3 Pin Charger Tripping Earth Leakage - VW ID.3 Charger

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Are others finding issues with the VW supplied standard ID.3 3 pin charger?
The dealer had stated 3 pin charger was supplied, as it wasn't they loaned me a black rubber ribbed e-Golf charger from collection of car on 23rd over Christmas which has worked fine.
Today I returned the e-Golf charger and they sold me at cost price the ID.3 3 pin charger IC-CPD (Model: 1EA 971 675 D), grey box with 4 leds, black mains cable and bright yellow cable to car.
It has taken 3 charging attempts and numerous fault finding steps to finally go from 65 - 80%:
  1. Car charged about 1% - house electrics tripped due to earth leakage tripping.
  2. Reset trip, plugged in unit outside - no lights on charger.
  3. Plugged unit on inside - lights on charger lit up.
  4. Plugged charger in outside - lights on charger lit up - car recognised charger and started charging.
  5. I noticed car charging light had gone red, car had stopped charging after a further 1% - no lights lit on charger.
  6. Disconnected charger from car and from mains.
  7. Reconnected charger to mains and car, charge started and has now completed to 80%.
Are others having similar issues with the standard VW supplied charger?
The charger is outside surrounded but not in snow, temperature is -4C, I experienced no similar problems with the e-Golf charger over the last week.
Planning charging for journeys is going to be very difficult, I am unable to rely on the charger working as expected without any notification from the vehicle that charging has stopped.
Last edited by simonrg on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire

simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Happy New Year to all :-)

Just an additional difference (deficiency) between this ID.3 charger and the e-Golf charger.
The ID.3 charger will not switch on again once the first charge has finished, i.e. when you subsequently pre-heat the car or increase the charging set point - lights on charger stay off and car charge light goes to red. Driver displays say charger fault, disconnect and reconnect charger.
The e-Golf charger would complete charge to 80%, car charge light going to white, then on pre-heat car charge light would go to green drawing current from charger not battery.
If I had not had experience of the e-Golf charger then I would have assumed this behaviour is normal.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire