Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

In the infotainment system:

Settings
System information
Software

Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

Hi @JulianM - go to settings and choose ‘System information’ - that then shows you the software and hardware versions. Mine is still on 0564
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Mine too is 0564 - despite the dealer stating it was running the latest release. In fairness, may be they are only installing later versions on demand.

A
ID.3 1st Edition
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I understand 0570 is a patch which is only being installed on vehicles suffering from specific faults
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

Car has now been with the dealers for four days. First software upgrade didn't seem to work so VW have sent an SD card!!! Not so much Over The Air as Through The Post ;) My vain hope is that this might be the full upgrade??? We'll wait and see :lol:
NorwichComputersAndy

Post by NorwichComputersAndy »

I too have had the airbag warning for a few days however never have I cared so little - love the car and appreciate that the car was rushed - they will make it right 👍

Reeeeeeeally missing car play! However I will also really miss the dash lights with turn animations - #firstworldproblems 😂
F11_MWG

Post by F11_MWG »

NorwichComputersAndy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:58 pm I too have had the airbag warning for a few days however never have I cared so little - love the car and appreciate that the car was rushed - they will make it right 👍

Reeeeeeeally missing car play! However I will also really miss the dash lights with turn animations - #firstworldproblems 😂
My airbag light came on today but went off again soon after, like you, I can't be bothered to take it back. Volkswagen will sort with the update I'm sure, so for now I will just enjoy it and suffer the lack of carplay :-(
NorwichComputersAndy

Ah I caved. My airbag light stayed on for a week. Tried a few things found online including pulling 12v battery with no joy.

I took it to the dealer and they have tried reprogramming the airbag module in the roof however it wasn’t successful. ( or they bricked it!!)

New module being fitted tomorrow so fingers crossed 🤞
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

OK - so VW had the car for four days to update the software to 0570 and yesterday the alarm went off - obviously their bug fix didn't catch that one... I suppose I'll have to hand the car in for another week. Maybe get the promised major upgrade???
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Does anyone know why it takes four days to do a software update? Are they using paper tape and a teletype connected over a serial port? ;)

I hope the over-the-air software update feature due soon doesn’t immobilise my car for four days when it does an upgrade!
NorwichComputersAndy

hwhbev wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:09 am Does anyone know why it takes four days to do a software update? Are they using paper tape and a teletype connected over a serial port? ;)

I hope the over-the-air software update feature due soon doesn’t immobilise my car for four days when it does an upgrade!
I fear it is a combination of lack of patches, incompatibility and also lack of training.

VW should have put a good number of techs on a course by now however Norwich were a little concerned as apparently other than PDI work, mine was the first they had worked on with a fault!

My dealer was going to replace my airbag unit in the roof (apparently they reprogrammed but it took 4 attempts due to incompatible modules and failures.

Apparently the reason it took so long was because after they apply the update they have to leave it to enter canbus discharge state (this is around 20 minutes). This is where a lot of people are having errors flag and then they are gone when returning to the car. At that point they can retest and if not successful- do it all again.

VW Norwich were very good and got the problem sorted - they however also had to update other modules and the main software revision because of the more modern SW revision on the airbag unit. This also meant that the above process had to be performed for every module - and there are a lot!

I can appreciate from my IT background that this can happen however I would have thought VW would have a bypass of the “lock and wait 20 minutes” and also be able to make bigger more inclusive patches.

I would imagine that the OTA updates will just be tweaks for the smaller modules. I would have thought that larger full system patches will be performed in the garage. (All very similar to an operating system on a desktop/laptop/phone etc.

This style of EV is still new - they are learning and I know it is not exactly the cheapest new car I have ever purchased I really do think it is the bast - by far. I have also had other cars (Mercedes GLA in particular) which spent a good 4 months of my ownership in the garage due to sensor, injector and various engine malfunctions.