Non VW branded 3pin charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
MB1

Post by MB1 »

Collected my ID 3 on 17th Dec it had 195 miles range, had a run round and decided to test charge the same night. Plugged in with a non VW 3pin charger in my garage (waiting for pod-point to install 7kw).
Error on dash “only emergency charging” took it to a local supermarket with a Pod-Point same issue.
Took it to the dealer on the 18th they have just contacted me to say they need to fit a new on board charger and it may be the non VW 3pin that has caused the fault. Anyone else had these issues.

hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

I have a non-branded 3 pin charger ("granny" cable) which I've used once with my ID.3. It worked just fine. As long as your non-VW branded cable conforms to the Type 2 spec then it should be ok.
roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

That is odd. Been happily charging on an assortment of non-VW chargers, evconnectors.com and Ohme, both working fine. Used Pod-point and BP 7kw chargers fine. Used a tesla destination charger fine (7kw), and also assorted rapid chargers. Good luck, hope they can fix soon.
VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

I bought a 3-pin chargecable from Argos, Masterplug branded, with a 10M lead, a bit cheaper than the VW 6M version. I've used it once so far but had no problems with it. It has a small LCD display which is quite informative about charge rate and energy.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

I regularly use a 10m granny lead bought from Screwfix for £160. I've not had any problems charging (unless I stop charging and try to start again). The amount of home charging I am likely to do made me baulk at £500 for a 7kW charger...
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Sindidziwa wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:40 pm I regularly use a 10m granny lead bought from Screwfix for £160. I've not had any problems charging (unless I stop charging and try to start again). The amount of home charging I am likely to do made me baulk at £500 for a 7kW charger...
So you're the one who bought it! I found it listed as 'in stock' on the Screwfix website but not available for delivery, only 'click and collect'. But I couldn't find any store in the country from which to collect. I concluded the item wasn't really in stock at all, and entertained some bad thoughts about Screwfix. You did better than me. I eventually bought the same item from Argos for £70 more!
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:39 pm
Sindidziwa wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:40 pm I regularly use a 10m granny lead bought from Screwfix for £160. I've not had any problems charging (unless I stop charging and try to start again). The amount of home charging I am likely to do made me baulk at £500 for a 7kW charger...
So you're the one who bought it! I found it listed as 'in stock' on the Screwfix website but not available for delivery, only 'click and collect'. But I couldn't find any store in the country from which to collect. I concluded the item wasn't really in stock at all, and entertained some bad thoughts about Screwfix. You did better than me. I eventually bought the same item from Argos for £70 more!
That's funny, I got mine delivered, rather than click and collect - that was back in September. I had spent quite a bit of time looking for the cheapest option... :roll:
MB1

Post by MB1 »

Here’s an update on this, the car has been at the dealer since 18th Dec, the non VW charger has been tested (VW wouldn’t do this so I had the pod-point engineer that fitted my home charger yesterday do it) unsurprisingly it was all OK. The car now needs a new onboard charger, there isn’t any in the country and they are on back order at the factory, earliest delivery date is 24th Feb. Wasn’t getting anywhere with the dealer until I spoke to the Business Manager (general manager in old money). I should now be collecting his new ID3 until mine is sorted. Not good but better than nothing I suppose
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

MB1 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:23 pm .......The car now needs a new onboard charger, there isn’t any in the country and they are on back order at the factory, earliest delivery date is 24th Feb.......
So does that mean VW can't manufacture any ID.3s until 24th February? As haven't got any onboard chargers.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire