Self-sealing tyres

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

I've just learned a bit about self-sealing tyres.

The tyres fitted to ID.3 models with 19 or 20" alloys are self-sealing, branded either Goodyear, Continental or Bridgestone.

Self-sealing means (according to the Continental website) that 80% of punctures will self-seal.

I had a puncture, and the tyre lost pressure (from 36psi down to 18psi) which threw up a warning on the instrument binnacle.

I've just been to my local tyre depot and got it replaced. There was a screw in the tyre, right on the edge of the area protected by the self-seal compound, which is a sticky black coating on the inside of the tyre corresponding to the tread area.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot

simonrg

Post by simonrg »

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:40 pm I've just been to my local tyre depot and got it replaced. There was a screw in the tyre, right on the edge of the area protected by the self-seal compound, which is a sticky black coating on the inside of the tyre corresponding to the tread area.
I assume you got the same self-sealing tyre, how much was it?
I guess the puncture had damaged the structural integrity of the tyre and this would have been the same for any tyre whether self-sealing or not, so unsafe to drive and hence would need to be replaced.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

simonrg wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:48 pm
HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:40 pm I've just been to my local tyre depot and got it replaced. There was a screw in the tyre, right on the edge of the area protected by the self-seal compound, which is a sticky black coating on the inside of the tyre corresponding to the tread area.
I assume you got the same self-sealing tyre, how much was it?
I guess the puncture had damaged the structural integrity of the tyre and this would have been the same for any tyre whether self-sealing or not, so unsafe to drive and hence would need to be replaced.
My car has Goodyear tyres, I replaced like for like. The VW dealership had quoted £197 and a delay over the weekend while they got it into stock. The tyre depot (local independent 'Formula 1st') did it next day for £155. I'm not used to tyres costing more than about £100, but then I've never had a car with wheels as big as 19".
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:02 pm My car has Goodyear tyres, I replaced like for like. The VW dealership had quoted £197 and a delay over the weekend while they got it into stock. The tyre depot (local independent 'Formula 1st') did it next day for £155. I'm not used to tyres costing more than about £100, but then I've never had a car with wheels as big as 19".
Thanks, more expensive than I am used to but better than £250 I had seen mentioned elsewhere.
In terms of wheels being 19", question really, I had read that is less tyre for a 19" wheel than for an 18" wheel, as the road contacting running circumference (diameter of the tyre) is the same, meaning the tyre wall depth is less for 19" than for 18". Obviously no reason why weight of rubber should be directly linked to cost, if 18" tyre less demanding that 19" tyre.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

simonrg wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:52 pm
HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:02 pm My car has Goodyear tyres, I replaced like for like. The VW dealership had quoted £197 and a delay over the weekend while they got it into stock. The tyre depot (local independent 'Formula 1st') did it next day for £155. I'm not used to tyres costing more than about £100, but then I've never had a car with wheels as big as 19".
Thanks, more expensive than I am used to but better than £250 I had seen mentioned elsewhere.
In terms of wheels being 19", question really, I had read that is less tyre for a 19" wheel than for an 18" wheel, as the road contacting running circumference (diameter of the tyre) is the same, meaning the tyre wall depth is less for 19" than for 18". Obviously no reason why weight of rubber should be directly linked to cost, if 18" tyre less demanding that 19" tyre.
An interesting point you make. The tyres for 18" wheels are 215/55R18, those for 19" wheels are 215/50R19 and for 20" wheels they are 215/45R20. The outer diameter of the tyre will be about the same in each case (they have to fit in the same wheel arches, after all) but the side walls of the tyres are different. The tyre design is progressively more 'low profile' as the wheel gets bigger. Low profile tyres are more expensive to make, or so the manufacturers would have us believe.

I'm not sure why the ID.3 has such big wheels. Reviewers have indicated that the 18" wheels give the softest, quietest ride. The ICE-equivalent Golf has acquired progressively bigger wheels over the years. My Mk1 Golf had 15" wheels as far as I remember. I read somewhere that the ID.3 wheels and tyres were specified for lowest rolling resistance?
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

I recently posted this on another thread. I appreciate that a screw is much bigger than a nail, but I wonder whether the OP's tyre might have self healed after the screw was taken out.
My wife had just left home when she reported that she'd had the low pressure warning from one tyre. She drove back very slowly and we found a large cable clip (possibly BT?) embedded in the tyre. I gently pulled the nail out, pumped up the tyre and it hasn't lost any pressure over the last four weeks. I did take it to KwikFit but they didn't seem very interested and basically said if it wasn't losing air, leave it alone.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

We had puncture on the second day of ownership,
Large self tapping screw right on the edge of tyre and needed replacement

Ours was a Bridgestone and cost £180, interesting it was repaired by AA and the ‘plug ‘they used was a larger diameter than the standard ones used at the tyre fitters, thus enlarged the hole and required a replacement
Unfortunately the self seal didn’t work!

