Electronic engine sound fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
crobinson

Post by crobinson »

I’ve had my ID3 since October and seem to have had pretty much all the bugs that everyone has mentioned in this forum at least once. Recently I’ve found a new error where the electronic engine sound (the one that plays under 20mph) has randomly stopped working. Has anyone else encountered this? Or have I found a new bug ha!

Annoyingly my 12v battery died a few days ago but after charging it up again the problem went away for like a couple of days and it happened again this morning.

I really hope they start doing the over the air updates soon!

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Reported all the issues to your dealer?

They log a report with VW, my car has had about 25 issues resolved so far after 2 visits to the workshop.

I’ve found it’s best to be “active” with the service/workshop team at my dealer, rather than passively wait for VW to resolve issues that others have had.
crobinson

Post by crobinson »

I've got it booked in for next Wednesday, I've just asked the dealership to confirm that will be updating the software to the latest version (and what that is). Hopefully that will resolve the majority of the problems.
Deleted User 192

Send them any issues, faults, or quirks in advance.
crobinson

Post by crobinson »

Car went back in for the 2.1 update and to investigate the engine sound failure for a second time.

I told them to look at fixing the engine noise issue first rather than just hoping the update would fix it (knowing that resetting the 12v battery resolves the issue for a while). However they seemed to ignore this and told me that the update seemed to resolve the issue.

Drove the car back with no problems at all, parked up then when I went back out the next day I turned on the engine and low and behold the error appeared again.

I heard it could because the car is left on charge for more than 8 hours but the car wasn’t even on charge this time!

Very frustrating, also got the head office looking into it but they haven’t been very helpful just keep saying the dealership will sort it.

Anyone else encountered this yet?
Jono

Post by Jono »

I’ve had the fault since day one, my car makes no sound.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

If I hadn't been told there was an electronic engine noise at speeds up to 30km/h, I wouldn't have noticed that there is one. Inside the car with the windows closed I can hardly hear it (although I am slightly deaf). But my neighbours tell me they can hear it as I pull out of my driveway.

The sounder is behind the front bumper on the right side of the vehicle, I believe. It's designed to alert other road users of the approach of an otherwise eerily silent EV. Personally I'm rather glad it's so quiet inside the cabin, I like it that way.

Those who say it isn't working, is it possible you just can't hear it?
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Deleted User 192

It is VERY quiet, only heard my own with the driver window down when there was a wall to the right of the road.

Pedestrians don’t hear it.
bigsid

Post by bigsid »

crobinson wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:17 pm Car went back in for the 2.1 update and to investigate the engine sound failure for a second time.

I told them to look at fixing the engine noise issue first rather than just hoping the update would fix it (knowing that resetting the 12v battery resolves the issue for a while). However they seemed to ignore this and told me that the update seemed to resolve the issue.

Drove the car back with no problems at all, parked up then when I went back out the next day I turned on the engine and low and behold the error appeared again.

I heard it could because the car is left on charge for more than 8 hours but the car wasn’t even on charge this time!

Very frustrating, also got the head office looking into it but they haven’t been very helpful just keep saying the dealership will sort it.

Anyone else encountered this yet?

I've got this error too.
Every time I set off in the car, the following message appears after driving a few metres:
"Error - electronic engine sound. Please drive carefully"
Yellow warning symbol also permanently lit up on the driver's display
Jono

Post by Jono »

Get that on about 50% of trips - I’ve had friends listen and they all agree my car never makes a noise, regardless of the error
crobinson

Post by crobinson »

It's going back to the dealer tomorrow to be invested further, hopefully they fix it quickly. I'll let you all know if they figure out what's causing it.
bigsid

Post by bigsid »

I've had the 2.1 update now in an attempt to fix the electronic engine sound fault. However, the fault is still there.
Dealer has ordered a new sound actuator unit which will be fitted tomorrow. Hopefully that'll sort things out
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

I'd like to get the switch. Sometimes silence is better if no pedestrians. :oops:
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Davidynamic

Post by Davidynamic »

Any updates? I have the same issue
EVOWNER101

Post by EVOWNER101 »

Haven’t acoustic sound systems have been compulsory in EVs and Hybrids for a while.
Full details here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... ove-safety
Presumably it is something that will be checked when EVs manufactured after the dates specified eventually undergo an MOT.

Anyway, I had a similar issue with my EGolf.
It took the dealership ages to sort it out.
Turned out to be the switch assembly and that was on back order.
I do not know about anyone else but a clause in my insurance says something along the lines of (1) maintaining my vehicle in good condition and (2) I potentially will not be covered if I drive a car knowing it is otherwise in accordance with the vehicle specification and having a defect that (in effect) could be held to be the cause of an accident.
Knowing it would take the dealership a while to sort it all out, I contacted my solicitor to ask about my liability driving a vehicle without a working acoustic sound system.
The advice I was given was that because my EGolf was manufactured before the dates specified, I was technically not driving otherwise than in accordance with the specification of my vehicle so should be good from an insurance point of view.
However (and there always is a however where the legal profession is concerned) there was potentially a health and safety matter arising where pedestrians/cyclists were concerned.
I was driving a vehicle knowing that the risk to pedestrians/cyclist was increased because the acoustic sound system was not working.
The moment I mentioned all this to the dealership, they did not hesitate to take my EGolf back into the workshop and provide me with nice Audi (not EV mind) hire car.
It took them over a month to get the EGolf back to me.
May be a question some may think is worth posing to the black belt barrister, has a channel on you tube.
Current EV: ID.3 Tour Pro S :D
Previous EV: VW EGolf (Sep2019)
Date Ordered: 01/11/2021 :(
Date Finally Delivered: 15/03/2023 :shock:
Deal Honoured: :!: :?: :|
Dealership: Herritage Gl :? :roll: but love the individual people.