Battery lost 20% overnight

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
slug56

Post by slug56 »

Hello - me again, having recently posted about my faulty rain sensor. Not having a great time with the id.3 recently regarding faults.

Anyway, the car was parked on the drive (unplugged) last night with 69% charge until 06:55 when it dived straight down to 53% and then a bit more before my wife took it to work.

Screenshot_20220810-155947.png

Didn't do any preheating, nor have any departure schedules set. If it reoccurs, I'll naturally book it in for (yet another) workshop visit, but curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar? I'm hoping it's not a defective cell in the battery pack, or anything like that :roll:
Max Pro Performance, Glacier White, 18" East Derrys, MY22

Abadgermac

Post by Abadgermac »

What app is that? Looks useful.
ID.3 1st Edition, Manganese Grey Metallic. 2.1 Software update 7 April 2021. 2.3 OTA Software update 2 August 2021. Dealer installed 2.4 update & battery 29 July 2022. 3.0 OTA update 21 December 2022. 3.2 Dealer installed October 2023.
slug56

Post by slug56 »

Abadgermac wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:29 pm What app is that? Looks useful.
I thought that question might get asked :D
It's Home Assistant, which I have running on a Raspberry Pi under my desk. Some legend developed a module that integrates with the WeConnect ID API, so I can see stuff like this:

Screenshot_20220810-163924.png

Abadgermac

Post by Abadgermac »

Wow. Impressive. But beyond my capabilities ☹️
ID.3 1st Edition, Manganese Grey Metallic. 2.1 Software update 7 April 2021. 2.3 OTA Software update 2 August 2021. Dealer installed 2.4 update & battery 29 July 2022. 3.0 OTA update 21 December 2022. 3.2 Dealer installed October 2023.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

and what did it say 'In-car'?
slug56

Post by slug56 »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:25 pm and what did it say 'In-car'?
No errors or anything, just the battery percentage and range much lower than when it was left. I'm going to charge up to 80% tonight and keep an eye on it. On Friday I should be giving it a charge to 100%, so I suspect that could be quite telling if there is a battery issue.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Looks to me like a problem with your software route, there is nothing that can make the battery instantaneously lose charge like that and I've never heard of anyone reporting something similar from WeConnectID although that's plausible.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
slug56

Post by slug56 »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:59 pm Looks to me like a problem with your software route, there is nothing that can make the battery instantaneously lose charge like that and I've never heard of anyone reporting something similar from WeConnectID although that's plausible.
Sorry, what do you mean by software route? I'm only using the Home Assistant screenshot to show the history, if that's what you mean, since WeConnect ID only gives an instantaneous readout. I know the battery was on about 70% last night (as shown in WeConnect ID and in the car itself) and both of those were showing the significantly lower percentage and mileage this morning.

Anyway, I'll monitor over the next few days and see what, if anything, comes of it :?
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

As a thought, could the remote air con have been accidentally engaged overnight at all?
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
slug56

Post by slug56 »

gailjon wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:47 pm As a thought, could the remote air con have been accidentally engaged overnight at all?
Don't think so. I didn't manually turn anything on and don't have any schedules. If you look at the graph, it's not as though the battery slowly depleted through the night, but rather it was reporting 69% all through the night and suddenly 53% at 06:55 :(
AlistairL

Post by AlistairL »

The jump is interesting - have you worked out what the effective kWh drain was ?
ID.3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White & East Derry Wheels
Ordered 17th March 2022
Build Week 10
Collected from Western Volkswagen Fort Kinnaird on 01 April 2023
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

slug56 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:10 pm
sidehaas wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:59 pm Looks to me like a problem with your software route, there is nothing that can make the battery instantaneously lose charge like that and I've never heard of anyone reporting something similar from WeConnectID although that's plausible.
Sorry, what do you mean by software route? I'm only using the Home Assistant screenshot to show the history, if that's what you mean, since WeConnect ID only gives an instantaneous readout. I know the battery was on about 70% last night (as shown in WeConnect ID and in the car itself) and both of those were showing the significantly lower percentage and mileage this morning.

Anyway, I'll monitor over the next few days and see what, if anything, comes of it :?
That graph makes it look scary, but I don't think the app refreshes unless asked to, so assuming you weren't up all night refreshing your phone the 'drop' is just the point at which WeConnect refreshed and got a new SoC? Is the graph assuming no change up to that point, was it in fact a gradual decrease?

