Incorrect range reported in the App.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
ColinRobbins

Post by ColinRobbins »

When the EV is driving or charging the range is Miles is the App is correctly reported.

Sometimes, then the car is parked up, the range is incorrectly reported in Miles is incorrect.
It turns out the errors is a factor of 0.62, it seems coincidental this is the conversion factor for miles to km.

Have VW a unit conversion issue i the App?

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

ColinRobbins wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:54 pm When the EV is driving or charging the range is Miles is the App is correctly reported.

Sometimes, then the car is parked up, the range is incorrectly reported in Miles is incorrect.
It turns out the errors is a factor of 0.62, it seems coincidental this is the conversion factor for miles to km.

Have VW a unit conversion issue i the App?
Not that I have noticed.
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

Is the app reporting a different range from the car itself? I've noticed that the range often jumps (up or down) when the powermode changes (e.g. I park the car and as soon as I get out of the driver's seat, the powermode decides I've finished for a while and I may see the range change significantly). I think this is down to how the vehicle calculates the range based on recent driving and consumption.
If you see different data in the app and the car, that's a problem, but I've not seen this myself.
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.
Lecoche

Post by Lecoche »

ProstetnicVogonJeltz wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:39 am Is the app reporting a different range from the car itself? I've noticed that the range often jumps (up or down) when the powermode changes (e.g. I park the car and as soon as I get out of the driver's seat, the powermode decides I've finished for a while and I may see the range change significantly). I think this is down to how the vehicle calculates the range based on recent driving and consumption.
If you see different data in the app and the car, that's a problem, but I've not seen this myself.
As mentioned above it's not an actual range issue, it's converting miles into miles again therefore showing 62% of the correct value. On my ID3 this seems to happen randomly whether it's just parked or charging.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Lecoche wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:57 am
ProstetnicVogonJeltz wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:39 am Is the app reporting a different range from the car itself? I've noticed that the range often jumps (up or down) when the powermode changes (e.g. I park the car and as soon as I get out of the driver's seat, the powermode decides I've finished for a while and I may see the range change significantly). I think this is down to how the vehicle calculates the range based on recent driving and consumption.
As mentioned above it's not an actual range issue, it's converting miles into miles again therefore showing 62% of the correct value. On my ID3 this seems to happen randomly whether it's just parked or charging.
Never noticed the issue and never seen any report of the conversion being an issue, the GoM calcualtion constantly changing is more likely, though perhaps including some fundemental info such as Car Software version, Phone OS and App Version might be helpful in establishing a pattern.
Laurie71

Post by Laurie71 »

I’m seeing the same thing, I charge the car to 80% and the app incorrectly reports the range being 116 miles. Hop in the car which correctly reports the range as being 195 miles and within a few seconds the app updates to show the same. A few hours after leaving the car the app drops back to wrong range reading again. People think this is a 3.0 issue although my car came with this installed so I have no comparison with 2.x
ID.3 Family Pro Makena Turquoise
Lecoche

Post by Lecoche »

Laurie71 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:00 pm I’m seeing the same thing, I charge the car to 80% and the app incorrectly reports the range being 116 miles. Hop in the car which correctly reports the range as being 195 miles and within a few seconds the app updates to show the same. A few hours after leaving the car the app drops back to wrong range reading again. People think this is a 3.0 issue although my car came with this installed so I have no comparison with 2.x
Mine's also on 3.0 from day one and yesterday I uninstalled the app and did a factory reset on the infotainment system so time will tell.
Does your app show the preferred charging times one hour behind from the hours set in the vehicle?
Cheers,
Lecoche

Post by Lecoche »

Unfortunately the reset didn't do the trick. The app still reports the additional conversion to miles.
Laurie71

Post by Laurie71 »

