Wrapping the centre console and door trims

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I saw this on the UK Facebook group and fancied giving it a go myself - applying a vinyl wrap to the black shiny plastic around the phone and cup holders in the centre console, and the door panels.

Removing the centre console panel was quite easy, inserting a removal tool at the rear edge and levering that up to release clips along the sides. There's a power cable to some hardware that is attached between the phone space and cup holders.

The door panels are much tougher to get off but the principle is the same. Get a tool into the rear end of the panel to release those catches, then work your way along the bottom while levering up towards the top edge to release the larger clips in the centre section, once you've released those large clips in the central area the whole panel should come away fairly easily. Be careful not to pull the panel too hard towards the end of the process - there's a cable connected to the underside of the window switch mechanism - when I removed the first door panel I ended up pulling the bottom off the window switch and had to reassemble the pieces inside it!

I didn't take any photos of the centre console after removing it, but here's a couple of a door panel so you can see what you're up against:

IMG_4569.jpg

IMG_4570.jpg

Wrapping the panels takes time and patience, the centre console shape looks more complex but was actually more simple than the door panels - applying heat from my wife's hairdryer to stretch the wrap when needed and using my fingers to mould it to the angles and corners. I used a craft knife to trim the wrap - very sharp but very accurate!

Here's the end result:

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 15.37.40.png

IMG_4568.jpg

Parts
Wrap
Trim removal kit
Knife

Aussierob

Post by Aussierob »

That looks extremely cool and a great improvement. I wonder if I could do such a good job and I guess I’d be petrified I’d break a plastic panel in removing it. Anyone tried wrapping the main door card? The one that attracts so much criticism for being “scratchy”?
greengolf

Post by greengolf »

Nice job, I intend to do the same soon. :)
iD.3 Family with Andoya alloys & heatpump in Moonstone Grey (Christened 'Luna')
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Great job there. Amazed there's not a central torx bolt in addition to the clips for that grab handle on the door card.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Idmania3

Post by Idmania3 »

Just done mine today as well.
Took about 4 hours in total.
I also added a wireless charging pad at the same time as the 1st Edition.

20210806_135411_resized.jpg

20210806_135354_resized.jpg

20210806_135430_resized.jpg

VW id3 1st Edition Moonstone Grey
Octopus referral. www.share.octopus.energy/harsh-hippo-272
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Idmania3 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:35 pm Just done mine today as well.

I've since had to tweak the centre console area, the adhesive on the wrap just wouldn't hold around the inside of the tighter corners/angles, so I got the craft knife out again and trimmed back the vertical edges - you can see a little bit more of the piano black, it still looks a lot better than standard though.
Idmania3

Post by Idmania3 »

scott28tt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:19 pm
Idmania3 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:35 pm Just done mine today as well.

I've since had to tweak the centre console area, the adhesive on the wrap just wouldn't hold around the inside of the tighter corners/angles, so I got the craft knife out again and trimmed back the vertical edges - you can see a little bit more of the piano black, it still looks a lot better than standard though.
I did the same to mine as I was anticipating the corners to lift. I don't mind and I'm WRAPPED with the result :D
VW id3 1st Edition Moonstone Grey
Octopus referral. www.share.octopus.energy/harsh-hippo-272
DSB18

Post by DSB18 »

Looks good, I took the easy way with the centre console and bought the self adhesive cover for £25, very pleased with the look and an easy fit, a semi-matt carbon finish.
Just clicked on the link and it said they are now unavailable but it came from China so you might be able to find one on the Chinese sites.
ID.3 Makena turquoise Business Pro