SOS not working, amber

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
maccyj

Post by maccyj »

Hi
About 6 weeks ago, the amber warning "SOS fault, call workshop" appeared. My workshop took a look and diagnosed the need for a new unit, plus a couple of other faults (including the need to replace the left hand steering wheel module which was continually buzzing and vibrating). Some weeks later they said they had the parts and booked it in. When I collected it, the other jobs had been done but the unit was on back order. One month later, it is still on back order. The problem is that I want to sell the car, got a great px offer, but I can't sell it with the fault showing it seems.
Any suggestions, or other experience please?

ID3 1st Edition.

Hypercube

Post by Hypercube »

Can't make any suggestions I'm afraid but here is my experience for what its worth.

I had a problem with an "SOS fault" which eventually required the communications module to be changed; or that's what I was told.

The car went in on the 9th December 2021 for diagnosis; SOS showing amber light for several weeks at that point. They could not get the module until the following Monday but did receive it and fit it that same day. We were without the car for 5 days including the weekend.

Obviously this was some time ago so availability of the relevant module may well have changed.

The dealer also said they would complete the 2.3 software upgrade for me as this was probably failing because of the communications module. However, when they returned the car, it hadn't been done in fact. Par for the course with the VW dealer in my experience.

Now several months later, the 2.3 OTA update still hasn't taken though it did try once. No explanation from VW as to why; I have full 4G/5G coverage on the driveway after all. Oh well.

Best of luck.
Griff

Post by Griff »

Hello experts,
this seems the same issue that I am having. I have the "SOS Warning" light come on all the time. Car communications seems to be fine, it communicates with the App. And to my embarrasment the SOS Emergency Call is working fine too (I just spoke to the Emergency Dispatcher..)

Has anyone got any furher experience with this issue. Will it really require a workshop visit?

SOS_Warning.jpg

:: ID.3 Life Pro :: Manganese Grey :: East Derry Alloys :: Tow Hitch ::
January 2022.
Pod Point Solo 3 Home Charger.
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Griff wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:59 pm Hello experts,
this seems the same issue that I am having. I have the "SOS Warning" light come on all the time. Car communications seems to be fine, it communicates with the App. And to my embarrasment the SOS Emergency Call is working fine too (I just spoke to the Emergency Dispatcher..)

Has anyone got any furher experience with this issue. Will it really require a workshop visit?

SOS_Warning.jpg

For what it's worth, I've just got back from Bruges and the SOS warning light came on, on the way back. The car carried on working fine and I may be wrong but, I've learned to ignore most of the warning lights (if the car is still behaving itself) and carry on regardless, because I've found that it sorts itself out eventually. One day I'll no doubt get my fingers burnt, but I'm sorry VW, your software expertise has left me not trusting your supposed warnings. VW are car engineers trying to be software engineers and they've still got a way to go, IMHO.
I love the car but the glitches and idiosyncrasies leave me feeling my trust in VW is being eroded. They're hype and promises are first-class but the delivery of said hype and promises doesn't get near.
The switch to electrification is throwing up major problems, for the legacy makers and China is ready to pounce...
Keep us posted, on the status of yours! :D
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
Griff

Post by Griff »

StuartT wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:28 pm
For what it's worth, I've just got back from Bruges and the SOS warning light came on, on the way back. The car carried on working fine and I may be wrong but, I've learned to ignore most of the warning lights (if the car is still behaving itself) and carry on regardless, because I've found that it sorts itself out eventually. One day I'll no doubt get my fingers burnt, but I'm sorry VW, your software expertise has left me not trusting your supposed warnings. VW are car engineers trying to be software engineers and they've still got a way to go, IMHO.
Yes, I have been driving with it for several weeks with no adverse effects. I don't want to book it into workshop unless I really have to. But the previous replies implied it was indictative of something needing changing.

I spoke to the workshop who gave me the option to call out VW Assist (aka The AA) (I don't live close to the VW dealer). They were helpful, seemed to have information about the fault but informed me it wasn't something they were able to do at the roadside. But they wouldn't tell me what it was or what needed doing...
:: ID.3 Life Pro :: Manganese Grey :: East Derry Alloys :: Tow Hitch ::
January 2022.
Pod Point Solo 3 Home Charger.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

This typically requires a control unit change.
I drove with the error for 3 weeks, on holiday, with no other effects.
I finally took it in as I was selling my car and wanted it ticketyboo!
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

:cry:
OB1CCFC wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:15 pm This typically requires a control unit change.
I drove with the error for 3 weeks, on holiday, with no other effects.
I finally took it in as I was selling my car and wanted it ticketyboo!
After reading this thread a few weeks ago, I decided to book the car in. Long story short, they collected the car this morning, dropped it off tonight, and it needs a new control module(?!)
It's booked in for the 9th February and here's hoping it's returned on the same day again :)
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

A quick update to say that they didn't have the part, in February, but it arrived and the car had a new SOS Control Module fitted on Thursday. All is well.
The main reason for this post is to say that there was a knock on the door last night (Friday) and a box was left at the door by the courier. I opened it up and it was a very nice hamper, with a couple of bottles of plonk and some lovely dark chocolate and salted caramel chocolates, amongst many other things (it was definitely a middle-class VW type hamper 😁). There was also a thank you card from Peter Cooper VW and I can only assume I got it is because I didn't complain to them throughout the delay(?)
Anyway, credit where credit's due. Thank you, Peter Cooper 😎
Haughley

Post by Haughley »

My app stopped working with the car after a front bumper replacement in January. I also got an error message from VW when trying to connect. There were other minor faults such as the alarm going off which got worse. My car went in to Hereford VW early Feb to have 12v battery change and 2.4 upgrade. It fixed the car alarm going off but still no app connectivity and I could’t download the new digital manual as no connectivity to VW servers. The car was booked in for 10 days from 8 March to get it sorted. They only gave me a manual, petrol golf as a courtesy car. After 6 weeks with all the chasing up by me, they told me the Comms control unit would need to be replaced and about 10 days for delivery from Germany. Today (2`5 weeks later-28 April), when I chased it up, I was told the comms unit wouldn’t arrive until towards the end of May.

I despair. I wonder to what extent it is local dealer incompetence, or Milton Keynes VW (whom they have liaised with), or VW Germany. Is there anything I can do? I am minded to at least get my car back til they have the part in.