Satnav and road sign assist freezing

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
M100

Post by M100 »

We have had our id3 for just over 3 weeks of which 10 days or so have been spent at the garage trying to fix software. Our satnav froze completely upon entering a large city, then the SOS warning came on and then the dynamic road sign assist froze. After a week they have done a software update but testing it today the satnav still froze 3 times over a 30 mile journey into the city but came back again each time. The road sign assist also froze for a while then returned. Has anyone else had this problem? At least the SOS warning light hasn’t come on again - yet. Back to the service centre again I fear.

M100

Post by M100 »

Sadly spoke too soon. On the return journey the satnav froze permanently, the SOS sign warning light came on and the dynamic road assist froze. So the software update achieved nothing.
DAN142

Post by DAN142 »

I have had the same problem. The freezing of the satnav only seems to happen after the SOS warning. The car spent a day with the dealer having the software reinstalled, but it is still happening
snagglepuss

Post by snagglepuss »

I honestly don't know why we put up with this.
We were lead to believe the software update in January 2021 was to include functions that were missing, and not that the remaining functions in the meantime would have many gliches. I have no confidence in the reliability of the iD3 as practically every day when I wake up I think what'll go wrong today.
I will be ditching it in favour of a competing brand in the new year. Life is too short!
iD3 1st edition Plus 58kWh Glacier White Metallic - Black Roof
M100

Post by M100 »

The car is going in again this week. In the meantime I have noticed that the e-sim signal disappears when this happens and that may be the fault. Fingers crossed they can sort it.
dem-id3

Post by dem-id3 »

I am having the same issue, the dealership has not got back to me.
Has anyone tried asking VW Germany regarding this issue, look defiantly like a software issue.
markmartynski

Post by markmartynski »

I am having exactly the same issue with the Sat Nav freezing and the SOS light coming on. Also;
1. Charging lead keeps getting stuck, unable to release
2. Tried to 'fast' charge twice - neither was fast in any way - the best we have got so far is about 2.5 estimate hours to charge to 80%, without fast charging which really means fast charging the car is pretty useless.
2. Heating to steering wheel has a mind of its own - it won't turn on via the screen and comes on by itself at random times.
3. Auto hold function occasionally goes off and have to re-set it via the screen.
4. Fairly unreliable milage estimates - need to take off at least 20 miles from what the car says the battery has in it.
NeilDA

Post by NeilDA »

After 7 days of ownership and just a couple of hundred miles on the clock this evening our ID.3 suffered the first of what will probably many issues with the appearance of a 'SOS, Please Visit Workshop' message on the driver's display. After digging into the menu system I discovered it seemed to be reporting a 'Dynamic Road Sign Assist' error. Tomorrow there will be a call put in to VW at Watford to see what they say (not holding my breath for a permanent fix though!)

Additionally, at first I hadn't thought it was an error but more likely finger trouble from my end, but I have noticed like some others have mentioned that the 'Auto Hold' function switches itself off.

I also note that the buttons on the central display are not lit at night and I had to revert to my phone's light in order to select the correct area to touch. Hopefully the hardware is there to physically light it, but just not currently enabled in the software, therefore fixable in a future software patch.

Are the guys at VW reading these messages from their early adopters? I do hope so, Tesla would be monitoring each and every issue and working to resolve them ASAP.

Also, do any other UK First Movers feel a tiny bit aggrieved that a panoramic sunroof and heads-up display is standard on a European ID.3 1st Edition.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

The sliders under the screen for volume and temperature are not lit, but the buttons such as Mode and Clima are - hopefully you meant the sliders. Volume isn’t an issue as the steering wheel has that too, making it easier to do the temperature as you just aim for the sides of the slider strip, hopefully you knew you can swipe your finger on those controls (hence why I call them sliders).

The sunroof and HUD are on the 1st Max edition but not the 1st Plus edition, so they’re not “standard” as the Max costs more than a Plus - but that was never an option for the UK as we only got 1st Plus cars, the 1st Max was never available to us. This was a business rather than technical decision though, as the 1st Max is available in other right-hand drive countries such as Ireland.

My Auto Hold has switched itself off once so far, otherwise it has worked as expected.
Purplemeanie

Post by Purplemeanie »

I was told by my dealer that the reason the UK got 1st Max was to keep the sale price below the government grant threshold. i.e. VW weren't prepared to throw in the sunroof and HUD, etc for 1st buyers in the UK and keep the price below the £40k-ish of the grant level. I've no idea if this is the real reason, but that's what he told me.

John
ID3 1st Edition
Delivered 30/9/2020
www.purplemeanie.co.uk
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

We got 1st Plus here, not 1st Max.

That reasoning makes sense, whether true or not :-)