Theories about 12V battery drain

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Rhevian

Post by Rhevian »

There has been a lot of discussion in the Facebook "First Movers" group about what can cause the 12V battery to run down, and people have been doing several tests.

The main theories at the moment are:

1) When you stop the car, put it in Park, unplug the driver's seatbelt, and get out, the car will automatically start the shutdown process: but sometimes if you press the brake pedal, or the stop/start switch, or get back in the car (there's a sensor in the drivers seat) in the few seconds after it starts the auto-shutdown, this will confuse the software and not everything gets shut down.

2) Leaving the car plugged in to an AC charger, while it is not actually charging, may also cause some drain on the 12V battery

3) Keeping the key fob within around 2m of the car can also lead to some drain on the battery

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Thanks, I've heard about 2 and 3
talaipwros

Post by talaipwros »

Hello, another victim of drained battery here, just 2 days after I purchased the car.
So what do we do, get a new battery?
Deleted User 192

talaipwros wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:29 am Hello, another victim of drained battery here, just 2 days after I purchased the car.

Oh no, that’s a pain!

Call VW assistance if you haven’t already, get them to take your car to your dealer where they can investigate and get it functional.
talaipwros

Post by talaipwros »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:21 am
talaipwros wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:29 am Hello, another victim of drained battery here, just 2 days after I purchased the car.

Oh no, that’s a pain!

Call VW assistance if you haven’t already, get them to take your car to your dealer where they can investigate and get it functional.
thanks, I have called the dealer who asked me to take a photo of the actual warning light, so he can contact service and take it from there.

Build quality problems affect the whole brand image. I got ID.3 for my wife, was considering a Taycan for myself

Well, not any more, not for the next few years at least
talaipwros

Post by talaipwros »

Booked service for tomorrow. They suggested that probably battery needs some charging...

Oh well, let's hope it really is something that simple.
talaipwros

Post by talaipwros »

oooookayyy

so, the garage I contacted called me and cancelled the slot cause they couldn't run diagnostics due to COVID

Called another garage, first slot in 2 weeks

called Roadside assistance that came, - nice guy, tried to help - didn't make it so they will take the car to a different garage tomorrow morning.

Good thing I didn't part exchange so I have a spare vehicle to do my chores
Deleted User 192

Wow, that’s poor! If I had had my car for two days and it failed like this I would be furious - “spare” car or otherwise...
talaipwros

Post by talaipwros »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:42 pm Wow, that’s poor! If I had had my car for two days and it failed like this I would be furious - “spare” car or otherwise...
I haven't driven it for more than 3 hours before the "please charge battery" sign appeared.
Which is good, cause that proves that the problem - that is not the empty battery but the lack of charging - existed when the vehicle was delivered new, so it is not a matter of warranty but a matter of being faulty under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

So i will give them the benefit of the doubt, but unless this problem is fixed in the next 28 days, I will ask for a refund
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

talaipwros wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:56 pm
scott28tt wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:42 pm Wow, that’s poor! If I had had my car for two days and it failed like this I would be furious - “spare” car or otherwise...
I haven't driven it for more than 3 hours before the "please charge battery" sign appeared.
Which is good, cause that proves that the problem - that is not the empty battery but the lack of charging - existed when the vehicle was delivered new, so it is not a matter of warranty but a matter of being faulty under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

So i will give them the benefit of the doubt, but unless this problem is fixed in the next 28 days, I will ask for a refund

I agree, and if VW are unable to resolve the 12 volt battery fault within a reasonable time, will be requesting a replacement ID.3, or a refund.
talaipwros

Post by talaipwros »

Stephen wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:13 pm
talaipwros wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:56 pm

I agree, and if VW are unable to resolve the 12 volt battery fault within a reasonable time, will be requesting a replacement ID.3, or a refund.
one needs to make sure and have all the evidence as CRA 2015 requires the vehicle to have default at delivery, rather than developing something later. Major fault at delivery, = Refund within 30 days. Major fault later, then it is a warranty issue, not a CRA2015 issue
roppenheimer

Post by roppenheimer »

There's an insideev YouTube video on this issue. Basically he jump started the 12v battery and then drove the car for a bit and it recharged the 12v battery