Just ordered, now getting nervous!

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
van

Post by van »

Hi forum,

Placed an order for a Family Pro with heat pump just yesterday. Hooray.

Getting nervous because I thought my main headache now would be choosing a home charger. My Solar installer has recommended a Zappi. But have read several reports that the Zappi/iD.3 don't like each other in Eco or Eco+ modes. As we have Solar PV those modes would have been a big plus. However, as we're expecting a Tesla Powerwall in the next few weeks a less smart charger would do. So I've joined the forum to see what other people's experiences have been.

The nerves have started because of reading all the problems people are experiencing with all sorts of things, not just charging. Wow! I suppose it's to be expected from a new car using new technology, which has perhaps been rushed to market, but the nerves are certainly jangling. Perhaps by the time our car is delivered (estimate 5 months) more software updates would have sorted a good number of those. (Having worked in IT I know we can expect that those same updates will introduce new issues too!)

The closest we can park to the best position for a home charger, avoiding making it a trip hazard when in use, means that a 6.5m cable would be stretched, so a 7.5m would be better. As the charger would then be by the front door we're considering moving the home charger behind the adjacent garden gate for aesthetics/security, but would then need more like a 10m cable. Have just read on another forum that the iD.3 refuses to charge over a long cable. Anyone else had this experience? We don't do many miles and won't need to charge every day, should we get a granny cable instead of a home charger and just use faster charging when on trips? We have an external electricty circuit that could be extended to have a socket by the gate.

Any advice would be much appreciated, and of course I'll keep reading all the other forum posts! TIA.
Last edited by van on Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The home charger shizzle has been the worst part of my brief EV experience so far! A load of different models - different features and no outstanding brand apart from maybe Zappi (but they’re too large and ugly for my install).

I don’t have solar - or an octopus go tarrif yet - so actually don’t need many features and kind of wish I’d just installed a dumb socket.

That doesn’t help you (sorry!) but guessing you won’t be getting your id3 for 2-4 months because of the lead time. So plenty of time to research the home charger market and perhaps the prices/models will change in that time.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

The software should be at least 2 versions on from what it is generally available today, it gets better each time.

Not heard of the 10m issue, I wouldn't want to use a granny on anything other than a one-off or occasional basis.
van

Post by van »

The long cable post was on SpeakEv but it wouldn't register me so couldn't follow up.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

van wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:43 pm The long cable post was on SpeakEv but it wouldn't register me so couldn't follow up.

I found that thread, it was the experience of one person - you might get others here (or there) saying theirs works fine with 10m.
3twins

Post by 3twins »

I ordered a white Family Pro performance with heat pump east Derry wheels and bike carrier prep on the 21st of July. I have an Ioniq PHEV and a podpoint 7.2kw charger I installed when I got the Ioniq. The charger has given no issues so far (thought the Ioniq only draws 3.2KW). With regard to the length of the charging lead. I can't imagine it should be an issue if the cable is designed to carry 7.2Kw over that distance. That usually means the conductor diameter needs to be a bit bigger (to reduce resistance) compared to a 2m cable offering the same resistance to the load.
Id.3 Family Pro Performance East Derry's Heat pump and cycle carrier prep.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

van wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:07 am But have read several reports that the Zappi/iD.3 don't like each other in Eco or Eco+ modes.
I've been using my Zappi in Eco mode with solar panels, no problems.
Eco+ seemed to have little advantage when there's so much Sun, so I've not tried it.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

There does seem to be an issue that if the car is plugged into the Zappi for a period of time with no activity the car will go to sleep, if you then try and restablish charging the Zappi can't wake the car. This means having to wake the car manually with the key fob. I don't find it a huge problem or even do I encounter it frequently.
van

Post by van »

Thanks that's useful to know.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

We have a pod point solo and it’s fine, the tethered version has 7.5m cable, it’s neat in that the cable stores by winding it round the pod point unit itself. We have untethered so that we could get a 10m cable, also worked fine and stores around the pod.

2A746EF6-6D15-4DA7-BB0F-80E4F2E4732C.jpeg

SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
van

Post by van »

Leccy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:10 pm We have a pod point solo and it’s fine, the tethered version has 7.5m cable, it’s neat in that the cable stores by winding it round the pod point unit itself. We have untethered so that we could get a 10m cable, also worked fine and stores around the pod.
Very useful to know, thanks. I've heard bad things about PodPoint customer service. Have you had any issues?
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Ha, yes, their customer service is interesting, I suspect they are ludicrously busy. I ordered via their website (£549 installed), jumped through the hoops, paid, heard nothing. They queried my OLEV info via email, then again nothing. I called, emailed, messaged, got nowhere then out of the blue they called to offer installation next day, which was a couple of weeks after order.

Install was good, it works fine (29 mph). We schedule charges via their app to get the Octopus Go 5p rate at night.
Last edited by Leccy on Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

van wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:07 am Hi forum,

Getting nervous because I thought my main headache now would be choosing a home charger. My Solar installer has recommended a Zappi. But have read several reports that the Zappi/iD.3 don't like each other in Eco or Eco+ modes. As we have Solar PV those modes would have been a big plus. However, as we're expecting a Tesla Powerwall in the next few weeks a less smart charger would do. So I've joined the forum to see what other people's experiences have been.

The nerves have started because of reading all the problems people are experiencing with all sorts of things, not just charging. Wow! I suppose it's to be expected from a new car using new technology, which has perhaps been rushed to market, but the nerves are certainly jangling. Perhaps by the time our car is delivered (estimate 5 months) more software updates would have sorted a good number of those. (Having worked in IT I know we can expect that those same updates will introduce new issues too!)

The closest we can park to the best position for a home charger, avoiding making it a trip hazard when in use, means that a 6.5m cable would be stretched, so a 7.5m would be better. As the charger would then be by the front door we're considering moving the home charger behind the adjacent garden gate for aesthetics/security, but would then need more like a 10m cable. Have just read on another forum that the iD.3 refuses to charge over a long cable. Anyone else had this experience? We don't do many miles and won't need to charge every day, should we get a granny cable instead of a home charger and just use faster charging when on trips? We have an external electricty circuit that could be extended to have a socket by the gate.

Any advice would be much appreciated, and of course I'll keep reading all the other forum posts! TIA.

Can’t comment on the long cable experience, but one of the reasons I am installing the Hypervolt charger for our incoming ID.3 was because it could draw from solar in future in a very similar way to the Zappi. You can get the Hypervolt with 5, 7.5 and 10m tethered cables as well, which sounds useful for your use case.

Might be worth checking out as an option for your “preferred” approach.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
van

Post by van »

Utumno wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:58 pm
van wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:07 am Hi forum,

Can’t comment on the long cable experience, but one of the reasons I am installing the Hypervolt charger for our incoming ID.3 was because it could draw from solar in future in a very similar way to the Zappi. You can get the Hypervolt with 5, 7.5 and 10m tethered cables as well, which sounds useful for your use case.

Might be worth checking out as an option for your “preferred” approach.
Thanks it looks very promising. 68 Trust pilot reviews, all 5*? Almost seems too good to be true :D
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.