Report: Faulty Rain Sensor - visit to dealer with software update

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Purplemeanie

Post by Purplemeanie »

Hi all,
Just thought I’d let you know about my rain sensor experience. The intermittent wash/wipe had not worked since new. It would wipe once when put into that mode, and then wouldn’t wipe again until I moved the wash/wipe stick again.

The car went into the dealer on Monday and I got the car back today (Weds).

It turned out that the rain sensor is attached to the front windscreen with a bracket and a pad (I presume some sort of foam pad). The bracket had come lose from the windscreen and so the sensor wasn’t registering any rain.

The technician tried to fix the bracket but in the end decided it needed a new windscreen. That sounded a bit excessive but that’s what they’re going to do.

I have the car back now with the bracket temporarily fixed back onto the screen. I’m waiting for a screen to come into the dealer and they will then arrange for National Windscreens to replace the window - another, at least, all day visit to the dealer some time in the next week or so.

While the car was at the dealer they did a software update. It took the technician multiple hours (at least 4 hours yesterday and a couple of hours today) to get the software into the car. The service rep said that it had had a few updates but could only tell me about two (he didn’t know what others there were):
  • Airbag (apparently the fault log showed airbag errors, though I hadn’t seen any)
  • the 12V system on the car had been updated (he didn’t know if this was supposed to be any fix associated with 12v drain as reported by others).
None of the reported software versions in the System Information menu have changed. Software is still 0564, though I’m not too sure I’m looking the right place for anything that might have changed.

John
ID3 1st Edition
Delivered 30/9/2020
www.purplemeanie.co.uk

Rockonron

Post by Rockonron »

My wipers are doing the same thing, I had put it down to a bug and was just going to wait until the software update in January but now that you are saying it maybe a physical fault I may look at booking the car in with the garage.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Hopefully they can get you a screen quickly, I had to have mine replaced as it cracked after something struck it and the replacement took more than a week to be sourced.

My wipers have behaved fine before and since the new screen was fitted.

My car is back with VW tomorrow, partly to re-align the front camera now the screen has been replaced, and they have said they will be applying the software patch(es).