Charging very slow

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Stelvis95 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:21 pm
sidehaas wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:19 am
Stelvis95 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:06 am

I have tried all the things in your previous post and this has not resolved the issue, I have a Podpoint at home with my Ohme as the Podpoint came with my wifes Corsa E, which, does not have any charging issues and can charge at 7kw quite happily each and every time, so it is no doubt the car at fault.
So if you set a 'max charge' from the Ohme to your ID3 it only charges at 4kw? And if you do the same to your Corsa it charges at 7kw?
Yes this is correct but I I pause the charge and restart it, it will charge at 7kw. However, I don't want to have to wait until 00:30 every night to pause and restart a charge.
That's weird. It's obviously capable but has a different interface issue than others have seen if a 'max charge' doesn't work properly. I would get on to Ohme as well as VW - they can see what is happening via their system and are able to actually change the signals sent down the wire to the car so have a better chance of fixing it than VW unless you get lucky with a software update. But their prime solution for this problem is the CPWL profile.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Are you charging both cars at the same time and if so do they start together? (same time)
Assuming they are on independant feeds can you isolate one of the chargers and see what happens?
Have you tried supporting the cable (more of a DC charge fix but anythings worth a try I guess)
Stelvis95

Post by Stelvis95 »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:00 pm Are you charging both cars at the same time and if so do they start together? (same time)
Assuming they are on independant feeds can you isolate one of the chargers and see what happens?
Have you tried supporting the cable (more of a DC charge fix but anythings worth a try I guess)
Further to SideHaas point we are using thr CPWL profile. The chargers are rarely on at the same time but they are both capable of charging at full speed together. My previous ID3 was fine on the OHME but that did take priority over the Pod Point which would lose about 2kw over 4 hours together but that's all.

I have not tried the cable support but do know what you are referring too. The Ohme cable is fairly light weight but I will look at it as I'm open to any ideas!
ID.3 Max 58KWh Pro Performance 204PS Scale Silver (May 2022 v2.4)
Ohme Home charger.
Pod Point Solus 3
Dollop

Post by Dollop »

I get this with my EO charger, I wait until charging starts, it’s only 3.4 kwh I pause the charge and then restart it and it jumps to the full 7kwh.
It has to be the car that’s at fault, EO have been on to VW tech but I’m now really fed up with it. I was hoping that the software update to 3+ that I’m getting in a couple of weeks would solve it. Doesn’t look like it will though, come on VW DO SOMETHING
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Dollop wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:12 pm I get this with my EO charger, I wait until charging starts, it’s only 3.4 kwh I pause the charge and then restart it and it jumps to the full 7kwh.
It has to be the car that’s at fault, EO have been on to VW tech but I’m now really fed up with it. I was hoping that the software update to 3+ that I’m getting in a couple of weeks would solve it. Doesn’t look like it will though, come on VW DO SOMETHING
Ohme fixed this issue. Suggest you get on to EO.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
mjdudders

Post by mjdudders »

Hello my wife has an id3 pro 72 plate.. when we first brought the car it would charge perfectly but the last few months it charges as slow as 1kw an hour.. I have a model 3 which charges at just over 7kw every hour without any issues yet the id3 doesn't charge properly.. it's currently in the garage but they can't find anything wrong with it yet it doesn't charge.. it's a project ev charger..anyone have any advice or experienced similar
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

mjdudders wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:37 pm Hello my wife has an id3 pro 72 plate.. when we first brought the car it would charge perfectly but the last few months it charges as slow as 1kw an hour.. I have a model 3 which charges at just over 7kw every hour without any issues yet the id3 doesn't charge properly.. it's currently in the garage but they can't find anything wrong with it yet it doesn't charge.. it's a project ev charger..anyone have any advice or experienced similar
If 1-2kw, most commonly there is either a bit of grit/dust in the port or you have the reduced AC charging current option selected.
mjdudders

Post by mjdudders »

