Alarm goes off at random

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Jel wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:42 pm The alarm on mine sometimes goes off when I get close to the car. Its happened 3 times over the last 3 months of so.

Used to happen sometimes with mine, when the car woke up. Reported it to my dealer when was going in for updates, never happened since.

BobbyG

Post by BobbyG »

Happened to me last night with my month old ID.3. Alarm went off four times in the night. In desperation and bleary eyed, I consulted this very helpful forum for ideas. Thanks for the tip on interior monitoring. I eventually found the culprit was a moth fluttering around inside the car, activating the obviously sensitive interior monitoring. Squashing the moth and turning off interior monitoring (on Goodbye screen) seems to have done the trick. At least for last night….
King

Post by King »

Just to add to the alarm story: mine went off at 5:00am today with the alarm turned off but with it plugged into the charge point. I can find no evidence of moths, cats or even foxes. Used the remote key-fob from inside the house to OPEN and it stops the alarm. How annoying!
Stonewashed Blue - Life Pro Performance.
September 2021
Solwayboy

Post by Solwayboy »

Try closing all vents. When it’s gusty open vents will set off the alarm!
King

Post by King »

I have tried turning the alarm off using the option on the GOODBY screen but it doesn’t seem to work - little red lights still blinks and the alarm still comes on at random times. Today I’m trying the double click on the lock-door from the key-fob. This obviously can’t be a permanent solution as it would indicate that the car wasn’t alarmed.
I expect the key-fob is explained somewhere in the owners manual but I haven’t found it yet.
September 2021
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

King wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:50 pm I have tried turning the alarm off using the option on the GOODBY screen but it doesn’t seem to work - little red lights still blinks and the alarm still comes on at random times. Today I’m trying the double click on the lock-door from the key-fob. This obviously can’t be a permanent solution as it would indicate that the car wasn’t alarmed.
I expect the key-fob is explained somewhere in the owners manual but I haven’t found it yet.

The option for “interior monitoring”?

That’s part of the alarm system, but not all of it.

The most common cause is the boot not being closed properly, if I was certain it wasn’t that I would be reporting it to my dealer.
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Happened to me once, it was the boot.
King

Post by King »

It seems the boot is the answer; I have an EOS and it is recommended not to slam the boot so I’m gentle with me boot.
Today I took a look at the passenger door and there is a little white round piece of plastic which can be turned with a screwdriver. It will turn easily but I could ascertain what it does. I was lead to believe this might disarm the alarm but the little red lights still flash. Comments welcome.
September 2021
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

King wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:41 pm Today I took a look at the passenger door and there is a little white round piece of plastic which can be turned with a screwdriver. It will turn easily but I could ascertain what it does. I was lead to believe this might disarm the alarm but the little red lights still flash. Comments welcome.

I can't say for certain as I haven't had my vehicle delivered yet, but I'd expect this is to child lock the door so the door can't be opened from the inside and if so it'll have nothing to do with the alarm. The ID.3 has ISOFIX fixings on the passenger seat, so it would make sense to me to be able to child-proof the front door in a similar manner as the rear doors.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
King

Post by King »

Utumno
You’re probably correct. I still can find a way of dis-arming the car. If you travel across the channel you are requested to turn off the alarm on the ferry. The GOODBYE screen option doesn’t do it and I read somewhere that there was a key option in the passenger door. On my EOS there is a switch below the door pull !
September 2021
Parkie

Post by Parkie »

King wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:03 am Just to add to the alarm story: mine went off at 5:00am today with the alarm turned off but with it plugged into the charge point. I can find no evidence of moths, cats or even foxes. Used the remote key-fob from inside the house to OPEN and it stops the alarm. How annoying!

Our car alarm goes off when our home charger deactivates. This has happended three times now at 5am. As a temporary fix I will set the charger to deactivate at 8am so at least we won't wake ourselves or the neighbours in the middle of the night. We will also try turning off the interior monitoring.
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Parkie wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:22 pm
King wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:03 am Just to add to the alarm story: mine went off at 5:00am today with the alarm turned off but with it plugged into the charge point. I can find no evidence of moths, cats or even foxes. Used the remote key-fob from inside the house to OPEN and it stops the alarm. How annoying!

Our car alarm goes off when our home charger deactivates. This has happended three times now at 5am. As a temporary fix I will set the charger to deactivate at 8am so at least we won't wake ourselves or the neighbours in the middle of the night. We will also try turning off the interior monitoring.
We've also had a couple of alarm activations overnight recently. I'm fairly sure that both were at 4.30am, which is when our charger deactivates. On both occasions it turned out that I hadn't closed the boot properly, but it does seem that the charger deactivation is triggering something.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
VWID3-1st

Post by VWID3-1st »

Could anyone please let me know if they manage to fix their alarm issue?? Mine goes off every morning, I have tried closing the boot and door properly, disabling the interior alarm still it goes off every morning ,sometimes in the middle of the night too 😡, car software is up to date, I have booked the vehicle with VW but just wondering if anyone has any temporary fix? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by VWID3-1st on Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VW ID.3 1st Edition, Makena Turquoise, ID Software:
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Is it whilst you’re charging it? Or have ended a charge?
VWID3-1st

Post by VWID3-1st »

MotMot wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:07 pm Is it whilst you’re charging it? Or have ended a charge?
It's neither, it happens when the vehicle is parked.
VW ID.3 1st Edition, Makena Turquoise, ID Software:
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

I've had it only once, turned out to be the boot not being closed properly. Boot gets a firm closing since.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
The_Navigator

Post by The_Navigator »

Hi. We have had our ID.3 Family for seven days now. Almost every day the alarm has gone off at random. And twice in the middle of the night. It is parked on the street in front of our building. Whilst I thought this might be connected to the start of heavy rains (not good, but sort of explicable), the latest incident has occurred on a dry afternoon. The boot and the doors are closed/locked properly. Do I need to take the car to a VW dealer, or is there a simple solution I can make myself? From the various messages on this thread, it's not clear to me what self-help options I may have.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’d take it to the dealer. On the off chance do you have anything plugged into the OBD socket or any of the USBs?

(If I leave my OBD dongle plugged in it often sets off the alarm).
davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

The_Navigator wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:09 pm From the various messages on this thread, it's not clear to me what self-help options I may have.
On the goodbye screen, when you've set it to Neutral/Park, one of the settings (the bottom one) is 'interior monitoring' - disable that.
When disabled, the alarm isn't checking inside the car when you lock it. Leave if disabled overnight or preferably longer...
  • If the alarm doesn't go off, it is something inside the car that is triggering the alarm - or a faulty interior sensor
  • If the alarm continues to go off, it's nothing to do with the interior of the car and is something to do with an external sensor (possibly faulty)
71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
steve

Post by steve »

We've also had a couple of alarm activations overnight recently. I'm fairly sure that both were at 4.30am, which is when our charger deactivates. On both occasions it turned out that I hadn't closed the boot properly, but it does seem that the charger deactivation is triggering something.
The only time this has happened to us it was because the boot was not properly closed, and the alarm triggered when charging started. Until then I didn't know it had an alarm, so annoying but educational.