Wireless phone charger

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Purplemeanie

Post by Purplemeanie »

Just wondering if anyone knows if the wireless phone charger should work - in the centre console between the front seats.

I tried a bunch of different iPhones (in cases and without) but nothing seemed to happen.

The manual is typically vague, saying that this feature is included in some vehicle specs.

Car is UK 1st Edition.

thanks, John
ID3 1st Edition
Delivered 30/9/2020
www.purplemeanie.co.uk

Martin1668uk

Post by Martin1668uk »

Unfortunately the Uk cars do not have wireless phone charging
Purplemeanie

Post by Purplemeanie »

Hmm. Thanks for the response. That seems to be at odds with what the dealer is saying. After posting the question I got a response from Heritage Bristol to say that it will be enabled when the first software update comes out. So, we'll see.

John
ID3 1st Edition
Delivered 30/9/2020
www.purplemeanie.co.uk
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I have read that the UK 1st edition is what they’re selling on the continent as a “1st Plus”, which doesn’t have the wireless charger hardware. Only the “1st Max” does, which we don’t have the option of buying in the UK.
Purplemeanie

Post by Purplemeanie »

The whole thing is as clear as mud it seems. I’m clinging on to the fact that the car actually has the charging icon embossed in the plastic of the phone holder, and the manual gave me the impression that it would only have the embossing if the feature was installed. Let’s see what happens with the software update.

John
ID3 1st Edition
Delivered 30/9/2020
www.purplemeanie.co.uk
ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ »

I hope you are right but I fear that you are wrong. AFAIK the hardware is not present in UK cars. There was a VW UK press release about a week ago that said that the software update in Q1 2021 would enable wireless charging so I queried this with VW via the First Movers group. As a result they 'corrected' the press release to remove that statement... I'm pretty disappointed by this, and by the lack of speakers in the rear doors.
Jel

Post by Jel »

I have the Family model and the wireless charger works fine.
Chris_B

Post by Chris_B »

Just read the latest user guide which is now available after the software update 2021 : Wireless charger works for mobile devices with maximum dimensions width x length 80mm x 140 mm ! Quite annoying
Deadlysub

Post by Deadlysub »

Wireless charging works on the family addition
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Worked on both the life pro performances I tested. (iPhone 12)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Works on our Life and Family (Family is on 2.0).
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Of all the UK spec cars, only the 1st Edition does not have wireless phone charging.
Djl403

Post by Djl403 »

Does anyone else find it really heats up the phone? (Ipjonen12 max pro)
After an hour's journey, mine turned off due to heat!
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Djl403 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:21 pm Does anyone else find it really heats up the phone? (Ipjonen12 max pro)
After an hour's journey, mine turned off due to heat!
The overheating has been discussed here - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=703

Wireless charging generates heat anyway and if the phone is being used for CarPlay and music it will get hotter still.

In general however I have found that the level of charge provided is relatively tiny even when phone is not in use.
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

I have found putting the iPhone in with the speaker end facing the top of the opening helps dissipate some the heat that is created by the combination of wireless charging and wireless CarPlay. Still gets warm but stops it cutting out for me
ThinWhiteDuke

Post by ThinWhiteDuke »

Deadlysub wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:48 pm Wireless charging works on the family addition
I was surprised by this (well when a Qi charge icon on a notification popped up) as all the documentation for the Family Pro Performance didn’t make any mention of it at all.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance 58Kwh; Scale Silver
Kelloggs

Post by Kelloggs »

Works on my life pro as well. I just keep forgetting to take the phone with me when I leave the car😊
id3 life performance pro heat pump, turquoise,black.
share.octopus.energy/witty-hawk-404
Steve84

Post by Steve84 »

Samsung s9 keeps stopping charging and gets hot either in or out of case😭
JimG

Post by JimG »

Works great on my Tech model. On placing the phone in the rear section of the sloping storage area I get the message ‘mobile phone charging’ come up on the infotainment screen.