Thud/Clonk sound on low speed turns ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Jel

Post by Jel »

I sometimes get a thud/clonk sound from the rear of the car at low speed. It seems to happen when the Front Assist light is active. Has anyone else experienced this ?
Last edited by Jel on Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

mez

Post by mez »

I’ve noticed a quiet thud occasionally but it’s the heater kicking in. But I think it comes from the front of the car. Not noticed any other sounds related to ACC.

Could this explain it?
ID.3 150kW Life Pro Performance 62kWh, v0792, battleship grey.
I recommend Octopus Energy: Receive a £50 credit with this signup link: share.octopus.energy/shy-wasp-900
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

I have a 'knock knock knock' sound from the rear under strong braking. Perhaps our cars are just trying to amuse us?
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Jel

Post by Jel »

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:43 pm I have a 'knock knock knock' sound from the rear under strong braking. Perhaps our cars are just trying to amuse us?
Have you asked the dealer about it ?
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Jel wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:58 pm
HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:43 pm I have a 'knock knock knock' sound from the rear under strong braking. Perhaps our cars are just trying to amuse us?
Have you asked the dealer about it ?
Not yet but I plan to.
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

I had this when we first picked the car up in September. We were up north at the time but it was a bit worrying so I took it to the dealer as soon as we got back. By then it wasn't so bad even though i had been doing some hard braking to recreate the problem and, of course, they couldn't find anything wrong. The tech guy suggested that it was the brakes binding a bit having been sat around for a long time and would then improve as the brakes bedded in - this sounded plausible. It only happened when I was using more than regen braking.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Sindidziwa wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:42 pm
I had this when we first picked the car up in September. We were up north at the time but it was a bit worrying so I took it to the dealer as soon as we got back. By then it wasn't so bad even though i had been doing some hard braking to recreate the problem and, of course, they couldn't find anything wrong. The tech guy suggested that it was the brakes binding a bit having been sat around for a long time and would then improve as the brakes bedded in - this sounded plausible. It only happened when I was using more than regen braking.

So has your knock knock stopped altogether now?

I'll monitor mine for a while. If it's just bedding in, it'll go eventually. My car has only done 1500 miles so far, all very gentle driving and hardly using the friction brakes at all.
Jel

Post by Jel »

I've also had the sound since new (Oct) but also felt like it could be the rear drum breaks binding a bit. Only thing is that its 6 months later and it still happening. It may need some more miles on it as I only have 1k so far. I will ask the dealer when I drop it off for the update.
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:13 pm

I'll monitor mine for a while. If it's just bedding in, it'll go eventually. My car has only done 1500 miles so far, all very gentle driving and hardly using the friction brakes at all.
YEs i have no more thudding and clonking - it stopped after a few hundred miles. I've now done 2.5k and not had a recurrence (fingers crossed).
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Sindidziwa wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:32 am
HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:13 pm

YEs i have no more thudding and clonking - it stopped after a few hundred miles. I've now done 2.5k and not had a recurrence (fingers crossed).
Thanks. Mine has done 1500 miles but all gentle around-town stuff, I'm sure my friction brakes are hardly bedded in yet.
Jel

Post by Jel »

So after a summer of not hearing the thud sound from the rear of the car it has started to come back as the temperature has dropped. Probably has something to do with the rear brake drums binding when they are cold but still pretty disappointing on a new car, its not the 1970s