Charging very slow

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Geee

Post by Geee »

My home charger that normally operates at approx 7kWh, is only operating at about 2kWh so its charging at a rate of just 7mph
I have tried switching the charger off and on, but that makes no difference - Could it be a setting in the car that I have inadvertently changed?
Thanks

gailjon

Post by gailjon »

You could make sure that the 'reduced AC charging' setting has not been activated.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Geee wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:44 pm My home charger that normally operates at approx 7kWh, is only operating at about 2kWh so its charging at a rate of just 7mph
I have tried switching the charger off and on, but that makes no difference - Could it be a setting in the car that I have inadvertently changed?
Thanks
What sofware version, have you got any schedules set up in the car?
It could be the Reduced charging setting in car.
You've restarted the charger but have you disconnected from the car and reseated the plug?
Mikee

Post by Mikee »

What brand of home charger do you have? My Ohme charger refuses to charge the car higher than 3.5kWh, seems to be the fun with v3.0 cars
Family Pro - Kings Red - Sport Suspension - Alloys - Heat Pump
ajf

Post by ajf »

gailjon wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:56 am You could make sure that the 'reduced AC charging' setting has not been activated.
I would absolutely say this is the reason.... as it happened to me.
iD3 Tour Pro (77kW) in white
Ordered Aug 2021, initially due Jan 2022, arrived 31 May 2022
Geee

Post by Geee »

Thanks very much for your comments - much appreciated. You are all 100% correct - I had inadvertently activated the AC charging setting. Now works great
Thanks so much
Stelvis95

Post by Stelvis95 »

Mikee wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:54 am What brand of home charger do you have? My Ohme charger refuses to charge the car higher than 3.5kWh, seems to be the fun with v3.0 cars
Hi Mikee
I currently have this issue running 2.4 on my Ohme. Car has been in workshop for two days and they have reset a number of control units and software but it has not resolved the issue. I don't think VW UK have any idea but the dealer has been great trying to get to the bottom of it!
ID.3 Max 58KWh Pro Performance 204PS Scale Silver (May 2022 v2.4)
Ohme Home charger.
Pod Point Solus 3
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

Stelvis95 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:03 pm
Mikee wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:54 am What brand of home charger do you have? My Ohme charger refuses to charge the car higher than 3.5kWh, seems to be the fun with v3.0 cars
Hi Mikee
I currently have this issue running 2.4 on my Ohme. Car has been in workshop for two days and they have reset a number of control units and software but it has not resolved the issue. I don't think VW UK have any idea but the dealer has been great trying to get to the bottom of it!
same here with the Ohme but its so random - one night fine - one night you get the message on the app 'you car is charging slowly' - it only seemed to happen to me after VW opened their API thing with Ohme - i've been onto Ohme and they are as non plussed about it and in many ways not interested - its not a mega hassle for us but i could imagine it is if you are counting on the charge and its interesting if you manually start charging you seem to always get full 7-8kWh
Mikee

Post by Mikee »

billybobb2019 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:54 am
Stelvis95 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:03 pm
Hi Mikee
same here with the Ohme but its so random - one night fine - one night you get the message on the app 'you car is charging slowly' - it only seemed to happen to me after VW opened their API thing with Ohme - i've been onto Ohme and they are as non plussed about it and in many ways not interested - its not a mega hassle for us but i could imagine it is if you are counting on the charge and its interesting if you manually start charging you seem to always get full 7-8kWh
Nothing works with the v3.0 software on my car. It's only been a month but I'm very close to replacing it already as I have to charge the car four nights a week to keep up with my mileage.
Family Pro - Kings Red - Sport Suspension - Alloys - Heat Pump
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Here are some options for you all to try. Mine is on 2.4 but I spent quite a while understanding ID3 and Ohme Home Pro interface problems.

Firstly does the charger work at 7-8kw when you do a 'max charge'? If not there is likely a problem with the charger. Try resetting it (hold down all three buttons on the front) and make sure 32A is selected. It's also worth trying disabling load following briefly via this method if you aren't running other loads at the time. If it then works with load following disabled but not without, that means your CT clamp has been installed already and you need to get your installer back round. This happened to me.
If none of the above helps or if you already have the charger working fine with another car, read on. The issue is usually with the interface between the charger and car, the car not liking the way the charger schedules the charge, rather than a fault with the car per se (I assume it charges ok on a public 7kw charger - if not see your dealer).

I think Mikee said he'd already tried this, but the rest of you should all try removing your car from the Ohme app and readding it using the ID3 CPWL profile. Don't add your weconnectID password to connect the API.
Otherwise just make sure you have no charging locations or settings in the car at all except for the charge limit. If you have, they will interfere with the charger schedule. Doing all this fixed the problems with 2.3.

If you are awake at the time, something else that works if it is charging slow is to stop and restart the charge from the weconnectID app. Usually it will then restart at full power.

