates how fast you are going constantly. How did you manage to stick to the speed limit in previous cars?
There's a bit of adjustment to be had moving away from ICE, without constantly looking at the Speedo. I used to know how fast I was going in 5th and 6th within +/- 2mph, just on engine note. Its far easier to accidentally speed now if you don't have alerts set up.

That being said, anyone on uncontested roads who's worried about speeding could rely on ACC to keep them right, and There's the warning tone (which may be of limited use to the OP who's hard of hearing).
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
TimF

Post by TimF »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:41 am There's a big number display which indicates how fast you are going constantly. How did you manage to stick to the speed limit in previous cars?
I'm still getting used to a digital speedo. What I'm trying to do is be aware in peripheral vision of the first digit, and not to spend too much time checking the numbers.

An aspect of keeping to a limit is sound. The ID is so much quieter in terms of sounds which are directly related to speed that I'm not getting anything like the amount of info from it.

Given the range of cues given by the large number of LED arrays, I'd have thought it would be possible to provide something like an optional colour change from green through yellow to orange as one passed from below to above a multiple of 10mph (+/- a user setting). That ought to be registered readily by peripheral vision.

Has anyone done checks on the accuracy of the VW digitial speedo? UK regulations used to require instruments to show a reading within +10% to 0% of actual, so most manufacturers aimed at around +5%. Not sure what the situation is these days.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

TimF wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:36 am
I'm still getting used to a digital speedo. What I'm trying to do is be aware in peripheral vision of the first digit, and not to spend too much time checking the numbers.

An aspect of keeping to a limit is sound. The ID is so much quieter in terms of sounds which are directly related to speed that I'm not getting anything like the amount of info from it.

Given the range of cues given by the large number of LED arrays, I'd have thought it would be possible to provide something like an optional colour change from green through yellow to orange as one passed from below to above a multiple of 10mph (+/- a user setting). That ought to be registered readily by peripheral vision.

Has anyone done checks on the accuracy of the VW digitial speedo? UK regulations used to require instruments to show a reading within +10% to 0% of actual, so most manufacturers aimed at around +5%. Not sure what the situation is these days.
If you are really worried about this I would just turn on the speed limit preview function in ACC.
Re: speedo tests, I don't know if they are all the same but Battery Life on YouTube says to get an accurate GPS speed he always needs to set his ID3's Speedo to 3kph over at either 90kph or 130kph. The margin is therefore a lot less than the old 10%. He seems to see the same in most cars he tests although there was one that was more like 5% I think. In summary, I think they are a lot more accurate than they used to be.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I'm not being deliberately obtuse here, but the fact is it's still the responsibility of the person in the seat to know the speed limit and the speed of the vehicle in the eyes of the law.
Vic Thompson wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:31 pm There's been a revamp of the speed limits
Unfortunately until the map data catches up the car will probably have issues recognising these changes, There's some around here that have been changed for in excess of 5 years yo my knowledge that I have reported via the mapping tool web page and they are still not up to date. (changes to 60mph in a 30 zone) so the built in warnings may not be fit for purpose anyway.

As suggested however, using ACC is probably the cleanest option in these circumstances (Still reliant on the car 'seeing' the new limit's though). The car then seems to drive at 1mph below whatever it picks up as the speed limit.