What’s Up with the charging speeds ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Coopear

Post by Coopear »

Update on charge after battery prep (not positive!)
Advice from Ionity was
1- driving for 30-40 minutes at highway speeds prior to charge to ensure battery is warm
2- not having the battery less than 20% prior to charge
3- nice warm day

Nothing to be done about the warm day but was about the same as Thursday. Today I’d driven for around 40 minutes on the A1, and battery was at 50%. Result was half the rate when I’d done no prep :-/ 30kW today instead of the 60 I got Thursday. So the mystery remains.

Jel

Post by Jel »

Coopear wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:37 pm Update on charge after battery prep (not positive!)
Advice from Ionity was
1- driving for 30-40 minutes at highway speeds prior to charge to ensure battery is warm
2- not having the battery less than 20% prior to charge
3- nice warm day

Nothing to be done about the warm day but was about the same as Thursday. Today I’d driven for around 40 minutes on the A1, and battery was at 50%. Result was half the rate when I’d done no prep :-/ 30kW today instead of the 60 I got Thursday. So the mystery remains.
Well so much for my theory then :? I'm planning on running another charge test this week.

I'm currently running a range test which is not looking great. I've done only 57 miles of slow city driving and already down to 53%. :shock: . I have had the AC on and pre heated the car a few times so that will have something to do with it but its been pretty cold so...
NorwichComputersAndy

Post by NorwichComputersAndy »

I think the cold certainly is making a difference on range. It will impact the batteries performance however add lights and heating and it will make a huge difference.

When I purchased my ID one of the factors was we had to be able to get from Norwich to Kent on a charge - which in the summer would be fine however I think we may have to make a quick stop at a super charger - However we usually stop for coffee / loo break for the daughter so it won’t impact too much.

I will still be happy paying a couple of pounds a charge from home for the daily slog round Norwich - I am quite lucky that quite a few of my clients either have free electric hookups or are located near free ones in the city.

From the YouTube vids of range test when the temps were 15-20 degrees most exceeded the advertised range though - fingers crossed we will eventually get the same 👍

(Bloody weather! 🤣🇬🇧)
Jel

Post by Jel »

This video explains the charging speeds of the ID3 (and most EVs) well. Once the HV battery is charged over 50% the charing speeds will drop quite a bit which seems normal for most EVs. Anything below 50% charge amount and you should get the maximum charge rate from the charging point.

( )
Jel

Post by Jel »

So charged the car again this morning starting at 25% charge on a 150kW charging point so it should be outputting a 100kW charge to the ID3 but the charging point display showed that it was only pushing out 50kW to the car and I was getting 25% charge in 15mins which equals around 50kW.

I have a "Pro" version of the ID3 which is listed at excepting a 100kW fast charging speed max so if I'm not getting what I paid for VW are going to hear about it.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

As I understand it, there are a number of factors that influence charging speed. One is how many other vehicles are charging at the same location. Some locations have load sharing which reduces the power as necessary to avoid overloading the supply. Another is the ambient temperature. Another is the EV battery protection circuitry. Check out this: https://ev-database.uk/img/fastcharge/1 ... eCurve.png from the ID.3 page at EV-Database UK. On a 50kW charger the ID.3 will take its full output up to about 80%, after which the current delivery drops off progressively to protect the battery. On a 150kW charger the full 100kW that the ID.3 can accept will only be delivered up to about 30%, after which the current drops progressively. At about 70% the delivery is down to about 50kW.