I’m seeing more and more reports of this issue on various Facebook groups, it does appear to be a 3.0 bug, guess we’ll have to wait for VW to push out an update.
ID.3 Family Pro Makena Turquoise
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Laurie71 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:16 pm I’m seeing more and more reports of this issue on various Facebook groups, it does appear to be a 3.0 bug, guess we’ll have to wait for VW to push out an update.
Finding the same issue on the Born running 3.0.
Cupra digital suggested reinstalling the app but it made no difference. The server still takes the mileage and reports the range at the app much less by the conversion (km to miles) factor of 1.61.
Would have thought this was an easyfix but seemingly not.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Daveion wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:38 pm
Laurie71 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:16 pm I’m seeing more and more reports of this issue on various Facebook groups, it does appear to be a 3.0 bug, guess we’ll have to wait for VW to push out an update.
Cupra digital suggested reinstalling the app but it made no difference. The server still takes the mileage and reports the range at the app much less by the conversion (km to miles) factor of 1.61.
I assume Cupra Digital and WeConnect are the same people?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

G43FAN wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:07 am
Daveion wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:38 pm
I assume Cupra Digital and WeConnect are the same people?
Behind the initial contact point I would have thought so, maybe separate teams.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Tony Cr

Post by Tony Cr »

I am not sure of this conversion explanation. The App often loses connection with the car and then defaults to 112 miles. I have found it stops updating when on a charge. The only solution is to do an optimizer run which forces the app to shut down and then it usually connects on re-opening.
I am coming to the conclusion the only real solution for me is to get rid of the car ASAP and get something without so many problems
ricko

Post by ricko »

All

This happens when you open the car but don't power it on, then relock
The same occurs on the "My Volkswagen" web page, so it's not an app issue as such, either it's the car or the back-end services somewhere
I have reported it to VW software support and the case is still open - I guess it will be fixed at some future update, but who knows when ?

Cheers
RIck
Life Pro Performance Kings Red + heatpump
Ordered 11/10/2021 @ Inchcape
Build week 38/22
Collected 20/07/22

Intelligent Octopus referral link (£50 credit) : https://share.octopus.energy/frost-snake-180
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

ricko wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:36 am All

The same occurs on the "My Volkswagen" web page, so it's not an app issue as such, either it's the car or the back-end services somewhere
I have reported it to VW software support and the case is still open - I guess it will be fixed at some future update, but who knows when ?

Cheers
RIck
Wait ! Are you saying that the car connection issue / losing connection is caused by this? Sounds quite plausible and not something I would suggest people would easily pick up on.
Last edited by G43FAN on Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:38 am
ricko wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:36 am All

Cheers
RIck
Wait !!! Are you saying that the car connection issue / losing connection is caused by this? Sounds quite plausible and not something I would suggest people would eaily pickl up on.
Sounds unlikely. I do that (unlock and relock without sitting in the car and turning it on) quite regularly, including every time I put it on charge at home. I've never had the loss of connection issue (except a week where it only used 3G for some reason, but that had now actual impact) and I've never had this incorrect range thing either.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

I have exactly the same issue. The car reports an accurate range, but after charging, the app is wildly out. See below:

[attachment=0]Screenshot_20221216-204639.png

Screenshot_20221216-204639.png

Family Pro Performance Moonstone Grey
Ordered 26 Nov 2021
Listers Nuneaton
Order No: 31568xxx
Build week : Unconfirmed
Delivered: 23 Sept 22
White Zappi 7kW - Tethered
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

@skippy further up the thread I think there is a multiplier. Try times 1.62 = 178 miles, is that more what it should be?
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

It is, but VW have not sorted this out 6 months after it was reported on here. Is there a mechanism to flag the issue to WeConnect/VW?
Family Pro Performance Moonstone Grey
Ordered 26 Nov 2021
Listers Nuneaton
Order No: 31568xxx
Build week : Unconfirmed
Delivered: 23 Sept 22
White Zappi 7kW - Tethered
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Skippy wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:20 am It is, but VW have not sorted this out 6 months after it was reported on here. Is there a mechanism to flag the issue to WeConnect/VW?
Keep reporting it I suppose. I have an on-going query with them.