Turning Off Lane Assist

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

What I find more annoying and potentially dangerous is the car braking on the motorway for an exit even if you ignore it and in fact braking for a roundabout at the top of said exit.

Obviously you don’t lose control or anything, it is just pesky that it brakes for a roundabout that’s about 500m behind you.

ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

What is the current NCAP rating of your Nissan? I heard that the lack of 1-touch disable was also part of why the ID.3 has 5*
Good point well made Scott.
It turns out the Nissan was only 4* and doesn't seem to have been rated at all for 'Safety Assistance Systems' where as the ID3 scored 88% for this.
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

So, as I have stated previously I haven't felt that the lane assist 'interferes' much with my drive despite using primarily A and B (unclassified) lanes for most of my journeys, however I have recently started trying out B mode again to see if I could get on with it better now I was used to the car. This might be my imagination, but in B mode I seem to get a lot more Lane assist warnings?
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Is it possible to turn off Lane Assist on the ID.3 via a button on the indicator stalk, like you can on a MK8 Golf?
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

deleted
Last edited by G43FAN on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

andrewparker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:51 am Is it possible to turn off Lane Assist on the ID.3 via a button on the indicator stalk, like you can on a MK8 Golf?

No.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:28 am
andrewparker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:51 am Is it possible to turn off Lane Assist on the ID.3 via a button on the indicator stalk, like you can on a MK8 Golf?
No.
Can you add it to the short cuts?
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

andrewparker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:34 am
scott28tt wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:28 am
No.
Can you add it to the short cuts?

No.
Deleted User 1426

Post by Deleted User 1426 »

If you know someone with an OBD11 programmer or you buy one (£91) you can set the lane assist feature to remember last setting. So then if you switch it off it will stay off after a restart until you turn it on again. Even the ID3 user manual suggests that it should only be used on motorways and well made A roads.

I should say that living in Norfolk with very few A roads, it is a nightmare on all the smaller B roads.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

It's bizarre that they've made it relatively easy to switch off on a Golf, but not followed that through to the ID.3. We live in a rural location and most of the time when you're driving you're using narrow roads which inevitably leads to straddling lanes a lot.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
jasonrcook

Post by jasonrcook »

Normally it doesn't bother me too much. But, I have noticed that it really struggles in rain. The tracks from the vehicle in front seem to make it think I'm constantly crossing lanes so the wheel is constantly moving. For me, that is a good enough reason to want to turn it off - so having to do that through the screens each time is a pain. Even worse, is realising I haven't done it before setting off so have to do it during the journey and therefore having to do it on the move whilst the wheel is trying to kill me! :-)
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Wonder if there is any insurance implication if you turn it off via ODB11...
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

andrewparker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:50 am Wonder if there is any insurance implication if you turn it off via ODB11...
I would very much doubt that they would ever find out in the event of an accident.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

gailjon wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:30 am
andrewparker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:50 am Wonder if there is any insurance implication if you turn it off via ODB11...
I would very much doubt that they would ever find out in the event of an accident.
I would suggest it depended on the nature and severity of the accident and who got involved. Insurance companies will go a long way to avoid paying out.
Deleted User 1426

All new VW's and I think other NCAP 5 vehicles have to have it enabled by default, I had a Tiguan on loan the other day and it was permanently enabled, you could turn it off in the menu, but no simple on and off button on the stalks.
Deleted User 1426

And regarding the insurance implications, if you can turn it off on every journey by going through hoops it makes no difference if it is set to remember last setting. You can turn it on and off anyway.
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Cyclobob wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:49 am And regarding the insurance implications, if you can turn it off on every journey by going through hoops it makes no difference if it is set to remember last setting. You can turn it on and off anyway.
Yeah, that is a good point.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:43 am
I would suggest it depended on the nature and severity of the accident and who got involved. Insurance companies will go a long way to avoid paying out.

I agree. I also think that increasingly the electronic state of the vehicle, and modifications made to it, are going to come under more and more scrutiny in future. Which will likely make OBD modifications insurance-notifiable, and probably more secured by design in the electronics of the vehicle.

Of course you can still turn it off and on, but modifying the default state may invalidate your insurance :-(
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Deleted User 1426

If I am driving with Lane Assist off (which is a default menu choice that I make whenever I start the car) what difference would it make if I had an accident and lane assist was off because it had been set to remember last setting? In one instance it is me that turns it off (every trip except when I want it on for motorways like the user manual suggests) and the other instance, the car remembers I want it turned off for every trip (except when I turn it on for motorways)??
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Aren’t all the settings stored for recall somewhere in the system?