It turns out that Lithium Ion batteries are worn out not so much by using them as by charging them to 100% at high speed. That's why VW recommend charging to 80% and it's why charging beyond that slows down. The same principle applies to mobile phones. If you usually charge your phone to 80% - and there are apps that help you do this - your phone's battery will last longer. Mine is over three years old and the battery has 91% of its original capacity.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Jel

Post by Jel »

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:04 pm As I understand it, there are a number of factors that influence charging speed. One is how many other vehicles are charging at the same location. Some locations have load sharing which reduces the power as necessary to avoid overloading the supply. Another is the ambient temperature. Another is the EV battery protection circuitry. Check out this: https://ev-database.uk/img/fastcharge/1 ... eCurve.png from the ID.3 page at EV-Database UK. On a 50kW charger the ID.3 will take its full output up to about 80%, after which the current delivery drops off progressively to protect the battery. On a 150kW charger the full 100kW that the ID.3 can accept will only be delivered up to about 30%, after which the current drops progressively. At about 70% the delivery is down to about 50kW.

It turns out that Lithium Ion batteries are worn out not so much by using them as by charging them to 100% at high speed. That's why VW recommend charging to 80% and it's why charging beyond that slows down. The same principle applies to mobile phones. If you usually charge your phone to 80% - and there are apps that help you do this - your phone's battery will last longer. Mine is over three years old and the battery has 91% of its original capacity.
Hi HeidiFlowerpot,

Thanks for your replay. All good points you have made and to answer a few of them.

- The was only one charing point so no other cars where charging
- I started charging at 24% but the charging rate was never above 50kW
- I have only ever charged to 100% once to test the range and all other times to 80%
- I have dealt with lithium batteries for around 10 years now and have a good understanding of what they like and don't like.

Which comes down to the ambient temperature and the temperature of the batteries themselves. My next test will be to drive on a motorway to try to warm the batteries and see what the charge rate is then.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I'm told that driving for 30 minutes before you start helps, and starting the charge below 20% (the lower the better)
RDR

Post by RDR »

Having had BMW I3's since their launch I gave up years ago trying to scientifically work out the parameters required to achieve a BEVs max charging rate it gave me a headache. I became obsessed and slightly irritated by it as it became clear Environment, vehicle status, charger status and load balancing all impact the charge rate so I gave up and just went with it. On occasion I would catch it charging at max rate but 95% of the time it was less. Haven't tried our ID3 on a rapid yet but I expect it will be as similar experience.

On range I'm totally ignoring the ID3's as with my previous BEVS the GOM (Guess Ometer) was never accurate for the first 1000k of driving or after a reset it needed to learn the battery characteristics and the driving style/pattern I expect the ID3 will be similar.
Jel

Post by Jel »

RDR wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:53 pm Having had BMW I3's since their launch I gave up years ago trying to scientifically work out the parameters required to achieve a BEVs max charging rate it gave me a headache. I became obsessed and slightly irritated by it as it became clear Environment, vehicle status, charger status and load balancing all impact the charge rate so I gave up and just went with it. On occasion I would catch it charging at max rate but 95% of the time it was less. Haven't tried our ID3 on a rapid yet but I expect it will be as similar experience.

On range I'm totally ignoring the ID3's as with my previous BEVS the GOM (Guess Ometer) was never accurate for the first 1000k of driving or after a reset it needed to learn the battery characteristics and the driving style/pattern I expect the ID3 will be similar.
Okay good to know from someone else's EV experience. Does anyone have any experience with Tesla's regarding maximum charging rate constancy ?
Jel

Post by Jel »

This article pretty much answers my question ( https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 093718.htm )

Cold battery temperature = Slower "Fast" and "Rapid" charging speeds
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Coopear wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:31 pm Ok, I’m writing this while I sit plugged into an ionity rapid charger (capable of upto 350kW), charging at around 60kW. I thought I’d phone them up and ask why it wasn’t maxing out at 100kW...

Turns out there’s a few potential reasons. Optimum charging speed relies on several things:
- a battery <20% or >80% will be charged slower
- battery temperature. Ionity describe the optimum is to have been driving at highway speeds for 30 or 40 minutes prior to arriving at the charge point ensures battery is warm.
- external temperature, optimum is 15 to 25C

I missed all the above so maybe 60 isn’t too bad. I might try preconditioning the battery at home next time and see if it improves.
So I'm a little confused after reading this. I've only had the car two days and I thought I'd try out a couple of different chargers.

