Cannot engage drive or reverse

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Flicker

Post by Flicker »

Anyone had this issue. Car turns on but I cannot engage drive or reverse. In garage now. Would love to hear if anyone had this issue.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Not personally, but read of others who have.
Shawfox

Post by Shawfox »

Yeah I've had it once this week. With all the other random temporary faults my car seems quite "possessed" so I assumed it was one of those things. I got mine on UK week one, so I have gremlins. Rebooted (got out and walked around) and it went away. FW upgrade tomorrow!
Flicker

Post by Flicker »

Can I ask what exactly u did to reboot. I tried d so many things...but its in garage now...
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Hi, did you get this fixed? Mine has just done this and of course it’s bank holiday so won’t be able to take it up to VW, wondered if it was an easy fix?
JamesT25

Post by JamesT25 »

Sounds the same as mine. It gave me a drive train error and asked me to consult workshop. Mines been in for a week now and they are replacing a part. Hope this isn't the first of many!

I have posted in a different thread about this. Couldnt select a gear or even neutral to push it out of the way

Good luck

Cheers

James
G4XUR

Post by G4XUR »

Had the same problem with mine a couple of times. VW assist (the AA) came and fiddled with he battery connections and all worked well. I drive it to the dealer as the AA said a serious error had occurred referring to a point where the "electronic hand break" did not engage leaving me trapped in the vehicle with the foot break holding the car from running away!! I did take a video of all the warnings and provided this to the dealer. They are planning to replace the 12v battery which after all the previous faults / prototype software is probably knackered. VW have released a real screwed up vehicle this time!! Surprising as their historic claim to fame was reliability and dependability. Have a new fault now with 2 zone heating and cooling; when synced get a 10deg C temp difference, Verified last week by dealer who diagnosed a sensor fault now to be replaced! Very very disappointed with the ID3,
rayking

Post by rayking »

My ID3 is 6months old and twice in recent weeks has refused to move to drive or reverse.The first time I just got out of the car left it for a few seconds then got back in and it was ok.
More recently I had to call the AA who spent 1.5 hours but unable to fix it. The next morning it was ok !? Now driving it and just waiting for it to let me down a third time.Apart from these incidents I have been delighted with the car.
Matthewwoolf

Post by Matthewwoolf »

I posted on another thread, Ive had this twice now. Both times the AA have had to recover the car to the dealer. I was told the 1st time its a 12v battery issue which was apparently resolved but then it happend again. Now the car is at the dealer and Im waiting to hear from them.

Im quite worried that this issue will continue. Not sure I want the car back!
ID3 Life Pro - 2021
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

I’ve had my 1st Edition for 4 weeks now and this fault turns up at least 2 or 3 times a week. After getting out, locking it, waiting a couple of minutes and starting over as suggested above it has remedied itself. Recently I’ve just pressed the ignition button at the side of the steering column to switch off, count to 10 and restart. I’ve also had “Error: drive system fault. Take car to workshop” amber messages - probably linked to our problem I guess?
It’s going in to the VW dealer on Thursday for a few hours.
Matthewwoolf

Post by Matthewwoolf »

As an update to my post I have now had VW confirm there is a part that needs replacing ( I believe this to be a transformer between the 12v battery and the car). It was due to arrive today however VW UK put a stop to the delivery stating that the part is faulty and its going through a re-design or re-programming (they were not clear). Either way I wont get another update until later in the week but clearly there is an issue here!
ID3 Life Pro - 2021
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

Oh dear, mine is going in tomorrow to have this problem checked. I’ve always managed to get it going but amber warnings have advised booking it in. Quite a bit of chatter on the EU ID3 owners site/page. Maybe a widespread issue?
SJM

Post by SJM »

Hello - 3 times in the past week car will not engage drive or reverse. 2 of the occasions we were away from home and both times, we did a factory reboot, walked away for 10 mins and then it started. Has just happened again at home but after 10 mins it decided to start without the factory reboot and we have had our software update last month. We only got amber take car to workshop on one of the occasions. We are so disappointed about the unreliability of the software !!!! Will phone dealers tomorrow.
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

Thursday visit to VW dealership came up blank after diagnostic test - the error message not even logged it seems. Drive system fault happened 2or 3 times over the weekend so I called again. After me objecting to their offer to keep the car and give me an ICE courtesy we agreed that I could have the salesman’s ID3 overnight. It behaved perfectly with him! But diagnostics has now revealed a fault in the drive module - the rocker unit I suppose. Replacement is on order. Nice outcome - once it’s replaced and behaving for me. 🤞🤞🤞
lbevanger

Post by lbevanger »

Happened to me earlier this year. Ended up back with dealer for weeks, they changed the 12V battery, the "gear" selector and I think also the little display. Not sure they actually figured out what caused it all but it has been working fine for three weeks now.
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

That’s reassuring to read. My 1st Edition is behaving himself much better as we await the replacement drive unit! (Currently glamping in Kinloch Rannoch for a few days).
michaelhendry

Post by michaelhendry »

Same problem Could not engage drive or reverse.
Off road for 4weeks. VW dealer replaced drive console but part took 3 weeks to arrive. Now working For how long?Obviously this is a more common fault. VW customer service say not occured before
michaelhendry

Post by michaelhendry »

Same problem Could not engage drive or reverse.
Off road for 4weeks. VW dealer replaced drive console but part took 3 weeks to arrive. Now working For how long?Obviously this is a more common fault. VW customer service say not occured before
Foxdeen

Post by Foxdeen »

Pining for my ID3 (purchased June 2021) which has been in the dealer's workshop for OVER A MONTH now with this problem. :x All fine until then, plenty of trouble-free use, but workshop seems to be completely baffled. Frustratingly little info and response to my requests for status updates after all this time. Struggling to recommend ID3 to friends and neighbours interested in going fully electric...
beacon39

Post by beacon39 »

Back in July my dealer diagnosed the problem within a day. They ordered a new rocker switch which took eleven days to arrive. They were not happy with it though for a different reason and ordered another one. I had use of the car for a couple of weeks before going back in for the second replacement. I've had no problem with it either replacement.
Life Pro Performance, Stonewashed Blue - East Derry alloys - Heat pump
Aberdeen, Scotland