Android Auto

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
higgsy1640

Post by higgsy1640 »

I have a Huawei P20, 3 years old, running Android 10, fully updated. I find that the car will not retain the connection to Android Auto between journeys. The only way to make it work seems to be to delete the phone from the list on the car and then re-connect it, at which point Android Auto seems to work fine. But it is a bit of a hassle to have to do this every time I get into the car.

Does anyone have a solution, please?

Gr4ndp4

Post by Gr4ndp4 »

Hi, higgsy1640, in other circumstances I would suggest clearing the cache in the Android Auto App, in addition, try running Android Auto using a USB cable rather than the wireless function.
The manual says -
Prerequisites for Android Auto

Checklist

The following conditions must be fulfilled in order to use Android Auto:

The mobile device – hereinafter referred to as a smartphone – must support Android Auto.

An Android Auto app must be installed on the smartphone.

If Android Auto Wireless is not possible, the smartphone must be connected to the Infotainment system by means of a USB port with data transmission function.

The USB cable used must be an original cable from the smartphone manufacturer.

Android Auto Wireless: in addition, Bluetooth and WLAN must be activated on the smartphone.

The availability of the technologies depends on the country and may vary.

Information on technical requirements, compatible mobile devices, certified apps and availability is available on the homepage of Volkswagen and Android Auto or from your Volkswagen dealership.
Connecting

Follow the instructions on the Infotainment system screen and the display on the smartphone when establishing a connection for the first time.

The requirements for using Android Auto must be met.

Start Android Auto:

Tap HOME button App-Connect.

Tap Android Auto to set up a connection with the smartphone.

Disconnecting

In Android Auto mode, select the corresponding option to return to the App-Connect main menu.

Tap to terminate the active connection.

Points to note

The following points apply when an Android Auto connection is active:

An active Android Auto device can also be connected simultaneously to the Infotainment system via Bluetooth (HFP profile).

Telephone functions are possible via Android Auto. If the Android Auto device is connected to the Infotainment system via Bluetooth at the same time, the telephone function on the Infotainment system can also be used.

An active Android Auto device cannot be used as a media device in the Media main menu.

It is not possible to use the Android Auto navigation at the same time as the internal navigation. The last route guidance to be started terminates the previous active route guidance.

There is no media mode display on the instrument cluster display.

Voice control

Tap briefly to start voice control of the Infotainment system.

Tap and hold to start the voice control function of the connected smartphone.
unquote.
I'm not familiar with Huawei phones but am aware some Google updates may no longer be available on them.
Cheers
ID.3 Tech Pro in Scale Silver with East Derry 18" wheels
higgsy1640

Post by higgsy1640 »

Thank you, that's really helpful information with plenty of things to try.
dukeofted

Post by dukeofted »

I have the exact same issue with mine. My phone is a Poco X3 (just updated to Android 11 and haven't tried it yet) and my wife has a Nokia 7.2 on Android 10. It is so annoying how flaky the Android auto is in this car. Both are using a wired connection using a VW USB C cable. On Android 10 mine would sometimes reconnect when I use the car again but most times I have to delete the phone in the car settings to get it to work reliably. I have to do this nearly everytime on my wife's phone. It will be interesting to see if my phone is any better after the Android 11 update, but that doesn't help my wife.
Glasgowsheep

Post by Glasgowsheep »

I have the same issue (one plus 6T with Android 10)
Connects sometimes, not others. When I go to devices within app connect it shows my phone as being connected to android auto but the app connect button remains and the android button doesn't appear and I can't access it.
Tried various things but seems no rhyme nor reason about when it works or not