Couldn’t close the bonnet!

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
rmrpanda

Post by rmrpanda »

So went for my longest yet drive yesterday to a show then the in-laws on our way home… The men of the family wanted to see what my car looked like under the bonnet. After all happy and wowed, we went to close the bonnet to go home. It would not shut. At all. We tried everything from pulling the lever inside, to gentle force to much more force, wiggling all the catch parts - you name it. Even had a local mechanic take a look!
Anyway, in the meantime we call the vw recovery team who were going to be at least an hour. So we settled down for a wait.
After about 30ish mins my hubby was walking past the car and tried again. It shut. No problems at all!!! Couldn’t believe it.
So we rang vw again and called it off.
Has anyone else had this issue??? We are pretty certain it was because it was a warm day and the bonnet etc had got hot. Nevertheless I will not be opening it again unless at my local garage… and I will be getting it checked over by them (to add to them checking the plastic housing around my brake light which keeps falling off too!).
Please share your experiences!
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh 145ps | Manganese grey | 2022 | PodPoint tethered home charger

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Never had any problems!

But you’ll need to open in to top up your screen wash..
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

First time this problem has been reported to my knowledge.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Haven'thad this problem. Are you actually pushing it closed, or letting it drop from about 20 degrees up from its closed position (as you should)?

What are the gaps like all around the bonnet? If they're uniform, it's likely you don't have any alignment issues.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
rmrpanda

Post by rmrpanda »

Trust me we tried everything!! And now, days later the bonnet looks absolutely fine. Uniform all over. I have not tried to open it since as I need my car for work! I will try on another warm/hot day when I’m either at the dealership or at least at home. Apparently some other vw models have issues with the bonnet closure device so although it may not be a common problem for the ID3… it is for others!
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh 145ps | Manganese grey | 2022 | PodPoint tethered home charger
itsmeGAV

Post by itsmeGAV »

Very interesting, never seen this issue at all.. are you sure the bonnet prop/pole was in it's correct place as it can be a tad fiddly to put back correctly.
2021 Life Pro Performance - Manganese Grey - 19" Andoyas - Software 2.3 - SOLD July 2022.