First time I'd been driving around 50-60mph for about 25 minutes, parked up using a 125kw charger (instavolt), 60% battery remaining. 14.5 degrees outside. Only got 31 kw/h charge.

Second time I had 70% remaining and went to a 22kw pod point at a tesco. Bit colder as it was late in the day (7 degrees outside) and I'd only driven two miles to get there, only got an 11 kw/h charge.

The instavolt one though is weird, it should not be that slow surely?
BrezzoK

Post by BrezzoK »

The tesco pod point is an AC charger isn't it? so the max the id3 can charge is 11kw/hr, don't know why you had problems with the instavolt.
Dec 2020 Pro Performance Business - White
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

BrezzoK wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:40 pm The tesco pod point is an AC charger isn't it? so the max the id3 can charge is 11kw/hr, don't know why you had problems with the instavolt.
Yes, after reading up you're right I will only get 11kw out of that.

I presume my battery just still wasn't hot enough to get a higher kw/hr from instavolt.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

I think sometimes you don't get full speed out of rapid DC chargers because the chargers have grid load balancing circuitry, if the local grid is close to its limit the charger will dial down the charge rate so as not to overload the grid. My nearest rapid charger is Osprey, I've never seen that one give less than its stated capability. But another local charger, a BP Pulse unit in the middle of a housing estate, has charged my car considerably slower than its spec indicates.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Emanuel

Post by Emanuel »

Since this thread is still going and I haven't seen this posted yet, I think this graph can clear up a lot of confusion about speeds and when you can expect what charge rate:
https://cdn.motor1.com/images/custom/fa ... astned.png

That said, please do note that the graph is created under ideal conditions where it actually tops out at 100 kW. As has been mentioned multiple times, temperature can affect this on the car side and then there are a set of variables that can affect it on the charger side as well. Hope it helps!
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Emanuel wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:31 pm Since this thread is still going and I haven't seen this posted yet, I think this graph can clear up a lot of confusion about speeds and when you can expect what charge rate:
https://cdn.motor1.com/images/custom/fa ... astned.png

That said, please do note that the graph is created under ideal conditions where it actually tops out at 100 kW. As has been mentioned multiple times, temperature can affect this on the car side and then there are a set of variables that can affect it on the charger side as well. Hope it helps!
Thanks for posting that. Certainly makes sense, however doesn't quite correlate with how things are sold "rapid charging in an hour up to 80%." The way this reads, even in ideal conditions is, rapid charging until 50-60% and then semi rapid after that.

I'm going to try it out at my local place in different weather and states of charge to see what differences it makes.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

CarterHounslow wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 am "rapid charging in an hour up to 80%"

50kW is classed as rapid, I've done it many times and the slowdown beyond 80% isn't huge right up to 90% (the furthest I've taken it so far)
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

DC rapid charging for us has been great, the free 50kW chargers (that work) are extremely quick, typically around 45kW after a 15 minute drive.

As Scott says, we too have not really noticed much change from 80 to 90.

I have to say that with a rapid charger running it’s caught me out a couple of times and charged up to 100%, fortunately always before a 2 hour drive.

The only place we have achieved 11kW charging (AC) has been at home, nowhere else works, after nearly 4 months of experimentation.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Anduain wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:04 pm DC rapid charging for us has been great, the free 50kW chargers (that work) are extremely quick, typically around 45kW after a 15 minute drive.

As Scott says, we too have not really noticed much change from 80 to 90.

I have to say that with a rapid charger running it’s caught me out a couple of times and charged up to 100%, fortunately always before a 2 hour drive.

The only place we have achieved 11kW charging (AC) has been at home, nowhere else works, after nearly 4 months of experimentation.
You get 11kW at home. Is that a perk of the Spanish electrical system?