Intermittent charging at home

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
MvC

Post by MvC »

Hi,

I have an issue with home charging. It has happened three times now.
I'm using a Polar 7kW home charger, which has always worked fine.

Charging initially seems fine, but after a while its starts to switch off and on again.
The cycle takes a few second: terminating charging, waiting for a second and restarting again.
It just keeps doing this, I can hear the charger clicking on and off all the time.

I haven't set any locations, and I made sure the charging cable is well inserted into both the charger as well as the car.
Charge limit is set to 80%, but yesterday this happened at 45%.

Anybody seen this as well?

Maarten

Gr4ndp4

Post by Gr4ndp4 »

Hi, @MvC, to use the ID3 charging schedule you need to set a location first (lots of videos on Youtube - see If you search this board and others you will see many have given up on the ID3 charging software and rely on their wall charger programming (as I do). There is hope the first OTA software update will address this issue but it seems to be taking forever to arrive.
Cheers
ID.3 Tech Pro in Scale Silver with East Derry 18" wheels
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I got the impression that the issue was just to do with plugging in and charging and timed charging was not involved?
I have not experienced anything like the OP encountered and I can only suggest that you should head to your nearest free 7.4kw charger and plug in to see if it's car or charger/house circuit related.
MvC

Post by MvC »

Thanks, it is indeed an issue that just involves plugging in and charging.
It's not happening all the time, so using a different charger might not prove it's the car.
It even charges fine on DC, doing 100kW without trouble.

Maarten
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Any other large consumers in the house? (Spa?)
MvC

Post by MvC »

No, nothing large. Wish I had a Spa...
I've had that charger for 5 years. Always worked fine with my previous cars, a Zoe and a Leaf.
Alanpyle

Post by Alanpyle »

I have e to have BP PULSE(motability)
I'm with E-On Next&they say they don't recognise BP PULSE when can I get cheap charging or which electricity supplier does recognise BP PULSE
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Alanpyle wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:47 pm I have e to have BP PULSE(motability)
I'm with E-On Next&they say they don't recognise BP PULSE when can I get cheap charging or which electricity supplier does recognise BP PULSE

Octopus, as an example. You can use any charger you like with their Go tariff. Nearly every other supplier works similarly, it’s only E-On Next that requires you to use specific chargers as far as I’m aware.

Check your tariff carefully though to make sure you’re not paying too much for “peak” electricity
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

MvC wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:04 am Hi,

I have an issue with home charging. It has happened three times now.
I'm using a Polar 7kW home charger, which has always worked fine.

Charging initially seems fine, but after a while its starts to switch off and on again.
The cycle takes a few second: terminating charging, waiting for a second and restarting again.
It just keeps doing this, I can hear the charger clicking on and off all the time.
Sounds like the charger is faulty or the pilot line is not connecting properly. If you have a keyswitch on the charger it would be worth switching it on and off a few times while the charger is not connected to the car. Then see if that clears the problem. The pilot line controls whether the car charges or not and the keyswitch on the BP charger controls the pilot line.