Failing all that, you could try using the car's charge scheduling instead of the Ohme's, since apparently that works with 3.0. Although not the design intent, it is possible to put the Ohme in a 'dumb charger' mode that will accept charge whenever demanded by the car. To do this, make sure it is not connected to your car's API. Start a 'max charge' from the Ohme (which should work at 7kw if the charger is ok) then stop it from the car or weconnectID app. You can then control it completely from the car/app. So, you should then be able to initiate a charge schedule set by the car. However, I haven't tried this myself because on car scheduling doesn't work with 2.x.
Good luck! Please let everyone know how you get on in case more of us have a new issue when our cars are updated!
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:00 am
If you are awake at the time, something else that works if it is charging slow is to stop and restart the charge from the weconnectID app. Usually it will then restart at full power.

Just for info I have also found pausing and resuming the charge within the Ohme app works as well to get to charge at full rate.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
Stelvis95

Post by Stelvis95 »

As an update to the slow charging issue, mine has spent a couple of days with the service partner. They referred to VW technical and reset a number of systems and control units. Sadly it has not worked and I still have a slow charging issue.

Oddly VW UK denied there was a slow charging issue with the ID3 and that the scheduled charging in the car should work after 2.4, which of course it does not!

I should say the service partner have been great trying to figure it out so far.

ID.3 Max 58KWh Pro Performance 204PS Scale Silver (May 2022)
Ohme Home charger.
Ohme Home charger.
Pod Point Solus 3
DickieBoy

Post by DickieBoy »

Stelvis95 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:26 pm As an update to the slow charging issue, mine has spent a couple of days with the service partner. They referred to VW technical and reset a number of systems and control units. Sadly it has not worked and I still have a slow charging issue.

Oddly VW UK denied there was a slow charging issue with the ID3 and that the scheduled charging in the car should work after 2.4, which of course it does not!

I should say the service partner have been great trying to figure it out so far.

Ohme Home charger.
Do you get slow charging issues with other chargers or is it just your Ohme home charger?
Family Pro owner (Sept 22)
Stelvis95

Post by Stelvis95 »

DickieBoy wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:39 pm
Stelvis95 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:26 pm As an update to the slow charging issue, mine has spent a couple of days with the service partner. They referred to VW technical and reset a number of systems and control units. Sadly it has not worked and I still have a slow charging issue.

Ohme Home charger.
Do you get slow charging issues with other chargers or is it just your Ohme home charger?
Hi, I get slow charging on both the Ohme and Pod Point. It is definitely related to the car and not the chargers.
Ohme Home charger.
Pod Point Solus 3
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Stelvis95 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:06 pm

Ohme Home charger.
Hi, I get slow charging on both the Ohme and Pod Point. It is definitely related to the car and not the chargers.
Podpoint solos commonly have interface issues with ID3s similar to Ohmes it seems, and Podpoint public chargers are not exactly reliable either (I'm not sure which you mean? But having had a 4kw charge on a podpoint to go with your Ohme issues is definitely not proof your car is faulty.) I would strongly recommend trying the things I suggested, they aren't much effort and might fix your problem.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

sidehaas wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:04 pm

Podpoint solos commonly have interface issues with ID3s similar to Ohmes it seems, and Podpoint public chargers are not exactly reliable either (I'm not sure which you mean? But having had a 4kw charge on a podpoint to go with your Ohme issues is definitely not proof your car is faulty.) I would strongly recommend trying the things I suggested, they aren't much effort and might fix your problem.
Ive had a Podpoint for 2 years and whilst i had my id3 i never once had an issue with slow charging
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:43 am

Ive had a Podpoint for 2 years and whilst i had my id3 i never once had an issue with slow charging
Yet some people have. Same with Ohme. Those are the two brands you see the most people complaining of this issue with but occasionally others too.
Stelvis95

Post by Stelvis95 »

I have tried all the things in your previous post and this has not resolved the issue, I have a Podpoint at home with my Ohme as the Podpoint came with my wifes Corsa E, which, does not have any charging issues and can charge at 7kw quite happily each and every time, so it is no doubt the car at fault.
Ohme Home charger.
Pod Point Solus 3
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Stelvis95 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:06 am

I have tried all the things in your previous post and this has not resolved the issue, I have a Podpoint at home with my Ohme as the Podpoint came with my wifes Corsa E, which, does not have any charging issues and can charge at 7kw quite happily each and every time, so it is no doubt the car at fault.
So if you set a 'max charge' from the Ohme to your ID3 it only charges at 4kw? And if you do the same to your Corsa it charges at 7kw?
Stelvis95

Post by Stelvis95 »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:19 am
Stelvis95 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:06 am
So if you set a 'max charge' from the Ohme to your ID3 it only charges at 4kw? And if you do the same to your Corsa it charges at 7kw?
Yes this is correct but I I pause the charge and restart it, it will charge at 7kw. However, I don't want to have to wait until 00:30 every night to pause and restart a charge.
Ohme Home charger.
Pod Point Solus 3