What’s Up with the charging speeds ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Jel
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:58 pm

Re: What’s Up with the charging speeds ?

Post by Jel » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:15 am

This article pretty much answers my question ( https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 093718.htm )

Cold battery temperature = Slower "Fast" and "Rapid" charging speeds

CarterHounslow
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:01 pm

Re: What’s Up with the charging speeds ?

Post by CarterHounslow » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:01 pm

Coopear wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:31 pm
Ok, I’m writing this while I sit plugged into an ionity rapid charger (capable of upto 350kW), charging at around 60kW. I thought I’d phone them up and ask why it wasn’t maxing out at 100kW...

Turns out there’s a few potential reasons. Optimum charging speed relies on several things:
- a battery <20% or >80% will be charged slower
- battery temperature. Ionity describe the optimum is to have been driving at highway speeds for 30 or 40 minutes prior to arriving at the charge point ensures battery is warm.
- external temperature, optimum is 15 to 25C

I missed all the above so maybe 60 isn’t too bad. I might try preconditioning the battery at home next time and see if it improves.
So I'm a little confused after reading this. I've only had the car two days and I thought I'd try out a couple of different chargers.

First time I'd been driving around 50-60mph for about 25 minutes, parked up using a 125kw charger (instavolt), 60% battery remaining. 14.5 degrees outside. Only got 31 kw/h charge.

Second time I had 70% remaining and went to a 22kw pod point at a tesco. Bit colder as it was late in the day (7 degrees outside) and I'd only driven two miles to get there, only got an 11 kw/h charge.

The instavolt one though is weird, it should not be that slow surely?

BrezzoK
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:32 am

Re: What’s Up with the charging speeds ?

Post by BrezzoK » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:40 pm

The tesco pod point is an AC charger isn't it? so the max the id3 can charge is 11kw/hr, don't know why you had problems with the instavolt.
Dec 2020 Pro Performance Business - White

CarterHounslow
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:01 pm

Re: What’s Up with the charging speeds ?

Post by CarterHounslow » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:32 pm

BrezzoK wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:40 pm
The tesco pod point is an AC charger isn't it? so the max the id3 can charge is 11kw/hr, don't know why you had problems with the instavolt.
Yes, after reading up you're right I will only get 11kw out of that.

I presume my battery just still wasn't hot enough to get a higher kw/hr from instavolt.

HeidiFlowerpt Driver
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:30 pm

Re: What’s Up with the charging speeds ?

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:16 pm

I think sometimes you don't get full speed out of rapid DC chargers because the chargers have grid load balancing circuitry, if the local grid is close to its limit the charger will dial down the charge rate so as not to overload the grid. My nearest rapid charger is Osprey, I've never seen that one give less than its stated capability. But another local charger, a BP Pulse unit in the middle of a housing estate, has charged my car considerably slower than its spec indicates.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot

Emanuel
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:16 am

Re: What’s Up with the charging speeds ?

Post by Emanuel » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:31 pm

Since this thread is still going and I haven't seen this posted yet, I think this graph can clear up a lot of confusion about speeds and when you can expect what charge rate:
https://cdn.motor1.com/images/custom/fa ... astned.png

That said, please do note that the graph is created under ideal conditions where it actually tops out at 100 kW. As has been mentioned multiple times, temperature can affect this on the car side and then there are a set of variables that can affect it on the charger side as well. Hope it helps!

CarterHounslow
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:01 pm

Re: What’s Up with the charging speeds ?

Post by CarterHounslow » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 am

Emanuel wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:31 pm
Since this thread is still going and I haven't seen this posted yet, I think this graph can clear up a lot of confusion about speeds and when you can expect what charge rate:
https://cdn.motor1.com/images/custom/fa ... astned.png

That said, please do note that the graph is created under ideal conditions where it actually tops out at 100 kW. As has been mentioned multiple times, temperature can affect this on the car side and then there are a set of variables that can affect it on the charger side as well. Hope it helps!
Thanks for posting that. Certainly makes sense, however doesn't quite correlate with how things are sold "rapid charging in an hour up to 80%." The way this reads, even in ideal conditions is, rapid charging until 50-60% and then semi rapid after that.

I'm going to try it out at my local place in different weather and states of charge to see what differences it makes.

scott28tt
Posts: 774
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:34 pm

Re: What’s Up with the charging speeds ?

Post by scott28tt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:18 am

CarterHounslow wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 am
"rapid charging in an hour up to 80%"

50kW is classed as rapid, I've done it many times and the slowdown beyond 80% isn't huge right up to 90% (the furthest I've taken it so far)
ID.3 1st Edition - Moonstone Grey

User avatar
Anduain
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:48 pm
Location: Barcelona
Contact:

Re: What’s Up with the charging speeds ?

Post by Anduain » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:04 pm

DC rapid charging for us has been great, the free 50kW chargers (that work) are extremely quick, typically around 45kW after a 15 minute drive.

As Scott says, we too have not really noticed much change from 80 to 90.

I have to say that with a rapid charger running it’s caught me out a couple of times and charged up to 100%, fortunately always before a 2 hour drive.

The only place we have achieved 11kW charging (AC) has been at home, nowhere else works, after nearly 4 months of experimentation.
Yorkshireman, living in Barcelona.
ID.3 Pro Max - Software 0792, Metallic Makena-turquoise

G43FAN
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 am

Re: What’s Up with the charging speeds ?

Post by G43FAN » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:24 pm

Anduain wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:04 pm
DC rapid charging for us has been great, the free 50kW chargers (that work) are extremely quick, typically around 45kW after a 15 minute drive.

As Scott says, we too have not really noticed much change from 80 to 90.

I have to say that with a rapid charger running it’s caught me out a couple of times and charged up to 100%, fortunately always before a 2 hour drive.

The only place we have achieved 11kW charging (AC) has been at home, nowhere else works, after nearly 4 months of experimentation.
You get 11kW at home. Is that a perk of the Spanish electrical system?
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey - Now with 2.1 !!!

Post Reply