Timing a Charge

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I've recently had the 2.0 software update and have tried to set the timed charge . I set the day and preferred start and stop times , the charge level required and also departure time , all boxes ticked but it still only charged to 67% which added approx 50% in the available 7 hours . Anyone any idea what I am doing wrong?
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw

roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

I believe the short answer is the 2.0 timed charging is buggy, and many others have the same issue.

I am on 0564 original software and the timed charging is all handled by my charger (an EO Mini Pro 2) which works fine with the ID.3. I typically charge to 80 or 90% using off peak charging, so for me 20:30->01:30 @5.5p/kwh, and then have a timed charge set for the 30 minutes I am due to leave the house in the morning, where I have set the car to warm up/defrost. What i then find is the car since it has reached the preset charge to limit will draw half power from the charger to warm the car up.
VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I tried using a departure time to coincide with the end of my off-peak tariff, in theory the car should have reached 80% by 01:30

In reality it “slow charged”, only got to 51% by 01:30, and if I had just done a manual charge it would have reached 80% by about 00:40

So I don’t bother with it now, I just plug in at 20:30 when my off-peak starts

For reference I have a Pod Point 7kW
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

We were using the timed charge to finish at 0530 and was working perfect until Wednesday evening when it stopped!

Car starts to charge as soon as plugged in but at a very slow charge rate

Tried again Thursday evening snd same thing, we gave now turned off and plugging in before hoping to bed as our cheap rate starts at 0030

We are on 0784 and gave pod point 7kw

Strange how stopped on Wednesday and the screen on app has changed as well not sure related as we set on car

Another report to VW, also had another spurious take to ‘service provider ‘ Saturday morning, turn of get out and start again and all ok!

Anyone else had something change this week!!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
pbaptista

Post by pbaptista »

So far I have charge the car 3 times.
The first time, I charged without any configuration except 80%, the charge ended at 79% because my wall box was programmed to turn off at the end of the cheap rate.
The 2nd time, it charge up to 80%, it ended but after 1h: 20m it started to charge again!
I was out of the house, walking, as I have an app that controls my wallbox, I turned it off remotely, but even so it reached 81%!

The 3rd time, today, I set it to 70%, with start and end time, it ended 8 minutes before the hour with the charge at 67%.
As my wall box adjusts the charging current according to the remaining consumption of the house, I assumed that the car had been deceived by it and that is why it didn't charge up to 70% but from the post from Bromsgroveuser I already realized that it must be a bug. The first! :lol:
ID.3 Tour - Glacier White 0783, from 12 February 2021, upgrade to 0792 in 15 April 2021
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

When I put departure time at 8:00 and cheap time ending is 7:00, it usually stops at 7:00 and starts again, when air conditioning is on in 'departure times'.
When I change to 2-nd departure time eg. for weekend, it sometimes won't see it and won't charge.
So I've used to change the first time and for weekend unticked the cheap time.
(It is cheap time all the weekend, so I'd prefer the cheap time should be under the actual time period, not under main menu.)
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Robsto

Post by Robsto »

I am finding this impossible to program easily after version 2 update Set home location and departure time and seems to work but how do you charge outside of this time Nothing on the screen allows for start now Anyone got any idea
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

If away from home ours charged straight away
At home I just turned the timed charge off if I needed an immediate boost

Our timed charge has stopped working all together and awaiting next update in hope it fixes issue ! Shame as was working very well!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
DadGrifty

Post by DadGrifty »

First time on ID3forum. Query about rate of charging. Plug in and charge straight away at home and car charges at 25mph according to WeConnect app. But if set charging timer the timing is fine but only charges at 8mph. Any suggestions to increase the rate overnight?
Deleted User 192

DadGrifty wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:22 pm First time on ID3forum. Query about rate of charging. Plug in and charge straight away at home and car charges at 25mph according to WeConnect app. But if set charging timer the timing is fine but only charges at 8mph. Any suggestions to increase the rate overnight?

Good question, I had the same experience.

Share the specifics of what you’ve set on the car in terms of preferred times, departure times, charge levels...
Id3 frustration

Post by Id3 frustration »

I set a charging time for my ID3 but this doesn't work. Sometimes the car charges immediately but Sometimes it starts at any random time that it feels like. Sometimes it charges at a rate of only 3 or 4 miles per hour and Sometimes at a reasonable rate. Something seriously wrong with it.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Did mine for first time last week and it worked perfectly, tried it this tuesday and no joy only added 30 miles in 7 hours , last night added 60 miles and still charging even though timing has finished , about time vw got something right as people are becoming increasingly frustrated and will turn to other manufacturers
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
Deleted User 192

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:01 am Did mine for first time last week and it worked perfectly, tried it this tuesday and no joy only added 30 miles in 7 hours , last night added 60 miles and still charging even though timing has finished , about time vw got something right as people are becoming increasingly frustrated and will turn to other manufacturers

Or switch electricity tariff - that was my path, my off-peak starts at 20:30 so I just pop out and plug the car in.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I agree that would be one way to get round it but if something is on the car i expect it to work . I've had Volkswagens for 20 years (about 19 in total) and this was the one i was most looking forward to but also the one i have been most disappointed in .
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

There seems to be a lot of folks with the same delayed charging issue. I have been trying since the last software update (783 - January ) to get the delayed charge to work - I thought I had cracked it last time with putting a departure time and preferred start time into the car program.
However, although it initially started flashing green to say it was waiting for the time - it started later to do an immediate charge - even though it was about 3 hours before it should have started.

I've looked at Octopus GO - and their off-peak starts at 00:30 until 04:30 - does this depend on where you live ?
Still the same problem - need delayed charge to work .

Very frustrated -and annoyed.

Have contacted We charge ID people - and they have no plans to put delayed charge on to the APP. Its only immediate .

Going to try again tonight - if no success back to VW garage - & an email to the executive office at VW UK .
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Good luck with the Wecharge people my card stopped working 3 plus weeks ago ,after initially answering my emails they passed it on to their technical people to solve since then no action and no reply to an email asking for an update they are a waste of time
Deleted User 192

Ph66 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:36 am I've looked at Octopus GO - and their off-peak starts at 00:30 until 04:30 - does this depend on where you live ?

Go is set at 00:30-04:30 no matter where you are, as is the 5p rate - the peak rate does depend on your region though.

The peak rate being regional is also true for their Go Faster tariff, but it has options for when you want the off-peak rate to start and how long you want it to last (which influences the rate) - I have 5 hours starting at 20:30 for 5.5p.
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

I've just looked at 'Smart Home Charge' and the Ohme charger. It would seem that through a smartphone app, charging can be controlled completely (start/finish time etc.) Or is this not the case with the ID3?
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

Ph66 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:36 am Have contacted We charge ID people - and they have no plans to put delayed charge on to the APP. Its only immediate .
Somebody could do the app, that opens ID app and switches charging on/off. :P
I can't see, why is it so hard to do.
Usually I put on timed charging and mostly it works, but sometimes the plans change.
Then go to cold car, wake it up, change departure time, sing lullaby, and hope, it wakes up at time.
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Mixmaxmox

Post by Mixmaxmox »

I use an Ohme wall charger & it works great with Octopus Go.

I have no 'timed' or location settings in the car, everything is scheduled using the charger. It's really easy to set up & just delivers upto 4 hours of charge. I have it set stop at 80% or 04:30 when my cheap rate ends.

I've never tried to use the departure pre-conditioning, & the Ohme can't access my ID3s battery status, so some of the features in the Ohme app. aren't available, but for me its fine.