I definitely don't have reduced AC charging current selected as it charges properly maybe once in 4.. the port, cable, and charger are all in perfect working order.. like I previously said my Tesla for the last 8 charges has charged at over 7 KW an hour at 100 efficiency. The id3 has charged in the last 10 charges only 3 times normally and 7 times at between 1kw and 4.2kw.. The wall charger has been inspected and is working which would back up the fact my Tesla charges every time yet for some reason the id3 doesn't.. obviously this is rather annoying as with a newborn my wife needs to get about and can't sometimes because her car decides not to charge up over night
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

mjdudders wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:24 am I definitely don't have reduced AC charging current selected as it charges properly maybe once in 4.. the port, cable, and charger are all in perfect working order.. like I previously said my Tesla for the last 8 charges has charged at over 7 KW an hour at 100 efficiency. The id3 has charged in the last 10 charges only 3 times normally and 7 times at between 1kw and 4.2kw.. The wall charger has been inspected and is working which would back up the fact my Tesla charges every time yet for some reason the id3 doesn't.. obviously this is rather annoying as with a newborn my wife needs to get about and can't sometimes because her car decides not to charge up over night
Ref reduced charging, have you checked both your location-specific settings and the general settings? Worth checking.
Grit or dust in the ID3 port obviously wouldn't affect the Tesla. But if this is the cause it usually throws up an emergency charging message or similar, so would be obvious.
The other possibility is it's an incompatibility in the interface between charger and car. When this has occurred in the past it has had to be solved by the charger supplier if you want to schedule via the charger. (Makes no difference if you have another car that is working, that obviously has slightly different expectations about the signals it receives from the charger). If you can schedule the ID3 charging via the car and put the charger in dumb (always on) mode with no smart functions, that should also solve any interface issues.
Good luck.
mjdudders

Post by mjdudders »

Screenshot_20240322-153424.png

Thanks for your reply the car went into VW and it charged at 4kw whilst in there but VW have said that's within tolerance and that there is nothing else they will do.. I have a written letter from vwfs saying so in black and white which has really angered me
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

mjdudders wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:34 pm Screenshot_20240322-153424.png Thanks for your reply the car went into VW and it charged at 4kw whilst in there but VW have said that's within tolerance and that there is nothing else they will do.. I have a written letter from vwfs saying so in black and white which has really angered me
Presumably this is AC charging so a rate of 4kw is less than 40% of the advertised 11kw?
And VW are saying that's 'within tolerance'?
Absolute charlatans - no wonder you are angry.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Sherlock wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:11 pm
mjdudders wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:34 pm Screenshot_20240322-153424.png Thanks for your reply the car went into VW and it charged at 4kw whilst in there but VW have said that's within tolerance and that there is nothing else they will do.. I have a written letter from vwfs saying so in black and white which has really angered me
Presumably this is AC charging so a rate of 4kw is less than 40% of the advertised 11kw?
11kw is three phase only. Ironically I wouldn't be surprised if it'll charge happily at 11kw on the right charger, as that is only 16A. It's more likely to be a current limit.
4kw ish is almost certainly the car limiting itself to 16A rather than to 32A (required for 7-8kw on single phase). It does this sometimes if it thinks it has detected a fault in the charger/cable, that's what causes people to see this reduced charge rate if there is a problem with the interface when scheduling via a charger. As to what could cause the car to limit itself to 16A permanently though I have no idea.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:58 pm
11kw is three phase only. Ironically I wouldn't be surprised if it'll charge happily at 11kw on the right charger, as that is only 16A. It's more likely to be a current limit.
4kw ish is almost certainly the car limiting itself to 16A rather than to 32A (required for 7-8kw on single phase). It does this sometimes if it thinks it has detected a fault in the charger/cable, that's what causes people to see this reduced charge rate if there is a problem with the interface when scheduling via a charger. As to what could cause the car to limit itself to 16A permanently though I have no idea.
OK my mistake re 11kw, but even so 4kw versus 7-8kw surely can't fairly be claimed by VW to be 'within tolerance'??
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Sherlock wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:43 pm
sidehaas wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:58 pm

OK my mistake re 11kw, but even so 4kw versus 7-8kw surely can't fairly be claimed by VW to be 'within tolerance'??
I agree. If I were the poster, if possible I would take it to a different dealer.
mjdudders

Post by mjdudders »

So with regards to the 4kw because of charger or cable issues the same cable and charger charges my Tesla perfectly well at over 7kw everytime..
As for taking it to a second dealer this was my second dealer but the first one couldn't find an issue the second dealer charged it at 4kw and said it's within tolerance..
I complained to VWFS who said that they have no reason to uphold my complaint as 4kw is within tolerance..
It's really disappointing as I have showed vw proof that the charger, cable is working even had an electrician check the charger and confirm it's working showed them graphs of my Tesla charging at 100% efficiency and at over 7kw yet they are having none of it.. it's a shame as I'm losing £1000's selling my wife's id3 now as the price has crashed and my local dealer will only give me £17k for a car I paid £28500 just 8 months ago