Timing a Charge

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Id3 frustration

Post by Id3 frustration »

I set a charging time for my ID3 but this doesn't work. Sometimes the car charges immediately but Sometimes it starts at any random time that it feels like. Sometimes it charges at a rate of only 3 or 4 miles per hour and Sometimes at a reasonable rate. Something seriously wrong with it.

Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Did mine for first time last week and it worked perfectly, tried it this tuesday and no joy only added 30 miles in 7 hours , last night added 60 miles and still charging even though timing has finished , about time vw got something right as people are becoming increasingly frustrated and will turn to other manufacturers
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:01 am Did mine for first time last week and it worked perfectly, tried it this tuesday and no joy only added 30 miles in 7 hours , last night added 60 miles and still charging even though timing has finished , about time vw got something right as people are becoming increasingly frustrated and will turn to other manufacturers

Or switch electricity tariff - that was my path, my off-peak starts at 20:30 so I just pop out and plug the car in.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I agree that would be one way to get round it but if something is on the car i expect it to work . I've had Volkswagens for 20 years (about 19 in total) and this was the one i was most looking forward to but also the one i have been most disappointed in .
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

There seems to be a lot of folks with the same delayed charging issue. I have been trying since the last software update (783 - January ) to get the delayed charge to work - I thought I had cracked it last time with putting a departure time and preferred start time into the car program.
However, although it initially started flashing green to say it was waiting for the time - it started later to do an immediate charge - even though it was about 3 hours before it should have started.

I've looked at Octopus GO - and their off-peak starts at 00:30 until 04:30 - does this depend on where you live ?
Still the same problem - need delayed charge to work .

Very frustrated -and annoyed.

Have contacted We charge ID people - and they have no plans to put delayed charge on to the APP. Its only immediate .

Going to try again tonight - if no success back to VW garage - & an email to the executive office at VW UK .
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Good luck with the Wecharge people my card stopped working 3 plus weeks ago ,after initially answering my emails they passed it on to their technical people to solve since then no action and no reply to an email asking for an update they are a waste of time
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Ph66 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:36 am I've looked at Octopus GO - and their off-peak starts at 00:30 until 04:30 - does this depend on where you live ?

Go is set at 00:30-04:30 no matter where you are, as is the 5p rate - the peak rate does depend on your region though.

The peak rate being regional is also true for their Go Faster tariff, but it has options for when you want the off-peak rate to start and how long you want it to last (which influences the rate) - I have 5 hours starting at 20:30 for 5.5p.
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

I've just looked at 'Smart Home Charge' and the Ohme charger. It would seem that through a smartphone app, charging can be controlled completely (start/finish time etc.) Or is this not the case with the ID3?
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Ph66 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:36 am Have contacted We charge ID people - and they have no plans to put delayed charge on to the APP. Its only immediate .
Somebody could do the app, that opens ID app and switches charging on/off. :P
I can't see, why is it so hard to do.
Usually I put on timed charging and mostly it works, but sometimes the plans change.
Then go to cold car, wake it up, change departure time, sing lullaby, and hope, it wakes up at time.
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Mixmaxmox

Post by Mixmaxmox »

I use an Ohme wall charger & it works great with Octopus Go.

I have no 'timed' or location settings in the car, everything is scheduled using the charger. It's really easy to set up & just delivers upto 4 hours of charge. I have it set stop at 80% or 04:30 when my cheap rate ends.

I've never tried to use the departure pre-conditioning, & the Ohme can't access my ID3s battery status, so some of the features in the Ohme app. aren't available, but for me its fine.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Mixmaxmox wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:41 pm I use an Ohme wall charger & it works great with Octopus Go.

I have no 'timed' or location settings in the car, everything is scheduled using the charger. It's really easy to set up & just delivers upto 4 hours of charge. I have it set stop at 80% or 04:30 when my cheap rate ends.

I've never tried to use the departure pre-conditioning, & the Ohme can't access my ID3s battery status, so some of the features in the Ohme app. aren't available, but for me its fine.
That's surprising - I would have thought that was a given. The demo video seemed to show the vehicle battery SOC (state of charge). Presumably you mean SOC when you say 'battery status'?
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Mixmaxmox

Post by Mixmaxmox »

Raxacorico wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:34 pm
Mixmaxmox wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:41 pm I use an Ohme wall charger & it works great with Octopus Go.

That's surprising - I would have thought that was a given. The demo video seemed to show the vehicle battery SOC (state of charge). Presumably you mean SOC when you say 'battery status'?
Yes, I understand the Ohme app, can't use the API data of the VW app. & so is clueless to the SOC.
I generally just charge up to 80% when my charge level drops below 50%, which can be achieved during the Octopus Go cheap rate period. It's simple & works for me, but definitely isn't as 'smart' as it should be.
Narked@50

Post by Narked@50 »

If the Ohme charger cant access the ID3 Battery SOC, how can it charge up to 80% ?
sclrkuk

Post by sclrkuk »

Narked@50 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:48 pm If the Ohme charger cant access the ID3 Battery SOC, how can it charge up to 80% ?
Set 80pc as the upper charge limit in the vehicle settings in the infotainment system.
VW ID.3 Life
Id3 frustration

Apart from charge timing issues I also have problems that often the charging rate is painfully slow 3 or 4 miles per hour added and recently I had an issue that I couldn't start charging at all then suddenly after about 36 hours the car began charging quickly. I makes a daunting prospect going for a long distance journey. Having said that I have not had the opportunity to try a highspeed DC charging point, so I don't know if I would have problems with the car charging slowly on a DC charge. If anyone else has had slow charging problems at home and then tried a high speed charge it would be good to know what their experience was like.
Id3 frustration

Regarding timed charging problems, I understand that they do not have off peak cheap electricity tariffs in Germany, perhaps if they did Volkswagen would be more inclined to pull their finger out and do something about this issue.
DadGrifty

Post by DadGrifty »

Thanks scott28tt - I set the timed charge up as: 'vehicle' - 'location' - 'home' - charge between 00.30 and 04.30 (Octopus cheap rate); instant charge from 10%; charge up to 80%; didn't set a departure time; didn't tick either 'automatically unlock connection' or 'reduce a/c'. So the timing all works well, get the green flashing light when I plug in late afternoon, then charges during the set times but only at the miserly rate of 8mph.
Id3 frustration

I have had the same problem of very low charging rates, as low as 3 mph. So in four hours duration of cheap rate only 12 miles added. Never had any problems with my old e-golf, is that what they call progress.
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

I have just gone out to set the car up for a delayed charge after midnight, and well it's lost the saved location . Tried to set it up again but it still won't display as set up !

The funny thing is I've plugged the cable in and it's flashing green on the charging flap to say it's waiting for the time ....

What's going on !
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Ph66 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:21 pm The funny thing is I've plugged the cable in and it's flashing green on the charging flap to say it's waiting for the time ....
Mine fades in and out when it is charging, I guessing your flashing is a lot quicker and the car isn't just charging..

I have an automated switch which turns my charger on and off, based on time and need for the ID.3 to charge.

So I haven't played with the timed charging settings on the ID.3.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire