Car won’t start and strange symbol

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
MikeJ

Post by MikeJ »

My car will not get out of park mode and there is a white symbol that looks like a brake icon but with a star, car and egg timer inn the circle.
I have retired many combinations of locking and unlocking the car, but it still refuses to go into drive?
If I press the start button on the steering wheel stem, a message comes us saying “Please check SAFELOCK, vehicle wallet!” Whatever that means.
Can anyone help at all please?

MikeJ

Post by MikeJ »

Image https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ayAHe ... d6lwU0cRnQ
Not sure how to show images on here, but perhaps one of these may work?
Lond_ID3

Post by Lond_ID3 »

92DB2841-5B1C-468D-94C5-125ABD27E0F1.png

I think the safe wallet is just a reminder to take stuff when the car thinks you’re turning it off?

I usually press again to try and “start” the car

The warning looks likes it’s something about front break assist… not sure that helps fix it though….
MikeJ

Post by MikeJ »

Thanks for the useful reply. It looks like the front assist and the wallet comments are nothing to do then with the car not selecting drive or reverse?
It just won’t move from park for some reason.
I have tried rebooting the car and pressed the start button many times, but it just won’t move.
I have tried telephoning VW but they are closed all day.
Extremely frustrating.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a way to fix please?
Jono

Post by Jono »

I think there’s a few threads on other forums about this

From what I remember, it usually clears itself when car is left locked for a period of time. I’ve also read that in some cases it needs fixing by the workshop - vehicle recovery
MikeJ

Post by MikeJ »

Thanks for your reply.
However, I have tried many times throughout the day and it just won’t switch into drive or reverse.
It is just stuck in park.
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

Agree the symbols you me room don't seem to have a thing to do with starting. You'll find all the symbols and much more in the wallet you mention. You'll find it in the main menu under Help, it looks like an online mini handbook.
I had strange things happening at first, probably because of playing around and then I hit some problems. I saw a YouTube telling me to reset infontanment by holding the power button for 10seconds or until screen went blank, then wait for it to reboot, problem went away, it's would be my first choice before diving into anything more complicated. No harm in trying.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

I’ve posted already about this. Try just leaving the key in the cup well for a while preferably with the ignition on; then try again. My 1st Edition has never failed to start after the drive refusing to engage, but the VW dealer has ordered a replacement drive rocker unit after finally diagnosing a fault.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Front Assist starting up with that white symbol is completely normal.

The SAFELOCK warning relates to the car auto locking the doors, that’s also completely normal if you have auto lock enabled.

Neither of those relate to your problem.
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

Agreed.
MikeJ

Post by MikeJ »

Thanks all. VW Assist (AA) came out yesterday and unable to get the car into drive. It has now been towed to our local VW dealer. Apparently, it will take a month to fix, due to workload and limited trained mechanics.
This is not a grumble at our local dealer who are extremely good with superb and conscientious service staff.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

A month to fix due to no techs? Unacceptable and I am usually quite tolerant of garages. VW should arrange to get it to a dealer that actually has enough techs to work on it.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Hate to ask a stupid question, is your foot on the brake when you select a gear?

A couple of people have suggested the best things. Reset infotainment by holding down thr power until the VW logo comes up. Leave the key in the cupholder on the key symbol while doing it.

Your key isn't in an RFID wallet is it?
yummymummy11

Post by yummymummy11 »

My car wouldn’t start this morning every warning light was on?..... My dash looked like a Christmas tree complete with sound effects 🧐

Called out VW roadside assistance, charge level was 71%, hubbie in the end decided to plug it back into the charger for a few moments and that seemed to reset everything? Very frustrating when your trying to get to work ....