Cannot engage drive or reverse

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Matthewwoolf

Post by Matthewwoolf »

As an update to my post I have now had VW confirm there is a part that needs replacing ( I believe this to be a transformer between the 12v battery and the car). It was due to arrive today however VW UK put a stop to the delivery stating that the part is faulty and its going through a re-design or re-programming (they were not clear). Either way I wont get another update until later in the week but clearly there is an issue here!
ID3 Life Pro - 2021

KeithR

Post by KeithR »

Oh dear, mine is going in tomorrow to have this problem checked. I’ve always managed to get it going but amber warnings have advised booking it in. Quite a bit of chatter on the EU ID3 owners site/page. Maybe a widespread issue?
SJM

Post by SJM »

Hello - 3 times in the past week car will not engage drive or reverse. 2 of the occasions we were away from home and both times, we did a factory reboot, walked away for 10 mins and then it started. Has just happened again at home but after 10 mins it decided to start without the factory reboot and we have had our software update last month. We only got amber take car to workshop on one of the occasions. We are so disappointed about the unreliability of the software !!!! Will phone dealers tomorrow.
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

Thursday visit to VW dealership came up blank after diagnostic test - the error message not even logged it seems. Drive system fault happened 2or 3 times over the weekend so I called again. After me objecting to their offer to keep the car and give me an ICE courtesy we agreed that I could have the salesman’s ID3 overnight. It behaved perfectly with him! But diagnostics has now revealed a fault in the drive module - the rocker unit I suppose. Replacement is on order. Nice outcome - once it’s replaced and behaving for me. 🤞🤞🤞
lbevanger

Post by lbevanger »

Happened to me earlier this year. Ended up back with dealer for weeks, they changed the 12V battery, the "gear" selector and I think also the little display. Not sure they actually figured out what caused it all but it has been working fine for three weeks now.
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

That’s reassuring to read. My 1st Edition is behaving himself much better as we await the replacement drive unit! (Currently glamping in Kinloch Rannoch for a few days).
michaelhendry

Post by michaelhendry »

Same problem Could not engage drive or reverse.
Off road for 4weeks. VW dealer replaced drive console but part took 3 weeks to arrive. Now working For how long?Obviously this is a more common fault. VW customer service say not occured before
michaelhendry

Post by michaelhendry »

Same problem Could not engage drive or reverse.
Off road for 4weeks. VW dealer replaced drive console but part took 3 weeks to arrive. Now working For how long?Obviously this is a more common fault. VW customer service say not occured before
Foxdeen

Post by Foxdeen »

Pining for my ID3 (purchased June 2021) which has been in the dealer's workshop for OVER A MONTH now with this problem. :x All fine until then, plenty of trouble-free use, but workshop seems to be completely baffled. Frustratingly little info and response to my requests for status updates after all this time. Struggling to recommend ID3 to friends and neighbours interested in going fully electric...
beacon39

Post by beacon39 »

Back in July my dealer diagnosed the problem within a day. They ordered a new rocker switch which took eleven days to arrive. They were not happy with it though for a different reason and ordered another one. I had use of the car for a couple of weeks before going back in for the second replacement. I've had no problem with it either replacement.
Life Pro Performance, Stonewashed Blue - East Derry alloys - Heat pump
Aberdeen, Scotland
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Foxdeen wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:02 pm Pining for my ID3 (purchased June 2021) which has been in the dealer's workshop for OVER A MONTH now with this problem. :x All fine until then, plenty of trouble-free use, but workshop seems to be completely baffled. Frustratingly little info and response to my requests for status updates after all this time. Struggling to recommend ID3 to friends and neighbours interested in going fully electric...

Have they replaced the drive selector?
Foxdeen

Post by Foxdeen »

They haven't mentioned that so far. Told me a week ago they had replaced "control units" but then found they could not code, and as of today apparently still no further despite ongoing support from VW central. Awaiting next recommendations...?!
Foxdeen

Post by Foxdeen »

Reunited at last! Collected my ID3 from the dealer/workshop yesterday, now running smoothly (and beautifully valeted!). That was a bit of a long haul, but after initial phase of patchy communications the dealership has kept me well informed, provided a courtesy car all this time, and - fingers crossed! - got to the bottom of what was evidently a challenging set of symptoms. Humming around happily today and remembering all the reasons I chose the ID3 rather than comparable options from other manufacturers. :-)
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Excellent news!!!