Intermittent Wipers DO NOTHING

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Peter Pan Pan

Post by Peter Pan Pan »

Hi there,
Anyone else suffering the same problem as me? The intermittent wiper setting literally does nothing, no matter how long I leave it or what setting the little slider is on.
Or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
2021 ID3 Family Pro | Moonstone Grey | 4 wheels and a steering wheel

simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

Do you have the wiper stalk in position 1 (one down from home)and are wipers set for rain in the vehicle screen in the infotainment system?
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Assuming the stalk is in the right position and the car is already started, flick the stalk either down/up or up/down, or move the sensitivity control on the top of the stalk right/left or left/right - that should wake it up.

Previous VWs were the same, as was the Merc I had just before the ID.3.
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Pan Pan

Post by Peter Pan Pan »

Thanks both, I will check this evening. Bizarrely, left it in intermittent for my drive to work this morning, a run of about 40 mins. Really needed it in light drizzle but it did nothing. Just about arrived at work in blue skies and all of a sudden I got one solitary (and unneeded!) wipe.
Deleted User 192

I've amended my comment, I meant to do either of those things after you've started the car up.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Is off or intermitent the setting for auto rain sensing wipers?
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Peter Pan Pan

Post by Peter Pan Pan »

OK, so have checked the wiper stalk position and settings in the infotainment system. Apart from a solitary random single wipe (literally maybe once or twice in a whole journey), I get nothing at all from intermittent. Off to the dealer for me then...
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Have you adjusted the sensitivity of the intermittent wipers via the 4 stage switch on top of the stalk end, to far right or 1 notch from far right?

If the sensitivity is too low, it'll detect no rain unless it's absolutely bouncing.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 192

Peter Pan Pan wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:21 pm OK, so have checked the wiper stalk position and settings in the infotainment system. Apart from a solitary random single wipe (literally maybe once or twice in a whole journey), I get nothing at all from intermittent. Off to the dealer for me then...

You "woke" it up using one of the methods I suggested? The control on the top of the stalk is in what position?
Peter Pan Pan

Post by Peter Pan Pan »

I've tried the control switch on top of the stalk in various positions but will try again tonight. What I want it to do is just work as a 'manual intermittent' i.e. if I switch it on to intermittent, it wipes intermittently. Do I need to switch OFF rain detection in the infotainment system then for intermittent to work old school?
Peter Pan Pan

Post by Peter Pan Pan »

OK, so issue solved. If I turn OFF the 'auto wipers in rain' setting (buried nice and deep in the infotainment system), then the intermittent wipers work exactly as you'd expect. What a ridiculous system! I just don't get the logic here. Still, glad I've got intermittent working and will leave the 'auto wipers in rain' setting off as (a) it didn't work anyway and (b) even if it did, it means intermittent doesn't work. (I guess if it did work, I wouldn't need intermittent). And why is there no indication anywhere on any display telling you the auto wipers setting is ON or OFF? A bit like the Driving Mode. There's no way of knowing what mode you're in unless you select the Mode Change function from button underneath the infotainment screen. This is a great car with some really really annoying flaws! Mostly software/tech so hopefully fixable over time?!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Not sure why you couldn't get wipers to work with the rain sensor dictating frequency, especially as it has 4 levels of sensitivity to select.

I've had rain sensors on my last 7 VWs and they've all worked as expected, being much handier than the intermittent mode acting with no sensory input.

The logic of you having to switch the rain sensor wipers off to get standard intermittent is that you get one system or the other - they don't work together, because they're both intermittent - one is working on a time interval and the other is wiping when the rain sensor tells it to.

Scottyb

Post by Scottyb »

I Have the same issue on mine. Auto wipers set to on and nothing happens, no matter what way the stock is set to.
Tried moving every way it in lashing rain and nothing. Had to just manually increase them.
Set to rain tomorrow so going to try what you did , fingers crossed. Thanks
Hopefully 2.4 will resolve this…..
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Scottyb wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:20 pm I Have the same issue on mine. Auto wipers set to on and nothing happens, no matter what way the stock is set to.
Tried moving every way it in lashing rain and nothing. Had to just manually increase them.
Set to rain tomorrow so going to try what you did , fingers crossed. Thanks
Hopefully 2.4 will resolve this…..
I doubt 2.4 will fix your wipers as to mu knowledge there is nothing being reported as wipers being an issue (ignoring their physical positions). If the sensor is not picking up rain and therefore making them wipe I would suggest a dealer visit is needed.
snagglepuss

Post by snagglepuss »

For what it's worth my intermittent wipers don't work either.
iD3 1st edition Plus 58kWh Glacier White Metallic - Black Roof
Scottyb

Post by Scottyb »

Still not working automatically so will contact my dealer.
Yeah guess an update isn’t the solution.

With the auto switched off in the menu the wipers work normally just like manual wipers which is fine short term.

Let’s see what they say.
Shame as brilliant car, had an E208 before and it’s like night and day.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

My auto wipers have not worked for 2 weeks, but it hasn't rained for 2 weeks either. :lol:

daesimpso

Post by daesimpso »

When I got my car in September I fitted a dash cam. The next day I noticed the auto wipers didn’t work.

I’d not used them since picking up the car so assumed I’d knocked a wire. I took off the trim behind the mirror and made sure all the connectors were properly plugged in. They’ve been fine ever since.