If it was in fact a sudden loss at 6:55am I've never seen anything like this before, and frankly the only thing I could imagine causing that would be losing some cells in the battery. (scary and would be obvious quite quickly)
slug56

Post by slug56 »

AlistairL wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:38 am The jump is interesting - have you worked out what the effective kWh drain was ?
Morning. The drop would equate to between 9-10kWh I think.
G43FAN wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:07 am That graph makes it look scary, but I don't think the app refreshes unless asked to, so assuming you weren't up all night refreshing your phone the 'drop' is just the point at which WeConnect refreshed and got a new SoC? Is the graph assuming no change up to that point, was it in fact a gradual decrease?
It's definitely not this. The car sends an update to VW's servers any time something changes (e.g. state of charge) and the system I have polls for those updates every 2 or 3 minutes. If it were a gradual decrease, I'd see it. For example, this is the history for last night when the car was plugged in. I definitely wasn't up between 00:30 and 04:30 refreshing anything whilst it charged. :)

Screenshot_20220811-080426.png

To that point, the charge looks entirely normal and the range was showing this morning as 193 miles, which is what I'd expect for 80%. As mentioned, I intend to be doing a bit of driving around tomorrow and have a charge to 100%, so I'll watch that closely.
AlistairL

Post by AlistairL »

slug56 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:21 am
AlistairL wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:38 am The jump is interesting - have you worked out what the effective kWh drain was ?
Morning. The drop would equate to between 9-10kWh I think.

<clipped>
Morning!

I don't have anything useful to contribute other than pondering the thermodynamics - I would imagine getting rid of 10kWh would generate a bit of heat ! :)
ID.3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White & East Derry Wheels
Ordered 17th March 2022
Build Week 10
Collected from Western Volkswagen Fort Kinnaird on 01 April 2023
baguette

Post by baguette »

slug56 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:21 am It's definitely not this. The car sends an update to VW's servers any time something changes (e.g. state of charge) and the system I have polls for those updates every 2 or 3 minutes. If it were a gradual decrease, I'd see it.

While ideally true, I have found this not always to be the case. Sometimes the car seemingly randomly just doesn't bother reporting. I am using VWsFriend to store data from my car, and occasionally I do see sudden changes that in my case I know weren't actually sudden.

I echo AlistairL's remark about the thermodynamics of the situation. Energy can't just disappear; it has to go somewhere. A drop that rapid of that much battery capacity would result in some impressive event. Fireball? Wormhole? :lol:

There is something else happening here. Will be interesting to hear of your upcoming experiences.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

slug56 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:39 pm
G43FAN wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:25 pm and what did it say 'In-car'?
No errors or anything, just the battery percentage and range much lower than when it was left. I'm going to charge up to 80% tonight and keep an eye on it. On Friday I should be giving it a charge to 100%, so I suspect that could be quite telling if there is a battery issue.
I'd happily ignore all the apps and stats dragged from wherever, but it the car itself displayed the change that is very odd. As others have said that's a huge amount of power to dissappate somewhere.. the alternative would be that the car lost some battery cells, but if it's charged back up since that is not likely.
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

I'm a little late to the party, but thought I'd add my experience with this. I had a situation where the WeConnectID Integration for Home Assistant had an issue with pulling down the most recent information from the WeConnectID system

sdas.png

This probably isn't the best example because this was a configuration issue, but if there was any reason for why your car was communicating with WeConnectID or if the WeConnectID system was updating or if there was some communication issue with your Home Assistant server to the WeConnectID system you might get what appears to be a drop in SoC.
Tour 5 77kWh Pro S 204HP in Stone Washed Blue
Ordered October 2021
Build Started: Week 21 2022
Delivered: Week: Week 26 2022

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
slug56

Post by slug56 »

cornbutter wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:30 pm This probably isn't the best example because this was a configuration issue, but if there was any reason for why your car was communicating with WeConnectID or if the WeConnectID system was updating or if there was some communication issue with your Home Assistant server to the WeConnectID system you might get what appears to be a drop in SoC.
Yeah I've seen that before - most notably when my car went offline. But Home Assistant or WeConnect ID aside, the car was left on the drive at night and was directly reporting a drop in SoC in the following morning. Unless Mrs slug56 is disappearing in the night with it, I can't explain it.

I've charged to 100% a couple of times since it happened and everything seems normal. No other unaccounted drops in SoC nor range.