Condensation front window screen

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

HI guys

This morning is the third occasion recently I have gone to the car and its frosty on the outside and has condensation on the inside window screen . Even had it when it was just wet.
It is due to go into the garage to be looked at - but I have never had this problem before with any new cars !

Has anybody else had the same problem with their ID3 ?

thks
783 software -
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926

gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Do you use the aircon? That can help remove the moisture from the air. If people are leaving the aircon off for economy purposes that might increase the humidity.

Otherwise there may be a problem with a seal on the doors, etc.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
AJK

Post by AJK »

I had this problem this morning with the condensation running down the windscreen pooling on the top of the dashboard. My dealer could not offer any advice other than put a hydroscopic bag there! If it persists, they have said they will look at it though Had the car 3 months and not had this before. Only light frost this morning as well and car had not been used for three days
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

I've noticed quite a bit of condensation inside, despite using the aircon. In my wife's Mazda mx-5, it's due to drain holes for the retractable roof being blocked but that shouldn't be a problem with and id.3 ;)
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

Interestingly I noticed this on both our cars this weekend (one an ID.3 the other another brand completely)....I wonder if it’s an unusual weather thing rather than ID.3 thing as not had it on the other car before in the last 20ish months of ownership....
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

Just got the car back from the garage - everything is OK , AC, heater, and no leaks.

In a nutshell - the leaflet given back seems to indicate you've got to use the AC more even in winter months, with the heater on it seems to be to hot inside the car and when it meets the cold it forms condensation.

First car I have ever had to suffer from condensation. Will monitor over remaining winter weather !!
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926
Chris.j.miller

Post by Chris.j.miller »

I get heavy condensation in my Id.3 every time if I get in it if the outside temperature is less than 10C. I always drive with AC on but it makes little difference. The driver footwell also gets damp (I dried it out and it recurs). If anyone finds a solution let me know, seems like a design fault though.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

At this time of year the ambiant RH is fairly low.
Any water inside the car that can become absorbed into the cabin as you warm the air will ultimately condense on the inside of the screen and other surfaces that are at or below the dew point temperature. Dew point is the temperature at which water will condense out of the air at a given RH and temperature.
I believe the car being well built doesn't leak air. This leads to an increase in suspeneded water in the air from our breath and any water on our clothes etc. AC reduces the RH as the water suspended in the air condenses out through a drain under the car. I dont believe putting the AC on if you are heating the cabin would dry the air unless there is a dehumidification mode????
If the refrigerant system doesnt have a de-humidification mode other than possibly the screen quick clear where heating and cooling is active. It wouldn't be efficient to heat and cool simultaneously in general operation.
My technique is to crack a window open a fraction. Low ambient RH and cabin RH will equalize very quickly without a big loss of heat.
I dont think its therefore a design fault.

Have you got the cabin in an air re-circulation mode?

That also leads to an increase in suspeneded water as there is no mixing with any lower RH ambient air.
Give the window crack open a shot. (5mm is enough)
It costs nothing to try.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Chris.j.miller

Post by Chris.j.miller »

Thanks Daveion I think you're right that it's built to the degree it doesn't leak air. Sadly I'd rather a car that leaks a little air rather than mop the windscreen constantly! From what I've gathered the AC is designed to dehumidify when in heating mode.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Chris.j.miller wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:47 pm Thanks Daveion I think you're right that it's built to the degree it doesn't leak air. Sadly I'd rather a car that leaks a little air rather than mop the windscreen constantly! From what I've gathered the AC is designed to dehumidify when in heating mode.
Air from outside enters the cabin as a mix with cabin air normally on a car unless its set to re-circulate which shuts off the outside air vent.

Do you have a heat pump?

In a building AC ststem de-humidification is achieved by heating the air to absorb more water then passing it over a cooling coil to bring the temperature back down to achieve a given room temperature. This reduces the RH but requires considerably more energy than just heating or cooling. It also requires an RH sensor to a dialed in RH set point. I cant see that being an EV operating system.

Check the recirc setting as said. It may be that simple. Hope you solve it.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
LesleyW

Post by LesleyW »

I’ve had a dreadful condensation issue with my one-year old ID3 family with water collecting under all the mats in the foot wells. The dealer has taken 6 weeks to investigate. They said the problem is due to drains on the glass roof installed incorrectly as some grommets had not been removed. The roof now needs to be taken off to replace the drains.
Has anyone else had this problem and was it cured? My car is on a PCP finance so am I stuck with it?
Mark55

Post by Mark55 »

Defog windows:
• Volume of air flowing towards the windshield
increases
• The vent temperature is adjusted as needed
• Air drying increases by lowering the
evaporator temperature
ID.3 Max Pro Performance ordered September 2021.
Glacier White Metallic Flat black
Delivered May 2023. Running 3.2
Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/dusky-quail-943
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

LesleyW wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:24 pm I’ve had a dreadful condensation issue with my one-year old ID3 family with water collecting under all the mats in the foot wells. The dealer has taken 6 weeks to investigate. They said the problem is due to drains on the glass roof installed incorrectly as some grommets had not been removed. The roof now needs to be taken off to replace the drains.
Has anyone else had this problem and was it cured? My car is on a PCP finance so am I stuck with it?
Not heard of that before. I remember a lady on Facebook had a leak through the glass roof on to the back seats that required a major fix, presumably refit of the glass roof. I've not heard of any others that went beyond the usual creaking.
If your car has got properly wet inside it might be an idea to take out everything you can (foot mats etc), make sure they are thoroughly dried, and then if you have access to one, stick a dehumidifier in the car for a bit while it's at home? But I would also ask the garage to make sure the car is thoroughly dried out when they fix the roof.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
LesleyW

Post by LesleyW »

Hi, sound advice thank you, agree it needs to be as dry as a bone before roof refit. The dealers have had the car since 11 Dec so I’ll have to trust them to ensure it’s dry. They say all carpets & seats have had to be removed. Needless to say I’m not pleased with the car.