Postcodes not recognised in VW Sat Nav

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
CSGMART

Post by CSGMART »

Hello,

First post here. I have an ID.3 (took delivery end of November 2021) and it's been brilliant in the 5 months we've owned it, however there is one thing which is annoying us - some postcodes we enter into the sat nav are not recognised. Entering them into Google Maps shows them to be accurate and whilst we could in theory use Android Auto as a work around I would like to solve the issue because the sat nav should work.

To be clear - some postcodes work just fine, whilst others it does not recognise. Does anyone else have this problem and are VW aware of it?

If it makes a difference - our ID.3 is a Family Pro Performance 204PS.

Wurzzle

Post by Wurzzle »

Same issue on our ID3 and California Camper, both running same version of Satnav software.
Only suggestion... Try with or without a space between 3rd-4th digit. Very hit n miss!
I think VW (along with many other manufacturers) have pretty much decided that A.A and Carplay are the way forward, and therefore it's pointless throwing money updating an outdated technology.
TBH it makes sense. The phone (computer) in your pocket probably had more processing power, so why not utilise it. All they need to do is mirror that technology to an LCD screen.
Probably not the answer you were hoping for, but I'm pretty sure that's the way we're going.....
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (March 22), Makena Turquoise, East Derry alloys, Transport hitch, Wallbox Pulsar.
And a 2015 22kw Renault Zoe (battery 98% S.O.H after 45k)
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

I have the same issue. Like others, I've tried all sorts but the outcome is very hit and miss. I have found using WeConnect useful, i.e find the location you want and then send it to the car. The problem is you need to do it days in advance and then save it because it can take days to arrive at the car. I had hoped VW would buy-in latest post codes database as I can't imagine it costing them too much, perhaps it's technically too difficult.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I have the same frustration and make sure my android auto is available as the back up.
One thing I have found which is a puzzle is when a post code fails to give a result it may work with the full address without the post code?
House number, road and town? Strange.
Have had to do this a few times and concluded post code info must be less up to date than road layouts and names.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

I believe the map within the We Connect ID app uses Google maps. You could try the postcode within the app map and see if it comes up and if so send it to the car.
The only thing with this is it is a bit hit and miss for the destination to hit the car's screen.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I haven't tried that. How do you send it to the car?
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Hopeful

Post by Hopeful »

Tap the magnifying glass symbol and insert desired address. The destination map comes up with the address; tap the blue send circle to the right of the address and it sends it to the car (sometimes!). It worked when I looked up Whipsnade Zoo - received by car almost instantaneously. Still waiting for a postcode destination to materialise though.
Life Pro 58kWh Stonewashed blue with East Derry wheels
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

This is how it is shown on Android

Map.jpg

Then touch the "Share" symbol.

Send.jpg

ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
CSGMART

Post by CSGMART »

Thank you - will give this a go.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Newfie wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:06 pm This is how it is shown on Android
Map.jpg

Send.jpg
Thanks Newfie
I got this far and shared to the car but there was nothing to indicate anything had been received.
I thought it may be a notification?? Is there a setting in the car that needs to change maybe.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Daveion wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:32 am
Map.jpg

Send.jpg
Thanks Newfie
I got this far and shared to the car but there was nothing to indicate anything had been received.
I thought it may be a notification?? Is there a setting in the car that needs to change maybe.
It comes up automatically as a notification (with options to save etc) when you open the navigation in the car. However the catch is that it usually takes a day or so to arrive. You'll probably find your destination arrives in the nav once you are already there...
This is one aspect of the app that really needs improving.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

sidehaas wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:00 am
Daveion wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:32 am
Map.jpg

Send.jpg
Thanks Newfie
It comes up automatically as a notification (with options to save etc) when you open the navigation in the car. However the catch is that it usually takes a day or so to arrive. You'll probably find your destination arrives in the nav once you are already there...
This is one aspect of the app that really needs improving.
😂🤣😄
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
smuj

Post by smuj »

Seems the satnav in the ID3 is a step backwards to previous models. In all my Golfs with satnav and my Tiguan, on the destination screen there was a postcode option and never had an issue choosing a postcode to navigate to.

I had the option to send destinations from the id app to my Tiguan and worked 100%. Difference was that on the Tiguan you had to manually download from the server rather than the car automatically receiving it. So far tried probably a couple of dozen times on the id3 app and 100% failure. Krap!
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.