Expensive and frustrating second day of ownership and set the pattern for the next couple weeks with the well known software issues!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
gwr

Post by gwr »

We've got 18" wheels but no tyre inflater and bottle of goo. Is there a way of telling whether the tyres are self-sealing from the inf. printed on them?
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

gwr wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:35 pm We've got 18" wheels but no tyre inflater and bottle of goo. Is there a way of telling whether the tyres are self-sealing from the inf. printed on them?

They won’t be, they’re 18”.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

gwr wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:35 pm We've got 18" wheels but no tyre inflater and bottle of goo. Is there a way of telling whether the tyres are self-sealing from the inf. printed on them?
The manufacturers give catchy names to their self-seal tyres. Continental call theirs ContiSeal. Goodyear call theirs SealTech. I don't know what Bridgestone call theirs but you'll find something marked on the sidewall of the tyre to indicate if it's self-sealing.

As I understand it, the ID.3 models with 18" wheels don't come with self-sealing tyres, and are supplied with tyre repair equipment instead. But you say you don't have such kit which does sound odd. Do you have alloy wheels? I wonder whether it's only the 18" steel wheels that don't come with self-sealing tyres?
gwr

Post by gwr »

The manufacturers give catchy names to their self-seal tyres. Continental call theirs ContiSeal. Goodyear call theirs SealTech. I don't know what Bridgestone call theirs but you'll find something marked on the sidewall of the tyre to indicate if it's self-sealing.

As I understand it, the ID.3 models with 18" wheels don't come with self-sealing tyres, and are supplied with tyre repair equipment instead. But you say you don't have such kit which does sound odd. Do you have alloy wheels? I wonder whether it's only the 18" steel wheels that don't come with self-sealing tyres?

You're right. I confused the bag with the inflator/goo with the bag containing the tow bar. I have both. So they're not self-sealing tyres (Bridgestone 18" steel wheels) and the extension lead I bought for the 12V socket wasn't a waste of money. Thanks!
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

I have a major issue with the self-sealing tyres on my 4 month old ID3. I noticed a flat type and tried to pump it up, I could hear the hissing after a few pushes on the pump. I contacted the VW retailer who put me through to the AA, they turned up after 1 hour, informed that these were self sealing tyres and as this had not self sealed it would need to be replaced, got a quote for 215 Pounds, the AA made a temporary repair and strongly advised me to get it replaced asap.

I must admit I was a little shocked by VW dealer Marshalls of Letchworth as when I reported this to them, they would not accept any responsibility for replacing this non-sealing self sealing tyre and advised me to get it replaced. They did say they would look at it if I was to bring the car to them for inspection, but it was highly unlikely they would be able to assist me apart for putting a new tyre on and charging me for it.

I find this situation incredible as there is no spare tyre, jack or fixing kit with the car.

Just wondered if anyone else has faced the same situation.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

A self sealing tyre that doesn't self seal - where was the puncture? If it was on the sidewall then fair enough- the self sealing layer is only around the tread width because it would be pretty dangerous having a defective sidewall you might not be aware of.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I bought an emergency tyre sealing / inflation aerosol from lidl today for £3.99 ,worth keeping in the car in case the self sealing doesn't work properly
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:15 am I bought an emergency tyre sealing / inflation aerosol from lidl today for £3.99 ,worth keeping in the car in case the self sealing doesn't work properly
What size wheels is that suitable for, last time I bought one I discovered it was only suitable for tyres up to 15".
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:15 pm
Bromsgroveuser wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:15 am I bought an emergency tyre sealing / inflation aerosol from lidl today for £3.99 ,worth keeping in the car in case the self sealing doesn't work properly
What size wheels is that suitable for, last time I bought one I discovered it was only suitable for tyres up to 15".
It says 18" on the can but for that price I'm willing to risk it on my 19" ones given that there's supposed to be a self sealer inside the tyres anyway
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:02 pm
G43FAN wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:15 pm
It says 18" on the can but for that price I'm willing to risk it on my 19" ones given that there's supposed to be a self sealer inside the tyres anyway
Thanks.. I might take a trip to Lidl..
rofoz3

Post by rofoz3 »

I had a puncture and was shocked to see that I had to 'repair' the puncture with some gloop and an electric pump (incidentally the loudest pump on earth - I had complaints from the neighbours)! When I got to Kwik Fit they told me the gloop means you can't repair the puncture so I needed a brand new tyre... and that it's standard to replace the other one on the same axle. It cost me £450, but they did throw in a new can of gloop for only £20 ("thanks"). TBH I probably didn't need the other tyre but it was a moment of weakness. I too will be making a trip to Lidl for a can of £3.99 cheap gloop. BTW I have steel rims.