Wireless charging - iPhone overheating

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Took delivery of a Tour today, so comes with wireless charging. While nice, the way the charging box is set up leads to the iPhone to overheat very quickly (the wireless charger gets quite warm itself). AirCon was set to 21/22, so I was a bit surprised about that. It seems to make it a bit useless on summer drives and might need a rethink.

Bottomline - if your ID.3 doesn't have wireless charging, you're not missing out on much. :mrgreen:

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yeah - same here. I plug mine in now and it charges and does the CarPlay much better. After a 2 hour drive my phone gave me a too hot warning that I’d not seen before!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I guess you can always use it for the passenger phone but yeah. It’s a bit of a useless gimmick right now it seems.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Yes it is, don't bother with it or your phone will deactivate just when you need it !
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I've a few wireless chargers and they're usually quite fenicky about being lined up properly - a real sweet spot where they work. With phones of different length - unless the slot is adjustable its enevitable it wont be aligned properly for all phones - so perhaps it has some large coil so it works - and that disagrees with the charging coil in the phones. A way to test would be to pad out the bottom of the slot in say 1cm chunks and see if there was a spot where it worked best and left the phone cooler. Just spitballing but thats what I wondered...
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

The thin charge pad I popped into my 1st Edition (that has no wireless charging) is looking like a winner after all ;)
Deleted User 1011

Post by Deleted User 1011 »

Yes, the wireless charger does create far too much heat. It also only works, if at all (but, to be fair, I have a leather cover) after a lot fiddling with the position. My home wireless charger works every time, even with the cover, though contains a fan to cope with the heat - which must tell you something.