Only getting 3Kw on 22KW charger

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
BBlackmore

Post by BBlackmore »

I am new to all of this and quite confused. Have seen on here that the car can only charge at 11Kw on a 22Kw charger, but my car is only charging at 3Kw. Have tried 3 different charging stations.
Suspect there is something I am doing wrong, or have not activated.
Also, have tried 4 different rapid chargers and cannot get any of them to work. Have called Charge Scotland who always assure me the charging station has been working for other users. Can only assume that it is either the car or me, probably me.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

When using the AC 22KW chargers you need to have a suitable cable, you need a 3 phase 32amp cable.
davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

Do you have the 'Reduced AC charging current' setting enabled in the car or in the WeConnect ID app? This will reduce the 11kWh (max ac charging with the ID.3) down quite a bit.

Do you have any locations set in the car? This might mess up charging at public chargers.

With regard to rapid charging, did the chargers start delivering current to the car or not? Some chargers have to be started with NFC cards, some via an app. From your description, it isn't clear if the start-up routine for the chargers was correct. Daft question - when rapid charging was tried (dc), did you remove the 'extra' cover at the bottom of the car charging port? Have to ask, just in case...

My ID.3 chargers perfectly at home, and at every (working) public charger I've tried too, except one. It's a 22kWh EO charger and people I know with Tesla's, MG's and Polestars use it & charge without issue. When I plug the same charger in, my ID.3 attempts to start, but the usual 'clunk' on the car side doesn't happen and eventually, the flashing white light at the car charge-port turns solid red. I can't explain this at all!
71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

As stated above check for locations and reduced AC charging.

Regarding DC charging, check the bottom plug is removed, not as daft as it sounds, I have helped 3 people at chargers with that one.

For me there are two chargers that do the “no clunk” thing, the only thing is that they don’t have an app to activate. I have never been able to start charging our car with DC without and app or trigger.

Not much help, just sympathy.
BBlackmore

Post by BBlackmore »

Big_GT wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:28 pm When using the AC 22KW chargers you need to have a suitable cable, you need a 3 phase 32amp cable.
I am using the cable supplied by Volkswagen.
BBlackmore

Post by BBlackmore »

davidwalton wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:37 pm Do you have the 'Reduced AC charging current' setting enabled in the car or in the WeConnect ID app? This will reduce the 11kWh (max ac charging with the ID.3) down quite a bit.

Do you have any locations set in the car? This might mess up charging at public chargers.

With regard to rapid charging, did the chargers start delivering current to the car or not? Some chargers have to be started with NFC cards, some via an app. From your description, it isn't clear if the start-up routine for the chargers was correct. Daft question - when rapid charging was tried (dc), did you remove the 'extra' cover at the bottom of the car charging port? Have to ask, just in case...

My ID.3 chargers perfectly at home, and at every (working) public charger I've tried too, except one. It's a 22kWh EO charger and people I know with Tesla's, MG's and Polestars use it & charge without issue. When I plug the same charger in, my ID.3 attempts to start, but the usual 'clunk' on the car side doesn't happen and eventually, the flashing white light at the car charge-port turns solid red. I can't explain this at all!
The reduced AC charging current setting is off. No locations set.
Have been speaking to Charge Scotland about the procedures for the rapid chargers. Attempted via the app as my card has not arrived yet. Did remove the extra cover (otherwise could not connect). While speaking withy Charge Scotland they can see that the connection is made but cannot explain why it doe snot complete and in no occasion did it start to deliver any power.
BBlackmore

Post by BBlackmore »

Interestingly, have been back to my nearest bank of 6 22kw chargers. Have tried three, the first one did not work, the other two (plus a third in Ayr) charged at 3kw. Tonight I am getting 7kw!
The whole thing is a mystery to me.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

BBlackmore wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:00 pm Interestingly, have been back to my nearest bank of 6 22kw chargers. Have tried three, the first one did not work, the other two (plus a third in Ayr) charged at 3kw. Tonight I am getting 7kw!
The whole thing is a mystery to me.
And it will long continue! We have 32k km of mystery so far, loved every km of it!