Fitting Rear Speakers to a First Edition

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
RobM

Fitting Rear Speakers to a First Edition

Post by RobM » Mon May 10, 2021 9:54 am

Hi,

Does anybody have any information about how to fit rear speakers to a First Edition? That model comes only with front door-bin speakers and a central speaker on the dash. I'm happy to get VW do do this, if the cost is reasonable. I've called my dealer, but they're having problems finding out.

I've heard that it's only possible with a full upgrade of the entertainment system, but does anybody have definitive information?

Thanks in advance,

RobM

HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Re: Fitting Rear Speakers to a First Edition

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver » Mon May 10, 2021 10:28 am

I've heard that there's no provision in the wiring loom for rear speakers, so it won't be a straightforward job.

I rarely carry passengers in the back of mine, so it doesn't bother me that they're absent. In my view the sound quality in the front seats is pretty good, though.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN » Mon May 10, 2021 11:41 am

There has been a lot of discussion around this elsewhere on the EV Forums, it's not good news though

https://www.speakev.com/threads/id-3-re ... on.156653/
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey - Now with 2.1 !!!

scott28tt

Post by scott28tt » Mon May 10, 2021 12:50 pm

Same applies to all other specs that have 4.1 speakers rather than 6.1 speakers, not only the 1st Edition.
ID.3 1st Edition - Moonstone Grey

RobM

Post by RobM » Tue May 11, 2021 7:41 am

Thanks for the links. I'd found the Kufatech product on-line myself, but anticipated the potential problems with re-coding the central control unit. So I'm happy to buy (or wait for) the official VW retro-fit kit if and when it becomes available. My dealer is being very slow to dig up the information for me, hence the post.

I'll keep on waiting. My kids would appreciate a little more volume in the rear - and for the time being, I'll have to take that on the chin (or on my own ears..).

Thanks,