Is it me?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
PCR100

Post by PCR100 »

Had our new ID3 for just over a week. We are enjoying getting used to the new tech ... and putting up with a few glitches - patchy voice control, hit and miss navigation display on id3 light etc... but is it bugging anyone else that the strip on the centre screen with the temp and volume controls doesn’t light up? Effectively makes it invisible in the dark - just seems like a weird omission to me, but interested to know other owners thoughts.

Rhevian

Post by Rhevian »

I agree it seems like a poor design decision
Purplemeanie

Post by Purplemeanie »

Agreed. I thought it was a bug that it doesn’t light up, but on closer look it seems just not be illuminated.
ID3 1st Edition
Delivered 30/9/2020
www.purplemeanie.co.uk
snagglepuss

Post by snagglepuss »

The more I experience the iD3 the more I believe it was sadly 'rushed to market'
iD3 1st edition Plus 58kWh Glacier White Metallic - Black Roof
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I'm with you on this - volume isn't such an issue as you can use the steering wheel, but yes the strip should really be lit!
NorwichComputersAndy

Post by NorwichComputersAndy »

It is really bad - had my 1st for around three weeks and hadn’t even noticed it... there is even a power button for the infotainment 🤣 you are right though - should be illuminated. However think of the extra 3 miles per charge 😇
pdk42

Post by pdk42 »

I think it's fair to say that the ID.3, being their first ground-up EV design, will have some gremlins and sub-optimal design points. I'm sure the LCI will fix a lot of the issues. But that's probably 3 years away. In the meantime, so long as they fix the bugs then I'll be more than happy with the car as it is. What's a missing illuminated light between friends? :)
Deleted User 192

The lack of illumination of the volume and heat strip isn’t just the ID3 by the way, it’s exactly the same in the new Golf - I was loaned one while my car was at the workshop.

I’m now used to using the steering wheel controls for volume, meaning I only have to use that strip at the sides to do the heating which is less of a fumble in the dark at least.
NorwichComputersAndy

Post by NorwichComputersAndy »

pdk42 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:22 pm I think it's fair to say that the ID.3, being their first ground-up EV design, will have some gremlins and sub-optimal design points. I'm sure the LCI will fix a lot of the issues. But that's probably 3 years away. In the meantime, so long as they fix the bugs then I'll be more than happy with the car as it is. What's a missing illuminated light between friends? :)
3 years when the ID3-R is released 😋
Coopear

Post by Coopear »

The volume slider being dark doesn’t bother me because you don’t have to touch it in a particular place it’s just whether you move your finger left or right to reduce or increase the volume....as it’s relatively large and central I find it easy to locate.

The heating sliders are a little trickier to locate in the dark though! However I’ve bigger gripes with the ventilation: mine every now and then switches the aircon on and turns the fans on three quarters blast so haven’t had much time to adjust the temperature :)
NeilDA

Post by NeilDA »

I have had our ID.3 for exactly a month and while I appreciate that I was well aware that there was to be a large software patch I don't think there was ready for the hardware design shortcomings of this car. The unlit infotainment screen panel is such a basic omission from a legacy car maker, after all they've designed cars before and put lights in switches before, why are they allowed to sell something (remember in no way can this be described as a cheap car!) that has such glaring issues. VW also decided not to include a jack and wheel brace because they fitted self sealing tyres, well that didn't help me in the slightest when I came out one morning to a flat tyre and no way to get it off to take it to a tyre shop. Very, very frustrating!

VW can be forgiven for some issues, after all they have designed a software focused EV from the ground up, but the most basic of things such as lighting a switch or touch panel at night is what they've been doing for years and years.
Deleted User 192

As I mentioned above the unlit strip is the same in the latest Golf - so it's not an ID3-specific thing, I agree it should be lit (in both models)